Im not a smart man, just a country boy

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
So California is sueing the automakers for Ozone damages...... Is it actually the automakers that are at fault or the people that drive them? Is there really a problem with the emissions of one car or is it the combined need of all of them that is driving the ozone problems? Has California set up a transportation system that allows folks to use busses and trams or trains?

Are the automakers at fault on this?

cAp

Last edited:
It's as goofy as sueing the tobaco company because you smoke. Lack of responsibility to the individuals who actually buy and drive (or smoke and don't quit).

The lawyers and the lawsuits are one of the biggest 'f ups this country has. Kill all the lawyers.
guns.gif

Kalifornia however, is the land of OZ and goofy thinking is the norm...

rant.gif
How can you sue the guy that is trying to help you in the first place? Don't all vehicles come with CA emission models? How much funding has CA put into finding alternate fuels?
rant.gif

rant.gif

Be careful Cap

....don't want you to get sued for providing this great website and causing employee productivity to plummet!

Hopefully, this will make the automakers release more fuel efficient engines (that do exist) which the oil companies are paying them to keep under lock and key.

Actually most law suits are not what they seem.

Most large sum law suits are more about bringing change than for trying to recoup damages.

For example, by suing the car manufactures for emission issues, if they lose they will be pressured into making changes to vehicles that will produce fewer emissions.

This means that manufactures will either have to focus on alternate fuel technologies, or by making vehicles that are more efficient at burning the fuels which will not only help the environment but will also result in better gas mileage vehicles.

This type of pressure can be witnessed by the difference between compensatory damages and punitive damages.

Compensatory meaning compensation, this is usually the amount to compensate someone for their expenses.

Punitive damages are punishment to hurt the company enough to make changes

Example would be:

State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co. v. Campbell, No. 01-1289

While compensatory damages were at 1 million dollars, punitive damages were at 145 million dollars.

1 million dollars is no big deal to a large company, they will pay it and move on, it would cost them more than 1 million to make changes.

However if a company has to cough up 145 million dollars, it has just cost them more than it would have if they would have made change.

So in the specific case where California is suing the auto manufactures, I am pretty confidant it is more about forcing change than anything else

There is historical data that in the past auto manufactures were aware of dangerous flaws in vehicles but the bean counters determined it would cost more to recall the automobiles than it would to settle law suits, even in the case of death or sever injury.

So in the past vehicle recalls were often disregaurded

However there are a lot more product recalls lately because companies are now aware they can be sued for punitive damages which in the end could cost them more than making changes.

Just my .02

Let's see  
SHOCKED.gif
, I wonder what the Cal people would do if all the automakers STOPED selling cars there ! Probably blame the Government
laugh.gif

(DaCol. @ Sep. 21 2006,07:52) Let's see  
SHOCKED.gif
, I wonder what the Cal people would do if all the automakers STOPED selling cars there ! Probably blame the Government
laugh.gif
We would all ride motorcycles or skateboards
biggrin.gif

(Justyntym @ Sep. 21 2006,08:54) It's as goofy as sueing the tobaco company because you smoke. Lack of responsibility to the individuals who actually buy and drive (or smoke and don't quit).
Agreed absolutely. The lack of accountability in today's society is troubling to say the least.

Kalifornia however, is the land of OZ and goofy thinking is the norm...[/Quote]

As a former resident that intends to move back, I couldn't agree less. This is just a case of an over zealous attorney general getting ready to run for state treasurer emplying very questionable political tactics, rather than the thought process of a collective state. California is the true salad bowl of the country that effectuates fresh thought from people of of all walks. I'm glad to see that the open-mindedness prevalent there is starting to "creep" into the Midwest. I don't mean to sound huffy but I've endured California bashing since I've lived in Missouri and I've become a little.....touchy
smile.gif

egitarre77.gif

(Red05 @ Sep. 21 2006,10:12) I'm glad to see that the open-mindedness prevalent there is starting to "creep" into the Midwest. I don't mean to sound huffy but I've endured California bashing since I've lived in Missouri and I've become a little.....touchy
smile.gif

egitarre77.gif
As a former California resident now living in Southern Illinois, I think Cali deserves all the bashing it takes, but I agree with you on the open-mindedness that is starting to make its way here. That is for the good, no doubt.
You know California is referred to as "The Cereal State" right?
Chock full of nuts, fruits and flakes...........

(BiG-T @ Sep. 21 2006,07:23) Be careful Cap

....don't want you to get sued for providing this great website and causing employee productivity to plummet!
YEAH...

It's this kind of thinking and the Kalifornia mindset that keeps me the hell outta there.

Not any real good reason to be there other than good riding in the Mountains when they aren't on fire, or covered from the latest mudslide.

Also, lets not forget the "I'm From" attitude that sometimes gets thrown around...
laugh.gif
That's fun.

Is this lawsuit for real or is it just a myth?

(Mr Brown @ Sep. 21 2006,10:20) Chock full of nuts, fruits and flakes...........
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

As a certified nut, I concur. That's probably why I want to move back. As far as flakes, I'd bet Missouri, or at least Springfield, has a higher percentage of them than Cali
smile.gif

laugh.gif

So if I were the leader of an auto manufacturing company I would simply stop providing cars for Cali. I know what you are going to say and that is "They cant afford to do that" my response would be simply can they afford to do it? Put the pressure back on the Govt. Let the residents raise hell because they can only buy a hyundai in Cali............ It completely freaks me out that the govt. tries to regulate everything......

(captain @ Sep. 21 2006,10:56) So if I were the leader of an auto manufacturing company I would simply stop providing cars for Cali. I know what you are going to say and that is "They cant afford to do that" my response would be simply can they afford to do it? Put the pressure back on the Govt. Let the residents raise hell because they can only buy a hyundai in Cali............ It completely freaks me out that the govt. tries to regulate everything......
Unfortunately, that is what our country is fast becoming. A place where the gov't does what it says is in our best interest, when all to often it is not in anyone's best interest but the governments. Keep in mind that Cali is oftentimes the leader in these types of things, other states wait to see the results then jump on the bandwagon.

I was rushed to post that last comment..... I dont believe that the govt should have the ability to force or sue companies for standards. What I do believe that they should do is set limits and create regulations that must be met in order to sell a product in that state... If California wants to create emission laws that are more strict than other states (which they have done) then they can. If the auto manufacturers are meeting those standards then all is good. If the state wants to make the limits more stringent and the car manufacturers cant do it or dont find it economical to produce that product then the citizens can work with the govt to change the limits.......

As far as I know all the manufacturers have met the Cali. emission laws, now it sounds like they are going after the companies for not exceeding the standards on their own...... HMMMM you set the standards, I met them, you sue me because I didnt do better than required.......

Let the flaming begin.....

CAp

Back