Improving the sound

dm_gsxr

Weirdo Freak
Donating Member
Registered
Installing A New Horn

When I'm on the Hayabusa and on a trip, I'll sometimes hit the horn, just to hit it. Much of the time I can't hear it or it's very very faint. Unfortunately the stock horn is just pretty wimpy. As such, I went out last year and picked up a Siebel 139db air horn. I bought it from TwistedThrottle.com and have had it sitting in the garage since last year. Mainly because I haven't been able to find what I think is a good and audible place to put it. I really didn't want to hide the trumpets since that'd muffle the horn.

But when I attended the Sport-Touring.Net National Meet in June, one of the riders happened to have this very same horn installed on his bike. He demo'd it to us (after yelling "horn" in the parking lot to warn people) and it's frigging loud. As loud as it is, I figured I could just mount it anywhere at all and it'd be loud and certainly louder than the stock horn.

The horn comes in a small box with several suggested methods of installing the horn and also wiring suggestions if you have a single power wire or double wires to your horn. It comes with a regulator so the horn gets power and goes off when you press the horn button, a bolt and an mount platform.

I decided, after a bunch of searching, to see if the horn'd fit in my trunk. There's a lot of room and as long as my tool kit fit, I figure I was coming out ahead. I mounted it in the trunk, bolt through the fender, and then mounted the regulator to the side of the compartment. I ran the ground from the horn to the ground on the bike. I ran power to the BlueSea fuse box I already installed (it has a fuse at the power point and an inline fuse to the battery) and to the horn. I ran the ground and power from the original wires back along the frame and under the tank to the regulator. I left the stock horn in place since if I need to reconnect the horn, I just need to pull the two wires and plug the other two back to the stock horn and I'm on my way.

This is the BlueSea fuse box I installed. The wire to the top left of the picture is the data line for the GPS. One of the white twistied lines is the Gerbing's Wire and the other is for the Autocom helmet speaker/mic system. I'm using the tail light line as the powerup line. When the bike has power, the BlueSea also has power which then lets the rest of the farkles get power.

Taken from the right side, this is the ground for the horn. On the other side of the compartment, I connected the ground for the regulator used for the BlueSea fusebox.

Because the horn was leaning flat against the rear of the compartment, I whipped out the dremel and cut out a pair of holes for the sound. Since the cowling gets put back in, it's probably not going to be a ton of help but every little bit helps.

The cowling back on the bike. You can just see the horn peeking out from the tail section. Didn't realize there was that much room, eh?

And the finished product. You can't even tell I've been mucking about with the bike.

Carl

so how loud would you say the horn is? like a car horn, a firetruck horn, a train horn? what would you compare it to

Why wouldn't you want it facing forward like every other horn inexistance?

so how loud would you say the horn is? like a car horn, a firetruck horn, a train horn? what would you compare it to
I'd have to compare it to a semi truck horn. When I hit the horn after it was all buttoned up, I had to plug my right ear with my finger. While riding last night I was able to clearly hear it on the freeway where the stock horn was just about out of audible range. There were times (with the stock horn) that I couldn't hear it at all.

Carl

Due to its size, there wasn't really a good place to put it up front without having it hang like a booger from the nose. I made several attempts last year to place it in the nose without much success. I even considered cutting up the piece above the fender but I couldn't find a good spot to put it in there. That's why I waited so long. I thought I really needed to have it in front and facing forward. After hearing it at the STN Meet, the sound of the horn is so all encompassing that its position on the bike didn't detract from the overall sound.

Granted it's pointing backwards and it's certainly louder at the rear, but it's so loud that its position really doesn't matter. It's loud at 139 decibles (the sound of a jet engine taking off is the comparison on the charts).

It'd be nice if I could put it in the nose or somewhere up front but there's just not a good place for it.

Carl

Due to its size, there wasn't really a good place to put it up front without having it hang like a booger from the nose. I made several attempts last year to place it in the nose without much success. I even considered cutting up the piece above the fender but I couldn't find a good spot to put it in there. That's why I waited so long. I thought I really needed to have it in front and facing forward. After hearing it at the STN Meet, the sound of the horn is so all encompassing that its position on the bike didn't detract from the overall sound.

Granted it's pointing backwards and it's certainly louder at the rear, but it's so loud that its position really doesn't matter. It's loud at 139 decibles (the sound of a jet engine taking off is the comparison on the charts).

It'd be nice if I could put it in the nose or somewhere up front but there's just not a good place for it.

Carl
dm,

Someone else here once posted a system that had an air horn system w/ three horns mounted in the nose.  May be too late to look, but try searching.  They mounted the compreesor under the seat/cowl I believe and ran the lines up to the nose.

Check out these guys:
http://www.hornblasters.com/?pageid=contact

<!--EDIT|Over_Easy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1157119188 -->

Installing A New Horn

This is the BlueSea fuse box I installed. The wire to the top left of the picture is the data line for the GPS. One of the white twistied lines is the Gerbing's Wire and the other is for the Autocom helmet speaker/mic system. I'm using the tail light line as the powerup line. When the bike has power, the BlueSea also has power which then lets the rest of the farkles get power.
MAn -what are all those wires?
Looks like sphagetti in thar.
tounge.gif

Whats the purpose of the extra fuse box?

That horn looks similar to the BAD BOY horn someone else here installed. I forget who
rock.gif
There's got to be a way of mounting it up front. I may get one soon.
cool.gif

...edited by BiG-T...

That horn looks similar to the BAD BOY horn someone else here installed. I forget who
rock.gif
cool.gif
I have one installed.

You can view pics by .

I mounted in the stock horn location.

As you will see, ICE has a massive horn install.

MAn -what are all those wires?
Looks like sphagetti in thar.
tounge.gif

Whats the purpose of the extra fuse box?

rock.gif
cool.gif
I'm more of a sport-tourer so the wires reflect that installation. GPS power, Gerbing's electric gear, horn/accent lights (for night-time visibility and maintenance), 12v plug, 5 function digital meter, and autocom helmet speaker/microphone power. The wires from the yellow box are there too and now the additional wires from the horn.

It's all pretty much tied down (I think I missed retying one of the spots now that I look at the pic) so nothing's loose other than the autocom and gerbing's which are unwrapped and run up the seat when I use them.

On the horn, perhaps a smaller profiled horn would work better. I looked at a pair of horns that had about the same problem. The 'busa's so streamlined and tight against the bike, there's not a lot of room to put extra stuff on the bike. The front tire bumps up enough that everything needs to be pretty close to the current lines of the bodywork. I was going to whip up a metal strap and have it pointing down at the top of the fender but there really isn't a great deal of room behind the headlight. Plus it'd make it a lot harder to change the bulb (and I've changed it three times since I got it two years ago).

Carl

...edited by BiG-T...

rock.gif
cool.gif
I have one installed.

You can view pics by .

I mounted in the stock horn location.

As you will see, ICE has a massive horn install.
The horn looks very similar to mine. (the bad boy). I looked at having it mounted in the same place as the stock as you did, but I could see that the front fender would impact on the horn (from the lines on the forks) no matter which way I positioned it which was why I gave up on that location.

Carl

Carl
dm,

Someone else here once posted a system that had an air horn system w/ three horns mounted in the nose. May be too late to look, but try searching. They mounted the compreesor under the seat/cowl I believe and ran the lines up to the nose.

Check out these guys:
http://www.hornblasters.com/?pageid=contact
Yep, I can see them in the nose piece. It's just a single mounting point in the trunk so I can move it with ease if I find I can reposition it. It's not superglued into place
smile.gif

Carl

Back