I'm USA bound

celticBandit

Registered
OK, I've finally done it. After years of dreaming about it, I booked flights last night to travel from Cork to Heathrow, then on to Los Angeles. I'll be going with my other half and our son(11).

At the end of March we are going to spend 16 days driving around Cali, Arizona and Nevada. Ports of call will include Disneyland, SanDiego, Phoenix, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Las Vegas, Death Valley, Yosemite, San Francisco, and back to Universal studios in LA. We're gonna do the whole tourist thing. I can't wait.

If anyone has suggestions on good places to visit, that would be great. I've been to the USA before on short trips, NY, Boston and Chicago but nothing on this scale.

:cheerleader::cheerleader:
:beerchug::beerchug::
:laugh::laugh:
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Looks like you have the good sights covered. Just be sure to take your time - remember, quality over quantity. Be safe and have fun.

Take the time to visit Zion National Park in the Southwest Corner of Utah. Absolutely stunning park and must see for anyone visiting the area. Zion National Park

My reasons are: You can easily access stunning views via a well managed bus system. The majority of trails allow kids, wives, fat people, and generally out of shape folks easy access to beautiful scenery. If you're feeling jiggy hit the Angel's Landing trail for a fantastic hike and 2500ft vistas on either side.

Have fun in the beautiful South West!

Last edited:
better stick with the highpoints... 16 days is going to be a whirlwind :)

Out of Phx, you could spend a day going east through Globe/Miami and run the "Salt river canyon" lots of scenery and then head northerly and wind up in Show low.. From there maybe head across to Flagstaff and then up to the Grand Canyon..

Lots of "mountains" and amazing views..

Here is a 400 mile loop that includes a few of the more popular AZ sites.. Petrified forest, Meteor crater, salt river canyon, Sedona, and Flagstaff... Lots more within an hour or two anywhere on the route..

Sedona is maybe 130 miles from the "south rim" and from there you could head for Lake Mead and the Hoover dam (2 hours?)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=Apache+Junction&daddr=Globe+AZ+to:Show+low+to:31100+I-40,+Holbrook,+AZ+86025+(Petrified+Forest+National+Park)+to:sedona+to:meteor+crater&hl=en&geocode=%3B%3B%3BFZ-3FQId-W1w-SGiFxOZuxiDUg%3B%3B&mra=ls&sll=34.302606,-111.082764&sspn=2.572721,5.822754&ie=UTF8&ll=34.157273,-110.945435&spn=2.577163,5.822754&z=8

Good luck routing... so much to see :) IF you can afford it, take an "air tour" of the Grand Canyon.... just unreal..

google up "apache tears" and other tourist attractions... post up any you might like to see and I am sure plenty of folk have been there and can tell you if worth the time..

Last edited:
Alcatraz in San Fransico and Bubba Gumps resturant (same pier) based on the movie forest gump - great food. Oh and Science Musem in San Jose!!! Have fun, and post up lots of pics. Make a list of the the things you really want to see, split them up good weather, bad weather. Then you have something to do everyday no matter what. You can also buy tickets to alot of the touristy places online. Will save you from having to wait. We did that for the boat to alcatraz. So nice to walk past the long line of people waiting and get our tickets and be on our way!!! :cheerleader:

Oh and must drive across the golden gate bridge when the fog starts rolling in. That is AWESOME!!!!! Ok, freaky, but awesome.

Last edited:
Congratulations! The Western United States are much, much different...both topographically and culturally, than the cities you've listed as having previously visited.

I always cringe when I think about people who fly into JFK, spend a few days visiting NYC, then fly back home and tell people what the U.S. is like.

Monterey Bay Aquarium if you decide to head north out of SoCal. Drive the PCH north out of Santa Monica..

Thanks for the feedback. I really can't wait. I've always loved America. Sounds a bit corney but everyting is so much bigger and it really is the land of opportunity. Who knows if all goes well, we may someday emigrate.......one thing is certain, I'd have a lot more Busa buds haha.

ok i have to ask what is the republic of cork is that in ireland... If so i have been wanting to go there for sometime now

ok i have to ask what is the republic of cork is that in ireland... If so i have been wanting to go there for sometime now

:thumbsup: Yep. It's actually County Cork, down in the south of Ireland, but we Cork people have an attitude similar to that of Texans "Biggest County = Best County" :rofl:

Granted the rest of Ireland doesn't agree, but some of us like to call it the Peoples republic of Cork, it's a bit of a joke around here. You're welcome anytime.

that would be awesome i have been trying to gwet some pub shirts or local mugs from there and no one has came through i might ask you a favor one of these days if you dont mind... i would love to come over just to see the country and possible do some riding

Sounds great :thumbsup: Let me know when you are going to get to San Francisco, I'm only 1 hour from there :beerchug:

About 30 minutes if I take the Busa :laugh:

Absolutely fantastic.

Contact me (send PM first contact) before you come to SoCal, and we'll roll out the red carpet for you.

Sounds like you're going to have a jaw-dropping, eye-popping trip. This part of the world is spectacular, and you won't want to leave.

:beerchug:

:thumbsup: Yep. It's actually County Cork, down in the south of Ireland, but we Cork people have an attitude similar to that of Texans "Biggest County = Best County" :rofl:

Granted the rest of Ireland doesn't agree, but some of us like to call it the Peoples republic of Cork, it's a bit of a joke around here. You're welcome anytime.

Very well put Sir :laugh: - have a fun trip.

and were 2 hrs. east of San Fran in the gold country hwy49, you know, the 49ers and Coloma gold discovery site. Another 1hr or so east and your at Lake Tahoe. If ya head out this way shoot me a PM :beerchug:

Coolness! Ditto on the visit to Ireland, plan to return some day with wife in tow once kids have scooted out of the nest..beautifull country...not that i've been there:whistle:that you know, or anybody would admit to???:laugh:

Back