Image I would NOT want to see on a skydive

Glad it was a happy ending. Had 4 people entered the cockpit theirs a good chance everybody involved could have died.

Not that great a quality, and I don't think you see the flyby until about 6:20 mark. I SURE WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THE PILOT SAW IT...

I bet not -- probably had their heads down flying IFR.

Did you notice how the first person to see the plane was the student? It only entered the AFF instructors field of view as it was nearly under them.

Since these were the last jumpers off the plane, I wonder if the previous group got a look at the plane coming at them :shocked:

Sky, i'll have to tell you about the time (long ago when I first started jumping) where I ended up inside a guy's center cell...

Ride that to the ground did ya?

--Sky

Article from 1993 where a parachutist actually hit a small plane:

NORTHAMPTON, Mass. - An Auburn, Wash., woman was among four people killed yesterday when a skydiver hit their plane and sent it crashing to earth.

The parachutist, Alfred Peters, 51, who had jumped from another plane, survived after falling onto the tail of the single-engine Piper. Authorities said he was free-falling and hit the plane at about 7,500 feet.

"It damaged it so severely that it went into a tailspin and never pulled out, just struck the ground," said Mary Culver, a spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration.

The plane's passengers were Christina Park, 18, of Auburn, a Massachusetts Institute of Technology student; Jonas Klein, 18, of Boston, also an MIT student; and Jean Kimball, 45, of Pine Plains, N.Y., according to Trooper William Pinkes of the Massachusetts State Police. The pilot was Elliot Klein, 49, of Rhinebeck, N.Y, father of Jonas.

Park, a 1992 graduate of Thomas Jefferson High School in Federal Way, was a sophomore biology major at MIT. She was returning to the university from a trip to New York, said her mother, Cecilia Park.

Christina Park was an outstanding student at Thomas Jefferson, said her high-school counselor, Dorothy Bahr. Bahr said Park was a National Merit Scholar and Washington State Scholar who excelled at math and science.

Cecilia Park said her daughter was working hard at MIT and wanted to be a doctor.

"I was always happy with her," she said. "I never had to talk

about homework. She was a very responsible girl."

Cecilia Park said her daughter talked about joining the Peace Corps and working for other international public-service organizations.

"She said, `I study very hard, but I don't want to do this just for myself only,' " her mother said. "She said, `I want to give my knowledge to others who need it.' "

Christina Park, who has a younger sister at Thomas Jefferson, had plane reservations to return home to Auburn for Thanksgiving, said her mother. "But now she's gone."

Peters deployed his parachute after hitting the plane, authorities said. There were no radio transmissions from the plane after the collision.

Peters was in stable condition with a broken ankle in Cooley Dickinson Hospital in Northampton, said his wife, Joyce.

"All he keeps talking about is seeing that plane coming at him," she said. "He said he had just jumped and all of a sudden there it was." She said her husband had been skydiving about four months.

Dave Strickland, owner of Airborne Adventures, the skydiving operation, said a permanent warning is in effect within a three-mile radius of the airport.

"It's like a road sign saying `One Way Do Not Enter,' " Strickland said. "All I can think of is the pilot may have been off course and did not know his location."

The flight originated in Poughkeepsie, N.Y. The plane crashed about one mile from Northampton Airport in a wooded area near the Connecticut River, said State Police Sgt. John Healy.

Seattle Times South bureau reporter Wayne Wurzer contributed to this report.

Ride that to the ground did ya?

--Sky

Other jumper cut away - I grabbed up all the loose fabric between my legs and landed it. Took me a a couple years to figure out just how bad it could have gone....

So I'm assuming some unintentional CRW? What was your altitude when you guys 'hooked up'?

Here's the deal: Me and another jumper had about 250 jumps each. We decided we would jump out at the same time, but depoy at different altitudes (yep, no tracking away **STUPID**). As you can guess, we didn't exactly do as planned - either didn't open or different opening rates. In any case, in the opening sequence (about 4K) we turned into each other; I saw him coming and lifted my feet - almost cleared his canopy but hit the front cell and pretty much went inside of it. His canopy collapsed, so we are both flying under mine. I'm yelling "CUT AWAY" and he's yelling "I'M CUTTING AWAY" at about 2.8K. He cuts away - gone with good reserve; I'm left sort of giftwrapped. I take up as much of the main as I can before it starts to refill, and hold it between my legs and land it. I thought about letting it go, but was afraid if I didn't get fully clear and something got hung, the canopy might reinflate and get into mine - and I'd have no options left. That was 1992 20 years ago and I still remember it clearly. I lived to tell the tale to other jumpers and use the example of my stupidity to hopefully keep some of them from trying same.

And I will NEVER EVER EVER do CReW.....:)

That there is a story -- makes me more nervous to think about than the jet...

Glad you lived to tell it

--Sky

Like I said, it took me a couple of years before I figured out just how LUCKY we got that day....

Here's the deal: Me and another jumper had about 250 jumps each. We decided we would jump out at the same time, but depoy at different altitudes (yep, no tracking away **STUPID**). As you can guess, we didn't exactly do as planned - either didn't open or different opening rates. In any case, in the opening sequence (about 4K) we turned into each other; I saw him coming and lifted my feet - almost cleared his canopy but hit the front cell and pretty much went inside of it. His canopy collapsed, so we are both flying under mine. I'm yelling "CUT AWAY" and he's yelling "I'M CUTTING AWAY" at about 2.8K. He cuts away - gone with good reserve; I'm left sort of giftwrapped. I take up as much of the main as I can before it starts to refill, and hold it between my legs and land it. I thought about letting it go, but was afraid if I didn't get fully clear and something got hung, the canopy might reinflate and get into mine - and I'd have no options left. That was 1992 20 years ago and I still remember it clearly. I lived to tell the tale to other jumpers and use the example of my stupidity to hopefully keep some of them from trying same.

And you have the poop stained jump suit hanging on your wall as a reminder right? :laugh:

Happened too fast to be scared about it....the shaking didn't start until AFTER I landed :)

danggggggggggggggggg

Back