Im not a smart man, just a country boy

Yhea I’m the one suing the automakers! All of us here in California got together and said “Hey we haven’t sued anyone in awhile let’s sue the car dudes" but half of us where busy surfing and half were getting stoned and half were doing drive bys and the other half where white lining so we sent it to a lawyer. Man you outa staters sure talk mad trash about places you don’t live, you guys must be pretty jealous.

(DaCol. @ Sep. 21 2006,07:52) Let's see  
SHOCKED.gif
, I wonder what the Cal people would do if all the automakers STOPED selling cars there ! Probably blame the Government
laugh.gif
We'd ride our bikes.

(captain @ Sep. 21 2006,10:14) I was rushed to post that last comment..... I dont believe that the govt should have the ability to force or sue companies for standards. What I do believe that they should do is set limits and create regulations that must be met in order to sell a product in that state... If California wants to create emission laws that are more strict than other states (which they have done) then they can. If the auto manufacturers are meeting those standards then all is good. If the state wants to make the limits more stringent and the car manufacturers cant do it or dont find it economical to produce that product then the citizens can work with the govt to change the limits.......

As far as I know all the manufacturers have met the Cali. emission laws, now it sounds like they are going after the companies for not exceeding the standards  on their own...... HMMMM you set the standards, I met them, you sue me because I didnt do better than required.......

Let the flaming begin.....

CAp
Kalifornia will likely not prevail in a lawsuit because they can't really provide enough data on what part of the damage to the ozone layer is directly related to the cars. Factories, etc. etc. etc. are also partly to blame. Also, how much is California suffering as a result of any damage? What scientist is going to give a calculation?

I'm sure they'll find someone.

One thing is certain, however, the automakers are not going to be able to afford to stop shipping to California. It's the fourth or fifth largest economy in the world. You can't afford to not sell there.

California deserves it's share of bashing, there's no doubt about it. But so does every other state in the nation. Missouri? Hah! I used to live there and I used to live in California. Which one do I prefer? Can't even say. But believe you me, Missouri has just as much to bash as California does. So does AZ, so does NM, UT, all of 'em!

Every state has its own share of nutcases. The reason people bash other states is because the other states are different. Usually, it's a matter of intolerance and closed-mindedness. I hate that crap.

--Wag--

(captain @ Sep. 21 2006,10:56) So if I were the leader of an auto manufacturing company I would simply stop providing cars for Cali. I know what you are going to say and that is "They cant afford to do that" my response would be simply can they afford to do it? Put the pressure back on the Govt. Let the residents raise hell because they can only buy a hyundai in Cali............ It completely freaks me out that the govt. tries to regulate everything......
Cap, again, this is more a case of a volatile attorney general (Lockyer) that needs to keep his emotions in check a bit better. His trademark has always been an agressive, impulsive style that has seen it's share of success as well as embarrassment; and this latest ploy I think will go down as the latter. I realize the people of California elected him, but I've been guilty of voting for people that have gone on to making me want to pull my hair out a time or two. My crystal ball has been muddy my whole life.
argue.gif
all_coholic.gif

(Wag @ Sep. 21 2006,11:35) Every state has its own share of nutcases.  The reason people bash other states is because the other states are different.  Usually, it's a matter of intolerance and closed-mindedness.  I hate that crap.

--Wag--
Wag, you & I need to drink a beer sometime
beerchug.gif

(captain @ Sep. 21 2006,06:40) Article About Emission Laws

So California is sueing the automakers for Ozone damages...... Is it actually the automakers that are at fault or the people that drive them? Is there really a problem with the emissions of one car or is it the combined need of all of them that is driving the ozone problems? Has California set up a transportation system that allows folks to use busses and trams or trains?

Are the automakers at fault on this?

cAp
Actually Capt..
Yes the automakers are at fault.
Up until the late 1920s. California's largest automotive consumer market was served by an extensive trolley and tram system.
It is no secret that General Motors bought it and dismantled it with the political slant that development would go to better expressways and freeways.
GM has profitted from this strategic investment for over 80 years.
Now California is a State ruled by Democrat environmentalists. What is wrong with that?
In my humble opinion nothing is wrong with that. They are of the mindset that the Automotive political lobby should stop their efforts to suppress mass transit by wooing politicians with financial candy in the form of benefits to the particular municipality due to higher fuel excise tax revenues by building more roads and thus accomodating more cars.

Dont get me wrong here guys all states have crazy politicians and govt regulations, hell its still illegal in Oklahoma to run a horse next to the road.......

HOWEVER

To try and make the automakers pay for meeting the regulations that the Govt set is ridiculas. What other market could you get away with this kind of logic......

I read the menu and decided that I wanted a tuna sandwich and the waitress brought me a tuna sandwich but later I found out they had hamburgers, I think I'll sue the restraunt becuase the waitress didnt offer me a hamburger.....

I think Im going crazy.........

CAp

(Mr Brown @ Sep. 21 2006,08:20)
(Red05 @ Sep. 21 2006,10:12) I'm glad to see that the open-mindedness prevalent there is starting to "creep" into the Midwest. I don't mean to sound huffy but I've endured California bashing since I've lived in Missouri and I've become a little.....touchy
smile.gif

egitarre77.gif
As a former California resident now living in Southern Illinois, I think Cali deserves all the bashing it takes, but I agree with you on the open-mindedness that is starting to make its way here. That is for the good, no doubt.
You know California is referred to as "The Cereal State" right?
Chock full of nuts, fruits and flakes...........
Yeah it has more than it's fair share of Fruits, nuts and flakes....
But, they all come from the midwest, southeast, atlantic coast, Mountain states. Where most of the states still have revolutionary war legislation banning anything other that the missionary position meaning that anything that Gays do behind closed doors is still illegal. Then you have the bible belt small communities that make it so that you can't bang your neighbor's daughter without the whole phuggin county knowing about.
I am from California, Los Angeles County thirty minutes from Sunset Boulevard in Azusa.
Yeah bring the jokes, jokes, jokes, and joke some more about that Projekt wacko...
Really though, I met more unsavoury individuals from Colorado, Illinois, Texas, Arizona, South Kakilak and Nebraska, not to mention Oklahoma and even Zimbabwe, Africa while I was in school there in Southern California and Northern California in San Jose.

(captain @ Sep. 21 2006,11:46) I think Im going crazy.........

CAp
Dont listen to the voices! The darn things already got you to sell the Busa.....................................
laugh.gif

BTW,
I'm not a smart man, just a country boy[/Quote]

Yeah, whatever  
rock.gif
,  country, no problem, but we know better about your smarts
smile.gif

(captain @ Sep. 21 2006,09:46) Dont get me wrong here guys all states have crazy politicians and govt regulations, hell its still illegal in Oklahoma to run a  horse next to the road.......

HOWEVER

To try and make the automakers pay for meeting the regulations that the Govt set is ridiculas. What other market could you get away with this kind of logic......

I read the menu and decided that I wanted a tuna sandwich and the waitress brought me a tuna sandwich but later I found out they had hamburgers, I think I'll sue the restraunt becuase the waitress didnt offer me a hamburger.....

I think Im going crazy.........

CAp
You know as well as I do that we exist in a Capitalist society where making money is done any which way you can.
If it takes a resourceful Shyster lawer then so be it. Ask me where I live for that very reason...

Lets say Cali sues and wins because they prove automakers have the ability to make cars with better efficiency.
Do we blame Cali for pushing auto makers to provide us with the cars that are better for our environment? Our Federal Govenrment is not pushing hard enough. Its all about oil and $

(BlueHaya @ Sep. 21 2006,12:54) Lets say Cali sues and wins because they prove automakers have the ability to make cars with better efficiency.
Do we blame Cali for pushing auto makers to provide us with the cars that are better for our environment?  Our Federal Govenrment is not pushing hard enough.  Its all about oil and $
No one said they couldnt do better, BUT they met the requirements that Cali put out there..... Dont get pissed when a car in Cali cost 5k more than anywhere else....

I think maybe red05 is the closest on this one. Its all politcs in the here and now.

(captain @ Sep. 21 2006,12:57) No one said they couldnt do better, BUT they met the requirements that Cali put out there.....

Hence the stupidity of the law suit.

Dont get pissed when a car in Cali cost 5k more than anywhere else....[/Quote]

I'm sure opinions will differ, but in my mind that would be a good trade-off, if the emmisions laws prove to be effective.

(BlueHaya @ Sep. 21 2006,10:54) Lets say Cali sues and wins because they prove automakers have the ability to make cars with better efficiency.
Do we blame Cali for pushing auto makers to provide us with the cars that are better for our environment?  Our Federal Govenrment is not pushing hard enough.  Its all about oil and $
I thought it was about smog?

(Gunnybusa @ Sep. 21 2006,13:17)
(BlueHaya @ Sep. 21 2006,10:54) Lets say Cali sues and wins because they prove automakers have the ability to make cars with better efficiency.
I thought it was about smog?
On the surface, yes, a perfect politically correct platform. It's really about money, as Blue mentioned, and votes. The man is running for state treasurer.....interesting timing.

(Red05 @ Sep. 21 2006,10:42)
(Wag @ Sep. 21 2006,11:35) Every state has its own share of nutcases.  The reason people bash other states is because the other states are different.  Usually, it's a matter of intolerance and closed-mindedness.  I hate that crap.

--Wag--
Wag, you & I need to drink a beer sometime  
beerchug.gif
Let's do it, brutha! Where are you located?

--Wag--

I suspect that if California starts to have any degree of success with this, other states may jump on the bandwagon, much as they did with the tobacco suits and they anti-gun suits.

This one is a little different but the fact is, Cap is right. CA set standards, auto makers met them and now they're getting sued? If anything, the people should be suing CA for not setting the standards high enough.

--Wag--

Back