I'm looking for a used Dual Sport for under $2,000 Any Ideas? Thanks!

wick001

Registered
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a used Dual Sport motorcycle that is light, that I can beat on to learn wheelies, ride around in the dirt, rain, mud, and really abuse it. Year doesn't matter.

What are some of the dual sport bikes I should be looking at? Do you think a 250cc is to small for me? I'm 6'2" 230lbs. I am determined to learn how to wheelie!

It depends on your needs. The lighter bikes handle easier in the dirt 250, but suck on pavement, the heavier ones 400 to 650 are great on pavement, but can become a handful in the dirt.

If you do not go too far North of 300lbs, you can get the best of both worlds. For 2000 dollar, it will be older technology.

I ride a Husky 610ie which I absolutely love, but no longer in production. KTM 500 EXC is now the hottest around. Look for an old Honda XLR650 or something similar.

If you really want to make a jump in your skills, use part of that $ to go to one of the "ride the rear wheel' based instructional schools (last I checked, California Superbike School has one for example) and then buy a 250 or 450 (probably 450 for your size) MX type bike with the rest of the $ and maybe even convert it to street (kits available). Just a suggestion but one school like that will save you SO MUCH in trial and error time and possible injury/damaged bike. Doyle

If you really want to make a jump in your skills, use part of that $ to go to one of the "ride the rear wheel' based instructional schools (last I checked, California Superbike School has one for example) and then buy a 250 or 450 (probably 450 for your size) MX type bike with the rest of the $ and maybe even convert it to street (kits available). Just a suggestion but one school like that will save you SO MUCH in trial and error time and possible injury/damaged bike. Doyle

+1...see above google link. :laugh:

You may want to check into your state laws about converting a mx bike for street use before you do it. Not every state will allow you to do that. If you can afford the school, that may be the way to go. If not, I would start with a big rear sprocket and power wheelies. Start small and work your way up.

I have an 08 DR650 that I am selling. But I need a bit more then 2k out of it. It is a wheelie doing son of a gun. It is more of a handful on dirt then a smaller bike, but that has never stopped me. Been on trails in the woods, sand, mx track and the street. Darn good machine!!

Could just get a new sprocket if you want to bring it up a little easier.

hayabusa sprocket.jpg

Or you don't to mess with your street bike?

hayabusa sprocket.jpg

Back