I'm thinking I heard top end motor tapping while getting on it!

Chango

Registered
Let me start by saying I realize I know very little when it comes to motorcycles. I'm learning as I go along. I ride rather tame in comparison to others. However yesterday on the open highway I decided to get on it a little and notice some tapping coming from the top of the motor at around 5000 RPMS but then as I went through it smoothed out. Is this normal? If not where do I go from here and what could be the issue? Any and all Input is apprecieated!

Could this be the cam chain tensioner? friend of mine said that the busa has automatic cam tensioner and that it will actually adjust it's self. Is this true?

My bike has a similar issue. When first starting the bike up and in between cold and operating temp I will have a slight ticking noise when reed. It sounds like it is the cam chain. I've hear things from timing chain to exhaust leak. I let it get to operating temp before starting to ride. I've read that it's not a major issue. I will most likely change the tensioner and check for exhaust leaks. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in. Goodluck!

Thank you for your response. I had no idea what it could be. I'm known to baby my bike and I change oil quite a bit I use full synthetic. So I figure it couldn't be motor damage. Your response does ease my worry. Thanks again!

Gen II engines are widely know to tick loudly - particularly at start up. It is normal - if it's more than a quick tick tick tick you may want to have a mechanic listen and confirm that it's the normal tick tick or something more serious.

I checked my Gen II at the 15,000 mile mark and they were within specs. My understanding is they rarely need to be adjusted and unless you have something go south or change something they hold their adjustment pretty good.

Pretty normal as already stated. A couple of things you might want to check.

Spark plugs-pull them and give them a look. Make sure they are tight when reinstalled.

Make sure you are using the right octane gas. Too low and you may have preignition (pinging).

Plugs are fine. But I did go to a lower 87 octane as suggested by a friend and it seems to have gone away. That just seems strange to me.
Wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it for myself!

I shouldn't seem strange the lower the octane the easier it burns, but regardless of that, the bike is designed and tuned for 87. Glad you got it worked out.

I will definitely try to remember this information. My first thought was valve train instead of spark knock.

Back