I'm not a Touring Guy

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
Typically, I ride the same 3 routes almost all the time. Ride #1is 5 minutes from my house and takes about 1 ½ hours each way. Ride #2 is only about 1 hour from my house and takes about 2 ½ hours each way. Ride #3 is about a 1 ½ hour ride from my house and it’s a 2-hour round trip plus the 1 ½ hour ride to it. Ride #1 is flat with nice open curves and depending on tourist season not too much traffic. It also has some magnificent landscapes as you get back into the lowlands. Ride #2 is more suburban but still has some speed runs in the forests between developments. Ride #3 is the most fun, so much so that I have on many occasions run it back and forth 3-4 times in a row. It is basically in the farmlands and has some interesting elevation to it in the form of rolling hills and nothing to bother you with the exception of the occasional farmer moving his equipment between fields.

While this might seem a boring riding life, it’s not at all. I practice running them as fast as is reasonably safe, and I try to run them perfectly. Perfect lines, perfect throttle control at the apex of turns, perfect body position, perfect compact braking, etc. I read books and learn things from various sources and go out and try understand them and implement them into my riding BOK. My heroes are road racers, real roads not tracks (except Rossi of course). Fast road riding raises you riding IQ very quickly, not unlike track riding. Its not throwing caution to the wind, it’s learning tactics and knowing when to slow. It also makes the flaws, and improvements in a bike much more obvious than normal riding.

A few years ago, I decided I was getting too old for dodging cops and taking a few risks on the road and I bought a BWM to “slow down and enjoy getting there”. I was planning longer trips and more sight-seeing type rides. Found out that wasn’t me. I am much happier knowing what is around the next bend and attacking it. I ride completely focused on the road, what happens 20 feet to either side is irrelevant unless it is on an “intersect course”. Funny, now I try to ride the BMW like I ride the Busa, obviously it doesn’t measure up though – probably why I just can’t get the feeling for the bike.

I suppose the moral of the story is know why you ride. If I’m looking around at the scenery, I would just as soon be in my truck all comfy in the AC on and the 10-speaker, B&O audio system blasting. I thought my perspective on riding was a phase, but it’s lasted 30 years so far…

I agree man. I tried out a buddy’s Goldwing after goin on a three week debate over whether I wanted the sport touring screen for the busa. He was like man you’ll never go back once the wind is off you and you sit upright, it’s relaxing and you get to enjoy the scenery.
This was entirely false.... all of it.
I like the wind against me... it keeps me focused on the ride.
I like my riding position, somewhat aggressive, but I can sit up nearly upright if I need to stretch....
I like not being relaxed. It keeps me focused and aware.
It was terrifying on that bike... being relaxed enough that a couple times I startled myself back to reality having realized I was totally not paying any attention. It kind of lulled me into a false sense of security, like what comes along with a car.
So I kindly told him not a chance in hell I’d ever own one and went and bought a double bubble.

You know, while I was reading your post Arch, I saw myself exactly as you were describing your riding exploits.
I too have about 3 main rides I do, and I used to tour the country to unknown locations many years ago when I was a lot more adventurous, but these days I just focus on honing my riding skills on my favourite roads.
I also avoid riding in groups with unknown riders, too dangerous I’ve found, and I only ride with 2 other guys I know and trust.
I always enjoy anything you write about Arch, well put together and articulate. Thanks mate.

I agree man. I tried out a buddy’s Goldwing after goin on a three week debate over whether I wanted the sport touring screen for the busa. He was like man you’ll never go back once the wind is off you and you sit upright, it’s relaxing and you get to enjoy the scenery.
This was entirely false.... all of it.
I like the wind against me... it keeps me focused on the ride.
I like my riding position, somewhat aggressive, but I can sit up nearly upright if I need to stretch....
I like not being relaxed. It keeps me focused and aware.
It was terrifying on that bike... being relaxed enough that a couple times I startled myself back to reality having realized I was totally not paying any attention. It kind of lulled me into a false sense of security, like what comes along with a car.
So I kindly told him not a chance in hell I’d ever own one and went and bought a double bubble.
So true, I’ve also experienced a big tourer and you can start to forget you are on two wheels, I’ve actually seen a guy on a big tourer forget to put his foot down when he stopped at a set of lights!!

For me, I like my own bed and I'm getting older, also have two dogs that need me home at meal times, so I tend to stick around my local area and not go touring and staying away for nights on end.
When I was 30 to 50 I did all that, getting away to bike rallies and going places, but nowadays home is where the heart is.

I love to sharpen and hone my skills as well, when you use the same routes I think it allows you to at least keep that one variable the same which is the route. Be it for a time or something more like subjective evaluation you feel are you comparing apples to apples. Like anything else changing too many variables at once creates ambiguity in terms of what’s effective and what wasn’t. Of course those newly hone skills can be applied elsewhere when the time comes.

I’d even say it’s confidence inspiring to be closer to home if you are pushing it, it’s far easier to call a buddy nearby or not have to far to get back home should something go awry.

I want to give touring a shot so that I can answer the question you’ve apparently answered for yourself. I go back and forth on this one: Do I want ride to destination on bike or pull a bike on the trailer and ride once I’m there??? But to answer the question it would require investment in a different bike as I’m not planning to use the Busa as a regular for touring. To further define for me this would be distances greater than 500 miles or so I think.

Ok I’ve rambled enough but appreciate you sharing your perspective

For me, I like my own bed and I'm getting older, also have two dogs that need me home at meal times, so I tend to stick around my local area and not go touring and staying away for nights on end.
When I was 30 to 50 I did all that, getting away to bike rallies and going places, but nowadays home is where the heart is.

Same here with the pets and I like being home, I have good roads nearby so no need to go too far off for that really. Every once and awhile sure just to mix things up and go someplace on the ole bucket list. With that said if I lived somewhere really urban with no places to ride to my liking I might would be more inclined to venture further out, stay overnight or a weekend trip etc

Typically, I ride the same 3 routes almost all the time. Ride #1is 5 minutes from my house and takes about 1 ½ hours each way. Ride #2 is only about 1 hour from my house and takes about 2 ½ hours each way. Ride #3 is about a 1 ½ hour ride from my house and it’s a 2-hour round trip plus the 1 ½ hour ride to it. Ride #1 is flat with nice open curves and depending on tourist season not too much traffic. It also has some magnificent landscapes as you get back into the lowlands. Ride #2 is more suburban but still has some speed runs in the forests between developments. Ride #3 is the most fun, so much so that I have on many occasions run it back and forth 3-4 times in a row. It is basically in the farmlands and has some interesting elevation to it in the form of rolling hills and nothing to bother you with the exception of the occasional farmer moving his equipment between fields.

While this might seem a boring riding life, it’s not at all. I practice running them as fast as is reasonably safe, and I try to run them perfectly. Perfect lines, perfect throttle control at the apex of turns, perfect body position, perfect compact braking, etc. I read books and learn things from various sources and go out and try understand them and implement them into my riding BOK. My heroes are road racers, real roads not tracks (except Rossi of course). Fast road riding raises you riding IQ very quickly, not unlike track riding. Its not throwing caution to the wind, it’s learning tactics and knowing when to slow. It also makes the flaws, and improvements in a bike much more obvious than normal riding.

A few years ago, I decided I was getting too old for dodging cops and taking a few risks on the road and I bought a BWM to “slow down and enjoy getting there”. I was planning longer trips and more sight-seeing type rides. Found out that wasn’t me. I am much happier knowing what is around the next bend and attacking it. I ride completely focused on the road, what happens 20 feet to either side is irrelevant unless it is on an “intersect course”. Funny, now I try to ride the BMW like I ride the Busa, obviously it doesn’t measure up though – probably why I just can’t get the feeling for the bike.

I suppose the moral of the story is know why you ride. If I’m looking around at the scenery, I would just as soon be in my truck all comfy in the AC on and the 10-speaker, B&O audio system blasting. I thought my perspective on riding was a phase, but it’s lasted 30 years so far…

Have you ever gone on a multi state ride?

I think the Busa is a touring bike. You don’t need a Goldwing. I can commute, I can haul ass down twisty country roads like you, I can Iron Butt from Chicago to Austin in 20 hours and cover 4500 miles on a 2 week vacation. I’ve bumped into ORGsters on a couple of occasions on weekend trips to Deals Gap. I got the Busa because I think it’s the best solution to a do-it-all bike.

I think the Busa is a touring bike. You don’t need a Goldwing. I can commute, I can haul ass down twisty country roads like you, I can Iron Butt from Chicago to Austin in 20 hours and cover 4500 miles on a 2 week vacation. I’ve bumped into ORGsters on a couple of occasions on weekend trips to Deals Gap. I got the Busa because I think it’s the best solution to a do-it-all bike.
I agree the Busa is a good do it all bike, it’s a personal thing and we all get to choose how we use ours. That is what makes them so popular it works for many for touring but not for all. Though I think this post is less about the actual bike capabilities and more about the personal choice.

yes. Road to NC and to GA. Dragon was about 9 hours in the saddle. Brunswick GA was 9 too.

Well, I meant a long trip, like 8 states in 10 days, somewhere around 3-4,000 miles or 6 states in 7 days, around 3,000 miles. CA, NV, ID, WY, MT, OR, or CA, OR, ID, MT, WA, OR, CA. Something like that. What you mentioned is really just a couple of day trips with a stay over, not touring.

I am the same...I have certain routes I take very often and enjoy the familiarity of those routes. I know where the bumps and rough pavement are and can avoid those. I know where the fast straights and tight twisties are and can prepare for them...

I rode my brother's BMW RT and it is a stellar bike, handles well, accelerates well but it is very sterile and mundane...I have also ridden cruisers, adventure tourers, pure superbikes but so far my Bandit and Busa are my favorites.

Of course if I still had my Yamaha RD400, that would be right up there too...it was a lot of fun...

Last edited:
Well, I meant a long trip, like 8 states in 10 days, somewhere around 3-4,000 miles or 6 states in 7 days, around 3,000 miles. CA, NV, ID, WY, MT, OR, or CA, OR, ID, MT, WA, OR, CA. Something like that. What you mentioned is really just a couple of day trips with a stay over, not touring.
yes. touring is something I'm not real interested in. would rather pull bike and ride it there.

Built RJ to be the best do it all hyper to tour is just a few strokes . I always toured on sport bikes or naked big bore machines , and was happy . ( ZRX1200 , ZX11D , ZZR1200 and the R6S was even FAST at 165 on a good day ) Hung them all up as wife started riding two up , and the R6S was not a two up rig . In comes FJR1300
In order to achieve what that bike needed for me was suspension / power / weight reduction .
It lost 55 pounds , gained 12 HP , and handled OK for a 600 pound machine . However the only things I enjoyed about it was the bags , and 6.6 gallons of fuel for hauling butt across states .
When Tianne hung up two up for her own bike the FJR was destined to be sold .
The ZX14R was not my taste after servicing a few 14's . So research started on the Hayabusa that I never liked , but had seen the abuse they took at the track from people that ABUSED them . Many things avaible to build a hyper tour rig . That is what I have today . What needs to be improved to RJ for me is at some point fuel capacity. With the Handle bar conversion one could remove the recess dents on both sides , and graft a or expand the top upwards for 1 to 2 inches . This would add about 3/4 gallon taking it over 6 gallons .
Today owning a rig that looks nice in tour clothing , and then looks Sexy with it removed makes me smile .

hqdefault.jpg

Back