Image I would NOT want to see on a skydive

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
And THIS is why you check your airspace when spotting the load...

Capture3.JPG

Wouldn't the jet be moving forward faster than you are dropping down?

Wouldn't the jet be moving forward faster than you are dropping down?

Yes, in this frame the jet is already past and cleared them, but when you watch the vid, in about 5 secs they are level with the jet's tail. 5 seconds earlier...it could have been bad....they obviously did NOT see the approaching jet, because there is no recognition or attempt to evade beforehand.

Wow -- glad I've never seen that in person -- You say you saw the whole clip, did the turbulence behind the aricraft throw them at all?

I was once part of a 4-way jumping out of a Porter following a couple of solo jumpers when one of them decided to open at 6500' without any waveoff. The bastard almost giftwrapped all 4 of us. As I flew by, I felt like I was close enough to punch him in the face. Fortunately nobody was hurt, and wise people on the ground walked us away long before he ever got down and others sent him home (banned from the DZ) while we were packing.

--Sky

I think that Would make me crap my pants

does poop fly faster than people? because I would have as well and if I made it successfully past the jet, after I realized "ok I'm not dead yet" my next concern would be "aww crap, that poop is gonna hit me in the head" :laugh:

no really that would suck to see....wonder if the pilot of the jet noticed the jumpers

The thought of "uncontrolled enviroment' comes to mind. The same danger we have riding on the street because you never know with 100% certainty when somebody is going to occupy your point in space time.

Here's the full video:

Not that great a quality, and I don't think you see the flyby until about 6:20 mark. I SURE WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THE PILOT SAW IT...

I don't think they felt any turblence...I'd be too concerned with that wet feeling in my jumpsuit :)

As far as traffic control. Jump planes normally fly over Drop Zones with permanant NOTAMs (parachute sign on a sectional) but I've seen sight-seeing private aircraft fly right over the top of a DZ and not even think about someone being above them. The pilot is supposed to call a 1 minute out and a 'jumpers away" call on the radio. However, in heavy traffic areas I can see how it might happen.

One time I was a 14000 in a Blackhawk over one of the DZ's at Fort Campbell, and called off jump run while watching 8 Chinooks fly under us over our landing area...

Sky, i'll have to tell you about the time (long ago when I first started jumping) where I ended up inside a guy's center cell...

Last edited by a moderator:
wow so even if they miss the aircraft, is there a chance of jet wash? prob not the correct term.

wow so even if they miss the aircraft, is there a chance of jet wash? prob not the correct term.

As long as you were in freefall when you went thru it, might make you unstable but as soon as you passed thru it you'd be ok (THAT might be fun). However, you would not want to be hanging under canopy anywere near it...

To be fair, so long as I see it, I wouldn't mind so much, and if you're still in free fall the wash could be a hell of an entertaining ride... It would be the looming shadow followed by the dawning realization. And the "Oh S%^@!!!!" Cause you know you won't hear that thing coming...

OK, After watching the video... Never mind, I would have issues. Many of them. I wonder if the jet had already taken evasive action prior to entering frame? Thus the proximity instead of headlines.

That is a crazy sight...this is more comforting...may it inspire somebody to try jumping...
I skydive and other crazy memories (A tribute to friends) - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
If you jump out of one airplane only to be hit by another airplane, the universe wanted you dead for grated reasons than humans can fathom. :laugh:

actually watching the video the jet appears to be ascending after it passes... maybe its just me or the angle of the video but certainly seems to be angled up

I agree with da frog though. If you were hit by another plane having jumped from one, the universe was conspiring against you :laugh:

Back