I'm off for a short Prison stay .

c10

Registered
I'm the lucky technician to repair multiple fire systems in a TDCJ Estelle prison . Leave home tomorrow for a week of service repairs. Friday notified the warden wanted my exact tooling to be used on site . So photos ,and description of my equipment.

This should be a interesting week!

I should of sent this photo of files ,and said this is my equipment. ;)

@faseljd any tips n tricks ?

20200117_115245.jpg

20200117_115423.jpg

20200117_133907.jpg

20200118_155815.jpg

Our fire systems have not worked in years. Our facility would surprise most that visit. It certainly isn't what I was expecting when I first got here, definitely different from preconceived notions. Inventory everything and keep everything accounted for and you will be fine.

@dadofthree linked a MLK quote on FB today asking what are you doing for others .
I could say this is what I did today .

I spent the day working in a prison . The inmate assigned to my work detail is named Allen . I called him today by his first name while training him on the life saftey systems . I was told tomorrow during full staff , and not a holiday to call this man by his last name only . Today he was treated as a equal eager to learn about the field the correction system uses him for . As all was learned by install manuals . No previous Life saftey techs had ever been willing to teach this man.

@dadofthree linked a MLK quote on FB today asking what are you doing for others .

I spent the day working in a prison . The inmate assigned to my work detail is named Allen . I called him today by his first name while training him on the life saftey systems . I was told tomorrow during full staff , and not a holiday to call this man by his last name only . Today he was treated as a equal eager to learn about the field the correction system uses him for . As all was learned by install manuals . No previous Life saftey techs had ever been willing to teach this man.

Staff shuns familiarity so last names are appropriate for them. No reason not to treat as equal whomever they allow to be in your space though. Any inmate allowed near you has passed the system‘s guidelines for behavior, whatever that entails. They’re already paying for their life style. Convicts and inmates aren’t the worry for the most part, the in & outers (tourists) as they’re called are the most trouble when it comes to civilian interaction.

Staff shuns familiarity so last names are appropriate for them. No reason not to treat as equal whomever they allow to be in your space though. Any inmate allowed near you has passed the system‘s guidelines for behavior, whatever that entails. They’re already paying for their life style. Convicts and inmates aren’t the worry for the most part, the in & outers (tourists) as they’re called are the most trouble when it comes to civilian interaction.
Cbx I have to say I kind of enjoyed the day . No phone calls , No one on cell phones , and the shop was old school . Reminded me of the 70's with conditions. I was given quite a bit of respect form everyone.
Guards were a bit surprised at my cell phone in tow . It was Warden approved . I keep PDF manual files , and use the camera for photos of wiring before disassembly.

Was there any small talk with this guy? Did he say what he was there for?
Or did you both just avoid that conversation . .
I would be crapping myself being exposed to hard ass crims like that.
You must be watching everything that goes on . . how do you focus on the job at hand?

Was there any small talk with this guy? Did he say what he was there for?
Or did you both just avoid that conversation . .
I would be crapping myself being exposed to hard ass crims like that.
You must be watching everything that goes on . . how do you focus on the job at hand?
Small talk was they thought I should be out making money a Rodeo bull rider lol . He saw photo of my bike as screen saver on the laptop . He use to have a Kawasaki 1000 in the 80's .
Greg that was a easy job with only 6 wires . 2 are SLC , and 4 are NAC . Ill send you a photo some day of a system that has hundreds of field wires coming in . Focus is my middle name ;)

I've worked with felons before. I would say the one thing an incarcerated person enjoys most (short of release) is being considered a human. That, and a project are often enough to encourage rehabilitation. I would guess your interaction will make a huge and lasting positive impression.

Reminds me of a similar situation when I was pouring concrete at a minimum security work camp. A few of the inmates had gathered near the truck as I worked the controls (it was a static pour) and one in particular expressed interest in learning how to operate it. I told him that a felony conviction would not necessarily bar him from getting a CDL and being able to drive a truck, and that running a mixer truck wouldn't make him rich, but it pays decent and you can take the skill to just about any location in the US and find a job. Then a guard came over and shooed them away, when I told him they weren't bothering me and were interested in learning he became agitated and yelled at them to get away from me. I muttered "yeah, God forbid they learn a marketable skill..." and went about my business. Shame that's how some people in authority handle themselves, I'm sure they aren't all that way. Folks in prisons and jails have made mistakes, I believe that with a few exceptions, they should still be treated with dignity and respect.

Back