I'm lusting after other bikes

oilfield_trash

Registered
I was in Fresno today and I stopped by the big dealership there. The Ducati Multistrada 1200 is going to be my next bike. The only thing that will derail that is if the Yamaha Super Tenere is just unbelievable. I turned to the wife in the dealer and asked if I could go ahead and take it home. A dirty look was all the salesguy and I needed to know. I explained the hard sided luggage was a freebie and one hell of a bargain that couldn't last forever. It was to no avail.

The good news is that come bonus time in the Spring the Busa will be paid off and I'll have a hefty down payment available for the Ducati. The Busa will continue to be part of the family. The best part is the wife has agreed to this ridiculous scheme. :laugh:

I feel like a kid at Christmas time, except Christmas is 8 months away. Argh...

Because I have the impulse control of a Gnat and the local Duc Dealer knows that he let me take out the Multi Strada last summer . Here is what I wrote in another forum.
Ok so I am a test ride hoe, Today was my early day at work so the ride home takes me past a Ducati dealership and I stopped. Just to poke through the used section. Jake the sales manager knows I have the impulse control of a gnat and tries very hard to get me on to a used Sport 1000 but I just wasn’t feeling it. Then he points at a Red 1200 Multistrada and says why don’t you take this out? I exercise all of my self restraint and say No.
Then the evil little guy starts playing dirty and says” I have to have 900 miles to sell it as a demo anyway why don’t you take it out for and hour and let me know what you think?” Well as I noted above I had already used up all my self restraint so I said OK,,
So the he grabs a dealer plat and puts it on then walks me through the bike
Keyless ignition Key/Fob thing has to be near the bike and you press the button in the center of the Bars to get the system powered on, then you hit the starter button that is right where you expect it to be.
Now you can pick between modes
Sport reportedly gives you all 150 hp (crank number)
Touring gives you 135 hp
Rain 120 hp
Enduro 100 hp
Then as you go into setting you can customize thresholds for the ABS and traction control system, I did not get into these but this should allow you to personalize the settings the way you want.
Ergos
As I swung a leg over I realized just how high this bike is but once over and seated I was immediately reminded of my old V Strom 1k High seating wide bars and pegs just a bit of your hips tell you that you are on a machine that should handle a dirt road ( I will get to that) At 6’1 I have no trouble flat footing this bike. It feels very narrow and very light. Center of gravity is high, but that said it is well balanced. I fire her up and there is the rattle that tells you you are on a Duc .
The Ride
Easing it out into traffic the chassis is light and feels bolted down , this bike is easy to move around but not quite as flickable as my old 999. As it rolls up the road and through the first few corners I am reminded that when you have bike this tall you lean angles get insane rather quickly. This is a fun bike! There is of course torque all the way through the band but the sweet spot seems to start about 5500 and pull strongly through 8500. On secondary roads the last 2 gears are pointless . The bike is a hoot to ride on the asphalt not a sport bike but clearly a sporty bike it has no trouble eating up the corners and racing to triple digits in the straights without a second thought. Clearly this bike that may move to the head of its class. Just for giggles on a secondary road I tried to lock up the brakes,,, couldn’t do it, but couldn’t perceive when the ABS was taking over either . These systems seem to have improved a lot in the past few years or Ducati has a particularly good one
Ok so this is a Multistarada so after hunting around a bit I found a dirt road crossing between two fields and back up on to a ridgeline then back to that asphalt . After stopping and resetting the mode to endoro I rode it a few time it has been decades since I did any real hard dirt riding. After a couple runs up and down the road I got a little braver and found this thing like it , A Lot. The endoro mode seems to mellow the throttle response just enough the bike doesn’t feel sluggish just more a gentler torque curve. Again I am not a hard core adventure rider but this could keep me trying.
After this little episode I headed over to see a friend at his work place, he is under the misguided idea that I am the kind of guy that would just impulsively buy a bike like this but after a few minutes I convinced him I hadn’t . He looked the bike over (perhaps he will comment on it later, and then because clouds were closing in I switched it back to sport mode and hit the interstate to bring it back. Here it again reminded me of the V Strom by repeating the one thing I disliked about the Strom. The windshield is set up so that from about 65 on up to 85 it buffets my head terribly. On the secondary roads that is not a real issue but on the highway this gets annoying .
Impressions
If I were in the market for an adventure bike this would move to the top of my list ahead the GS1200 (Much lighter )and just a bit ahead of the 990 adventure(nice engine). I am not sure I need all the high tech but they are on the bike so might as well use them.

Because I have the impulse control of a Gnat and the local Duc Dealer knows that he let me take out the Multi Strada last summer . Here is what I wrote in another forum.
Ok so I am a test ride hoe, Today was my early day at work so the ride home takes me past a Ducati dealership and I stopped. Just to poke through the used section. Jake the sales manager knows I have the impulse control of a gnat and tries very hard to get me on to a used Sport 1000 but I just wasn’t feeling it. Then he points at a Red 1200 Multistrada and says why don’t you take this out? I exercise all of my self restraint and say No.
Then the evil little guy starts playing dirty and says” I have to have 900 miles to sell it as a demo anyway why don’t you take it out for and hour and let me know what you think?” Well as I noted above I had already used up all my self restraint so I said OK,,
So the he grabs a dealer plat and puts it on then walks me through the bike
Keyless ignition Key/Fob thing has to be near the bike and you press the button in the center of the Bars to get the system powered on, then you hit the starter button that is right where you expect it to be.
Now you can pick between modes
Sport reportedly gives you all 150 hp (crank number)
Touring gives you 135 hp
Rain 120 hp
Enduro 100 hp
Then as you go into setting you can customize thresholds for the ABS and traction control system, I did not get into these but this should allow you to personalize the settings the way you want.
Ergos
As I swung a leg over I realized just how high this bike is but once over and seated I was immediately reminded of my old V Strom 1k High seating wide bars and pegs just a bit of your hips tell you that you are on a machine that should handle a dirt road ( I will get to that) At 6’1 I have no trouble flat footing this bike. It feels very narrow and very light. Center of gravity is high, but that said it is well balanced. I fire her up and there is the rattle that tells you you are on a Duc .
The Ride
Easing it out into traffic the chassis is light and feels bolted down , this bike is easy to move around but not quite as flickable as my old 999. As it rolls up the road and through the first few corners I am reminded that when you have bike this tall you lean angles get insane rather quickly. This is a fun bike! There is of course torque all the way through the band but the sweet spot seems to start about 5500 and pull strongly through 8500. On secondary roads the last 2 gears are pointless . The bike is a hoot to ride on the asphalt not a sport bike but clearly a sporty bike it has no trouble eating up the corners and racing to triple digits in the straights without a second thought. Clearly this bike that may move to the head of its class. Just for giggles on a secondary road I tried to lock up the brakes,,, couldn’t do it, but couldn’t perceive when the ABS was taking over either . These systems seem to have improved a lot in the past few years or Ducati has a particularly good one
Ok so this is a Multistarada so after hunting around a bit I found a dirt road crossing between two fields and back up on to a ridgeline then back to that asphalt . After stopping and resetting the mode to endoro I rode it a few time it has been decades since I did any real hard dirt riding. After a couple runs up and down the road I got a little braver and found this thing like it , A Lot. The endoro mode seems to mellow the throttle response just enough the bike doesn’t feel sluggish just more a gentler torque curve. Again I am not a hard core adventure rider but this could keep me trying.
After this little episode I headed over to see a friend at his work place, he is under the misguided idea that I am the kind of guy that would just impulsively buy a bike like this but after a few minutes I convinced him I hadn’t . He looked the bike over (perhaps he will comment on it later, and then because clouds were closing in I switched it back to sport mode and hit the interstate to bring it back. Here it again reminded me of the V Strom by repeating the one thing I disliked about the Strom. The windshield is set up so that from about 65 on up to 85 it buffets my head terribly. On the secondary roads that is not a real issue but on the highway this gets annoying .
Impressions
If I were in the market for an adventure bike this would move to the top of my list ahead the GS1200 (Much lighter )and just a bit ahead of the 990 adventure(nice engine). I am not sure I need all the high tech but they are on the bike so might as well use them.
Well, with a little grammar and spelling editing, that was as good a report as most of the stuff written in the typical motorcycle magazines. Perhaps you have a new career in the making. :thumbsup:

I've secretly wanted a ducati for years, but not for the usual reasons. I'd like to prove to myself that I am technically skilled enough to adjust those valves (and I am sure that I am!).

But otherwise, I think I'd go for a big Vstrom and save the hassle and the expense. :beerchug:

Well, with a little grammar and spelling editing, that was as good a report as most of the stuff written in the typical motorcycle magazines. Perhaps you have a new career in the making. :thumbsup:

I've secretly wanted a ducati for years, but not for the usual reasons. I'd like to prove to myself that I am technically skilled enough to adjust those valves (and I am sure that I am!).

But otherwise, I think I'd go for a big Vstrom and save the hassle and the expense. :beerchug:

I have never been able to spell or write just like it when someone says "hey you wanna rid this?

Her are few shots of the one I rode
002-3.jpg

001-4.jpg

003-4.jpg

Yeah i hear they ride really nice but something about them isnt appealing to me.. jmo

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I was eyeballing a base model with ABS. I have no interest in carbon fiber pieces or the saddle bags. The "free" saddle bags are attractive but TINY. I want to do some 3000+mi touring, and they are useless.

I forgot to mention that at 5' 9" the seat was super high. So is the BMW GS. I got them to bring a low seat out from parts and I was nearly flat footed. I had the same problem with the GS. I noticed at nearly 100lbs less, the bike was much easier to handle.

They offerred me a test ride, I had my my helmet in the car, but I wasn't going to take a 0 mile bike around the block knowing I am waiting until late February. I can wait...some. If they'd had a demo bike I would've done it in a second.

Sorry, but no pics. I plan to make the dealers sweat. The unnamed dealer I visited in Redondo Beach was a ripoff, and these guys were pretty good folks. My plan is to contact the internet sales department of every Ducati dealer in California and see who gives me the best price and then ask these guys to match it.

The good news is I've talked myself out of a Concours 14 and BMW R1200GS. All that remains to be seen is the Super Tenere.

Now the wait begins...

I forgot...red is the only color I'm considering.

My wife said it looked like a transformer. I politely informed her I could care less what she thinks of the aesthetics. She liked the 1198, RSV4, and Triumph Speed Triple much better. I just have no need for another sport bike, and I have no desire to sell the Busa. The only things close are the S100RR and ZX-10R, and they would still be 2nd bikes.

I was in Fresno today and I stopped by the big dealership there. The Ducati Multistrada 1200 is going to be my next bike. The only thing that will derail that is if the Yamaha Super Tenere is just unbelievable. I turned to the wife in the dealer and asked if I could go ahead and take it home. A dirty look was all the salesguy and I needed to know. I explained the hard sided luggage was a freebie and one hell of a bargain that couldn't last forever. It was to no avail.

The good news is that come bonus time in the Spring the Busa will be paid off and I'll have a hefty down payment available for the Ducati. The Busa will continue to be part of the family. The best part is the wife has agreed to this ridiculous scheme. :laugh:

I feel like a kid at Christmas time, except Christmas is 8 months away. Argh...

There's rumors of Suzuki replacing the V Strom with something a bit more dirt oriented too.

Back