I'm sick and tired of watching the news

Bumblebee

Donating Member
Registered
Almost every time I turn on the news, it is getting so sensationalized it makes me ill. Every story has to be pumped up to the max in order to sell news it seems.

I know some stories are important to be aware of, natural disasters, shootings, terrorist attacks and the like but the daily hum drum news is what I'm talking about. Although there are times they (news reporters) sensationalize these as well.

While we are on the subject of news, a while back 3 young men drove onto a remote farm one night and attempted to steal an ATV. The farmer was home with his family and when he confronted them, some sort of scuffle occurred. Being out-numbered, he shot one of the young men who happened to be an indigenous youth.

The farmer was acquitted (he did get charged with gun related offences) but the family of the lad who was shot (and killed) used the indigenous card and went to the UN quoting this was racially motivated and even a short movie has been made about it. If this lad was non-aboriginal, that would have been the last we heard about it. I guess sensationalism equates to money.

Many indigenous peoples do not visually appear to be so, I even have an aboriginal card and I don't look aboriginal (my grandmother on my mother's side is my link).

You are quick this morning big man....

.... THAT kind of sensationalism isn't so bad, one wouldn't even hear what she's talking about anyway..

I read here in Canada the powers to be were trying to cease our news/weather ladies showing bare arms as they deem it to be sexist. We have no worries of "naked news' ever making a showing here in Canadian news broadcasts.

Welcome to the new age. News (on the TV anyway) was considered a cost of doing business. At some point it became a profit stream, once that happened the over sensationalizing of stories started. It's always been political to a certain extent but I think it has gotten worse. I tend to get my news from sites that are open about their bias. If CNN would just admit that they have massive bias instead of pretending to be neutral they wouldn't get bashed so much.

I watch the local news if I think a person I know may be on it, but other than that I don't bother. It's been this way for a couple of decades, and it's gotten worse over that time. As mentioned, hiding bias under a pretense of neutrality doesn't help anything. CNN, MSNBC and Fox are all so ridiculously slanted it's impossible to watch any of them, so I don't. Better the devil you know....

Almost every time I turn on the news, it is getting so sensationalized it makes me ill. Every story has to be pumped up to the max in order to sell news it seems.

I know some stories are important to be aware of, natural disasters, shootings, terrorist attacks and the like but the daily hum drum news is what I'm talking about. Although there are times they (news reporters) sensationalize these as well.

While we are on the subject of news, a while back 3 young men drove onto a remote farm one night and attempted to steal an ATV. The farmer was home with his family and when he confronted them, some sort of scuffle occurred. Being out-numbered, he shot one of the young men who happened to be an indigenous youth.

The farmer was acquitted (he did get charged with gun related offences) but the family of the lad who was shot (and killed) used the indigenous card and went to the UN quoting this was racially motivated and even a short movie has been made about it. If this lad was non-aboriginal, that would have been the last we heard about it. I guess sensationalism equates to money.

Many indigenous peoples do not visually appear to be so, I even have an aboriginal card and I don't look aboriginal (my grandmother on my mother's side is my link).
Race and racism is a compllicated issue, and making it relevant (or worse, causal) in situations like this one appears to be doesn't help improve things. I can't stand when people play the race card when it doesn't apply, all that does is de-legitimize situations where it does. I worked for a woman who truly thought nobody liked her because she was black. It never occurred to her that she was an unpleasant, unlikable b!tch 99.8% of the time, and that maybe that's why nobody could stand her. I refuse to go through life with "because I'm black" as my default position. I'm sure there are some people who don't like me solely for that reason, but of all the people in the world who dislike me I'm confident that it's more likely something other than my race which has rubbed them the wrong way.

I'm one of those people who could care less about color, race, sexual orientation or religion. If a person is an idiot or a person is great...regardless of all of the above.

All too often we hear of the despondent, poor person of ethic background being down-trodden. Often times it might be circumstances which leads to this but in many times it is the individual who allows themselves to be this way regardless of ethnicity or race.

I absolutely do not agree with the terms we use for ethnicity-"African American" and all the others which begin with an ethnicity and ends with either American or Canadian.

My good friend who happens to be black, absolutely hates the term "African Canadian" he always says his family was from Jamaica not Africa.

I watch the news when it states a Syrian Canadian is troubled over their home situation...well, what are they, Canadian or Syrian? Nobody calls me a Heinz 57 Canadian and nobody called my Grandfather an American Canadian, once he moved to Canada, he was a Canadian...period. I don't see the term, "British Canadian" anytime so why stereotype a race?

Race and racism is a compllicated issue . . . . .
I refuse to go through life with "because I'm black" as my default position. I'm sure there are some people who don't like me solely for that reason, but of all the people in the world who dislike me I'm confident that it's more likely something other than my race which has rubbed them the wrong way.
Huh?? you're black?
I've only ever seen your avatar and I thought that was just a good sun tan lol !
Not that it makes any difference whatsoever, I like the way you think so your skin color has no bearing on how I 'see' you :p

My solution was to simply cancel my cable subscription and start riding more. I’m always hearing about this or that and people ask for my opinion and my reply has been the same the last few years: “I don’t even know what you are talking about”. They always reply with: didn’t you see it in the news?” :laugh:

We white folk have not been the majority in NA for a long time. if indeed we ever were
We may be the biggest minority but that does not suit the various agenda
It does not work for those members the easily identifiable minorities who pull the race card at every chance Nor does it suit the pro white nationalists who like to think every one should be like them because they re the majority They then claim they are being down trodden
I am a WASP to the core. I was raised by WASP's and grew up around WASP's and have never ever claimed to be colour blind. In my little town we had virtually no Black citizens. In fact I was in my fifth year of high school until we we had a black student. We were a white toast town In fact when we finally got a Chinese restaurant it was a big deal. But as the town became ever so slowly diverse I can also say there was not an issue with it. They were welcomed by most if not all and are still to this day. Our Canada Day celebration are awash with people from every corner of the globe. and we all enjoy the fellowship of our town
I can say I have also never been a racist, bigot, homophobe, or religious conspiritest. My father did not like Germans. England suffered through both wars and he did not enjoy either one But he ABSOLUTLEY did not pass that on to me. He explained that his dislike was personal and historical and I should never ever do the same. When I brought over friends of different colour creed or race they were truly welcome in our house
I like to think that my life as a trucker and a vacationing overseas traveler has given me a broad out look on people. We are not that different when you actually meet other people. I may not understand them but I find I get along with them.
There are all kids of people I do not like. but it is because of who they are Not what they are

We white folk have not been the majority in NA for a long time. if indeed we ever were
We may be the biggest minority but that does not suit the various agenda
It does not work for those members the easily identifiable minorities who pull the race card at every chance Nor does it suit the pro white nationalists who like to think every one should be like them because they re the majority They then claim they are being down trodden
I am a WASP to the core. I was raised by WASP's and grew up around WASP's and have never ever claimed to be colour blind. In my little town we had virtually no Black citizens. In fact I was in my fifth year of high school until we we had a black student. We were a white toast town In fact when we finally got a Chinese restaurant it was a big deal. But as the town became ever so slowly diverse I can also say there was not an issue with it. They were welcomed by most if not all and are still to this day. Our Canada Day celebration are awash with people from every corner of the globe. and we all enjoy the fellowship of our town
I can say I have also never been a racist, bigot, homophobe, or religious conspiritest. My father did not like Germans. England suffered through both wars and he did not enjoy either one But he ABSOLUTLEY did not pass that on to me. He explained that his dislike was personal and historical and I should never ever do the same. When I brought over friends of different colour creed or race they were truly welcome in our house
I like to think that my life as a trucker and a vacationing overseas traveler has given me a broad out look on people. We are not that different when you actually meet other people. I may not understand them but I find I get along with them.
There are all kids of people I do not like. but it is because of who they are Not what they are
Well said.

maybe the change in demographics could effect elections but, given the results I would say it did not. Fear mongering at its worst. If you want to make a country that is going to fail you divide the people spread the distrust and let those who would take advantage of your fears have power over you. Power. It is what they live for

I was surrounded by people who developed a strong aversion to persons of the Islamic faith due to their exposure in Afghanistan. I always remained neutral as I knew the difference between an extremist and a person of Islamic faith.

Sometimes I found it hard to be around some of the people I worked with due to their very evident hatred. It was and still is a great thing to be retired from all that. There are many days that I don't even know the date and many days the TV isn't even on.

Back