Important things most never think of...

JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
Listed below is a compilation of my thoughts, experiences and riding knowledge aqquired throughout my many years of riding motorcycles...so...I'd like to ask everyone here to please feel free to share your personal first hand thoughts, experience and riding knowledge by adding to this list here as well..as follows..

GENERAL...

THOUGHT #1 "FLUIDS": Beside "OIL"?...there's (4) other fluids that need changing at regular intervals including 1. Brake Fluid, 2. Hydraulic Clutch Fluid (if so equipped), 3. Coolant and 4. Fork Oil...and every 10,000 miles is a good number for each of those four.

THOUGHT #2 "STEERING HEAD BEARINGS": If your bike seems to be exhibiting any signs of head shake and/or sloppy handling at turn in?...it may not be your steering damper that needs adjusting...check the tension on those steering head bearings.

THOUGHT #3 "BRAKES": The best brakes money can buy are only as good as the BRAKE PADS that are on them.

CORNERING & SKILLZ...

THOUGHT #1 "SPEED & SKILLZ": You'll NEVER "Be Fast" until you first learn to be "Smooth and Relaxed".

THOUGHT #2 "BRAKING": Is best to get done BEFORE you enter your curve and assume your appropriate angle of lean.

THOUGHT #3 "HEAD POSITION": Ask yourself..."Are you keeping your head level with the natural horizon (as you should) as you traverse that curve in a low lean?"...keep a level head.

THOUGHT #4 "BREATHING": Ask yourself..."Are you breathing when you go through that curve on the borderline of 80+% hot?"...your brain is a processesor that runs on oxygen..it needs air...and if your holding your breath through a hot curve chances are you're not "Relaxed".

THOUGHT #5 "OVER-STEERING": And many do this..even I've been found guilty a time or two..but with a good neutral tire profile one should in return recieve extremely nuetral steering...even on a massive busa..so if and when you achieve "Relaxed"?...try using less hand pressure/counter-steering and give the the bike it's head so to speak..much like one might do with a race horse...light handed on the steering and give it the reigns..and you may be shocked at how a bike will assume it's optimum steering angle all on it's own...or at least assist in pointing the wary operator in the right direction.

THOUGHT #6 "VISUALIZATION": Always look through the curve as far as you can and "Visualize Your Line" JUST BEFORE entering that curve and use the all the lane that god and the D.O.T. gave ya...brake to entrance speed, enter wide, breath, lean to hold that line as you apex tight and then exit hard and wide with no mid-turn steering corrections...get that done in a relaxed state?..and NOW your catching on!
biggrin.gif

and finally?..for today?...

THOUGHT #7 "TRACTION": Is highly under-rated as most only think of traction with respect to launching and/or cornering yet very few seem to acknowledge the 3rd huge benefit traction offers which is that "TRACTION" is what enables you to "STOP QUICKER" as well...as when you apply the brakes?..a stickier tire will resist skidding at far higher applied levels of rapid deceleration. So while "Traction" not only helps you launch better and corner faster?...it also helps you to "STOP QUICKER"...enabling road racer types to carry their speed further and deeper into the curve entrances than a competitor on tires with less traction can....hence?...the oxymoronic tone of...

"Quicker Stopping Does In Fact Enable You To Be Faster"

Hope you enjoyed and....L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|JINKSTER
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147614926 -->

Nice inputs Bill and remember that Peter Pan is the best peanut butter.

tounge.gif

Seriously those are things that typically don't come naturally to people.  It takes concentration to aquire the proper level of "Zen" to be a good and safe rider.  Thanks for the taking the time to put it in black and white for us.  Even those of us that have been on 2 wheels for lots of years can always use a refresher.

Don

<!--EDIT|usn04limited
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147618863 -->

Great write up, I have rode for over 40 years and I learn things on this site every day. Thanks!

Thanks for the insight. As I read it, I found myself asking, "DO I do that?", etc. No matter how much we ride, or how much we know, a "refresher" is always necessary. Thanks for your thoughts and time to put them together!!!

Thanks... Good read! I really can't add much more to it. Thanks again
cool.gif

Really GOOD and informative read. DAmn Jinkster!! You've been coming up with some REALLY GOOD threads lately.

Since riding season is just gett'in kicked off down south here where we need some cool?..i figured i'd bump this old thread back to life! So?..if ya cant ride safe?...RIDE GOOD! :laugh:

Back