Importing a Hayabusa from the UAE ...

Ruben

Donating Member
Registered
Need information on if I can eventually import a 2010 Hayabusa from the United Arab Emirates back to the U.S.

Been working here in (Abu Dhabi UAE) and finally went today and saw a Blue 2010... and a Blue 2010 M109 now with gear indicator...

Will decide on which color Busa later on but I need to find out if it's even possible to ship it back to Texas when I decide to go back home.

Thanks and oh yeah... I will post pictures on my next posts ... The YAS Marina Circuit F1 racetrack is down the street from the hotel I am staying at so will post pics of that too...

Any help is appreciated.... Thanks

loved the UAE (shuttled back-and-forth Jebel Ali, Dubai and Fujairah back in OCT '02-APR'03). Best to contact the Texas DMV for guidance or maybe some of the peeps from there can chime in.

Last edited:
Should be able to import no problems.Since these bikes are made to Euro specs.might have to pay some tax on it though.

Will send a PM to NJ and we'll see if this can be done. Has anyone ever imported one from Canada into the states ?

Gets boring here and would love to have a new bike... but only if I can get a good deal and take it back home when the time comes...

If not then I'll settle with a cheap used bike while I'm here.

I would check to see what model/spec/configuration is imported to UAE.

To be honest it's probably going to cost WAY to much in conversion rates. Even then importing, shipping, etc..etc...is going to be HIGH! Your best bet for a 2010 is either Canada which is a direct swap no changes other than the speedo gauges or Hawaii.

Much easier paperwork wise and shipping... :thumbsup:

Let us know what the quote you though... :laugh:

our prices are WAY higher than the states. So not sure what the thinking behind that is. New busa are going for 14gs here and i'm seeing them in the states for 8-9gs. And used is no better. Hope you find out the info you need and get the bike you want.

importing should be no issues at all. I really can't see a problem when our bikes are identical cross boarders. Canada and US have an agreement that all vehicles are identical emissions wise.

My 09 Busa from the dealer was 13K out the door here in Nova Scotia.
Not sure what the 2010's are going for.

Ruben-

I have been living and working overseas for the USG on and off for the last 20 years and have a bit of experience with this-

With regards to importing from UAE-

There are Federal rules and restrictions, and there are State rules and restrictions. Many are overlapping, but some may be different. Google it and you will find the answers.

There are different rules and regulations regarding the importation of foreign vehicles if you are in the Military or are employed by the USG- applying to both state and federal regulations.

Here is a link to Texas requirements:

Importing a Vehicle

As far as the federal gvt. is concerned, you will have to deal with the EPA, the DOT, and the CBP. It is the same for cars as it is for motorcycles. A quick rundown is listed below (and again, things are different if you are in the military or are a USG employee):

Automobiles
Automobiles imported into the United States must meet the fuel-emission requirements of the Environmental Protection Agency and the safety, bumper, and theft prevention standards of the U.S. Department of Transportation. Trying to import a car that doesn’t meet all the requirements can be difficult. Please see the Importing a Motor Vehicle page for more information. ( Importing a Motor Vehicle )

Almost all cars, vans, sport utility vehicles and so on that are bought in foreign countries must be modified to meet American standards, except most late model vehicles from Canada. Passenger vehicles that are imported on the condition that they be modified must be exported or destroyed if they are not modified acceptably. Also under these circumstances, the vehicle could require a bond upon entry until the conditions for admission have been met.

And even if the car does meet all federal standards, it might be subject to additional EPA requirements, depending on what countries it was driven in. You are strongly encouraged to contact EPA and DOT before importing a car.

Information on importing vehicles can be obtained from visiting the Environmental Protection Agency Web site. ( The Automotive Imports Facts Manual ) You may also find importation information from the U.S. Department of Transportation, Office of VehicleSafety Compliance. ( Vehicle Importation Regulations )

Copies of the brochure Importing or Exporting a Car can be obtained by writing to:

U.S. Customs and Border Protection
P.O. Box 7407
Washington, DC 20044

You can also visit the Exporting a Motor Vehicle page. ( Exporting a Motor Vehicle ) The EPA Automotive Imports Fact Manual can be obtained by writing to the Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, DC 20460. You can also visit the EPA Web site. ( Environmental Protection Agency )

Before you decide to import a motorcycle into the United States, you should ensure it conforms to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations. These agencies have very detailed requirements that can make importing a motorcycle difficult. EPA advises importers of motorcycles to obtain a letter from the manufacturer stating it conforms to U.S. standards. If it is imported into the U.S. and does not conform, it must be brought into compliance before it can clear Customs and Border Protection (CBP), be legally registered, used and or sold in the U.S.

If it is not brought into compliance, it can not remain in the U.S. and it must be exported or destroyed. For example, if the motorcycle you intend to import is a Harley Davidson, many of those bikes were exported for sale in a foreign country and do not conform to U.S. standards. The EPA has a detailed automotive facts manual describing emission requirements. You can get a copy of this manual, entitled the Automotive Imports Facts Manual (order #EPA420B94006) or other information about importing motor vehicles by calling the EPA import hotline at (734) 214-4100.

From a CBP standpoint, you must file an entry and the EPA Form 3520-1 and the DOT form HS-7 must be submitted to CBP to receive the Entry Summary document CBP Form 7501. You will need this form to register the motorcycle in your state.
Prior to filing your entry with CBP, ensure you have valid proof of ownership, which is an original certificate of title, or a certified copy of the original, and the bill of sale. You will be required to pay 1.5% to 2.9% duty, which will be assessed based on the purchase price or blue book value.

My best advice if you really want to try and do this is to go to the dealership that is closest to either Al Dhafra air base or Jebel Ali port (both are U.S. Military installations). These dealerships will likely have dealt with U.S. military members who have wanted to purchase a bike in UAE and import it back into the U.S. at the end of their tours. These dealerships will be the most knowledgeable, and hopefully they are honest with you and will not steer you wrong.
I think it will be a big pain in the ass if you are not in the military or with the USG as a direct hire. Not to say that it is impossible, but the time and headache may not be worth the $$$$.

Here is one man's dealings when trying to import an MV into the U.S. (off of another blog):

See below original post message concerning Importing my Bike from Malaysia to the USA and correspondence.

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: South Dakota

This will be a long thread and would appreciate valued input.

Purchased a new MV Augusta in Malaysia intending to ship back to the USA when my work in done at the end of the year, I contacted the local MV dealer in Malaysia whom I purchased the vehicle from (New Feb 2006) requesting for a Certificate of Compliance to verify the original manufacturer and specification that the bike was made to.

Eventually contacted MV Italy and was informed that the bike was manufactured to European / UK spec and would not directly comply with USA specs (Specific to Lights, turn signals, stickers and fuel tank but Tank is only applicable for California and not SD) The next issue was even with the Modifications we have an issue with the VIN number and received additional information from MV Augusta USA??

Question: If I modify the Lights, Turn Signals, Reflectors, & Stickers can I still register as MV Agusta USA say the frame does not have a USA spec Frame Number and will not be able to legally register the Bike?

Communications and replies from both MV Italy & MV Agusta USA

ABL (Me) to MV Agusta Italy

I am presently working in Malaysia but living in the USA, I purchased an MV Agusta Brutale 910 R Italia in February 2008 from Mofaz motorcycles in Malaysia. I would very much like to thank you for responding to Mofaz Motorcycles in Malaysia concerning a certificate of conformity and shipping my bike back to the USA.

Reply From MV Agusta Italy

From: "Francesco Valentini" <Francesco.Valentini@mvagusta.it>

> Date: Fri Feb 13, 9:08 PM

> To: <XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX>

> CC: "Norhaya" <norhaya.momos@mofaz.com>

> Subject: R: Fw R: MV AGUSTA BRUTALE 910 ITALIA

Dear XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX,

Unfortunately, your motorcycle is not suited for the US market. It was originally manufactured for the United Kingdom, which makes it fine for Malaysia. The US version of our Brutale has some major technical differences which are required in order to meet US EPA, CARB, and NHTSA requisites. I can briefly outline the main variations:

1. Frame number or VIN (Vehicle Identification Number): completely different system with respect to the USA.
2. Fuel tank assembly: your vehicle is not equipped with the vapor recovery system, known as "canister assembly", required for California.
3. Headlamp: your vehicle has a left hand drive version which is not permitted in the USA.
4. Regulatory stickers: all labels are different.
5. Distance of turn signals to front headlamp is less than US model. Should be increased using spacers.
6. Reflex reflectors: 2 front, 2 rear.

Technically, we could transform your motorcycle and modify it into a US version. It's basically a matter of costs on your part. What we cannot do is re-stamp the frame number, thereby giving your vehicle another ID. This is not possible by law. Therefore, I'm afraid we as manufacturers cannot help you import into the USA, and I cannot issue a Certificate of Conformity for the motorcycle in subject to be imported to the USA.

Your best option is to sell the motorcycle in Malaysia and buy another in the USA. I realize this is costly, but it might actually save you time and money in the long term.

Best regards,

Francesco

Reply from Myself to MV Agusta Italy

Dear Francesco,

Many thanks for your valued response.

If all modifications were done with the exception of the Tank (I live in South Dakota, this restriction does not apply in that state) and the VIN number which I'm not sure is a problem as long as it meets the US spec.

Can this work be done by Mofaz in Malaysia, with the original UK C.O.C. issued and a certified notice from Mofaz that the modifications were completed as required?

Really trying not to sell the bike as it means so much to me with only 2800KL on the clock

If you think this is possible I would like to request Mofaz to source the Headlight, Stickers, Reflectors etc as required.

Kind Regards

ABL

Reply from MV Agusta Italy

Dear XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX,

I can appreciate your reasons for not wanting to sell the motorcycle. I would do the same. However, please consider that even if the motorcycle was modified from a technical point of view, I cannot guarantee that US authorities would approve it being registered in the USA. You may in fact manage to import it, but registration is another matter altogether. The first thing they would look at is the frame number (VIN), and yours is not recognized in the USA (NHTSA database). It is EC, not US. Furthermore, we cannot issue another Certificate of Conformity for this vehicle, since only one gets stamped for any given motorcycle. In addition, even if you had the EC CoC, the USA does not accept it as appropriate for the US market. The reason is simple. Essentially, the EC CoC states that the vehicle being considered conforms to all EC directives, which are different to those implemented in the United States. Therefore, it is pretty much useless.

Manufacturers make different versions of vehicles for various markets, and the reasons are basically those stated in my past and present correspondence. Different technical setup, VINs, and accompanying documentation/specifications. If it were possible, then manufacturers would only make one version for any given model, and simply issue documents depending on the market, after having appropriately modified the vehicle according to the standards of that market. Unfortunately, it just isn’t that easy.

As a manufacturer, this is our official answer to your enquiry. However, there may be organizations within the USA, for example testing laboratories, that test and issue certifications for any single vehicle. In Europe, one can do this with organizations such as TUV. In Australia, there are also ways to get around these problems by contacting authorized workshops. Firstly, the vehicle is transformed with original components, then tested. If all is according to the directives of that market, then a certification is issued. Please know, however, that these are very costly exercises, and the time required is quite lengthy. In addition, the result is not guaranteed. We as manufacturers cannot intervene, nor can we issue any sort of additional certification once the vehicle has been transformed.

For these reasons, my suggestions is to sell the motorcycle and buy a US version. You would benefit from a risk, cost, and time point of view.

If you require a contact in the US for verifying availability of models etc., please contact MV Agusta USA LLC. Explain your problem and mention that you’ve already corresponded with me. They may have something in stock for a reasonable price. Speak to Matthew Stutzman, or write him an email: matt@mvagustausa.com

Final Response from MV Agusta USA

Dear XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:

I am very sorry to inform you that MV Agusta USA is unable to assist you in your desire to convert your Brutale in order to be imported and registered for use in the USA.

What my colleague, Mr. Valentini has related to you is true. Without a USA-specification frame number (VIN) you will be unable to legally register your motorcycle for use on public roads. I realize this is not what you want to hear, and that you are reluctant to part with your motorcycle, however we cannot in good faith suggest for you to risk the time, expense, and work to pursue a third party certification as a sensible option. In the event you do elect to sell your motorcycle and wish to locate a USA specification MV Agusta motorcycle as a replacement upon your return, it would be my pleasure to help you locate a replacement and introduce you to the dealer best able to assist you at that time.

Respectfully,

Matthew Stutzman
MV Agusta USA, LLC

One thing I forgot to mention...

I tried to import a foreign motorcycle into the U.S. in 2003 when I was stationed overseas, and even though I am a USG employee, I could not import it since there was nothing that could be done to bring the particular make/model up to U.S. emissions spec. There was an exemption for models that were produced prior to 1975, but the locals knew this and charged 5x the cost of a new model (it was a Chang-Jiang- WWII BMW copy).

Back