I'm back...need some expert buying help!!

AntiTrust

Registered
Greetings gurus!!

I'm a long time lurker, and a former Busa owner who temporarily strayed into the world of literbikes. I've since realized the error of my ways, and I will be buying another Hayabusa in the next week.(YES!)

I've narrowed it down to basically two bikes, and I would greatly appreciate a few opinions on which bike YOU would buy if you were in my shoes. I'm fairly conflicted....

First bike is a 2005, black and silver, with about 200 miles on it. $7500. It's been sitting for a while, obviously...200 miles isn't even a proper break-in. Anything I should be worried about? I'll obviously change / flush all the fluids immediately.

Second bike is a 2003, black and silver, with 1200 miles on it. Bone stock. $6500. If I remember correctly, the two should be mechanically identical, with just some minor cosmetic differences. Am I thinking correctly on that?

Anything I'm not thinking of? Any issues with the slightly older bikes? If I remember, weren't the starter gear and subframe issues taken care of in 2002?

I know I just need to pick one and STFU, but I would love some feedback. Push me over the edge!

~AT~

me i would do a little detective work to make sure the one with 200 mi. is right. a simple way they could have altered that is with a speedohealer and calibrate it WAY to low. so it only reads 5mph when they are going 50 mph. they could have removed it but see if it is on there now. thats just one idea imho
beerchug.gif

Thats a really good price on the 05. They gave that much in trade when I bought my 07. On don't think there were any changes between 03 and 05. I believe all serous issues were resolved prior to the 03's. I'd buy the 05, with only 200 miles it should be like new except for tank fluse, changing all fluids, and probably a new battery. Maybe tires. It its been setting that long they may be dry rotten. But with that low milage it sounds like a good buy.

I'd go for the '03 Black/Grey, but I may be biased (she's not stock though)!
laugh.gif

Baby_J__04_Jul_06____5.jpg

me i would do a little detective work to make sure the one with 200 mi. is right. a simple way they could have altered that is with a speedohealer and calibrate it WAY to low. so it only reads 5mph when they are going 50 mph. they could have removed it but see if it is on there now. thats just one idea imho
beerchug.gif
Yeah, I am definitely on the lookout for any bullshit...I'll be checking EVERYthing out before buying. I'll look at the grips, tires, levers, fasteners, brake pads, chain, etc. The speedo can say whatever it wants, but the hardware seldom lies.

I'll probably run the VIN, too...see what it's been up to for the past three years.

Thanks!!

other than the normal checks to be sure you're not in danger of being a victim of theft or a scam .... I say pick your favorite color.... the great thing about the bus is there's not a bad one in the bunch....
beerchug.gif

other than the normal checks to be sure you're not in danger of being a victim of theft or a scam ....   I say pick your favorite color....  the great thing about the bus is  there's not a bad one in the bunch....
beerchug.gif
Thanks...I will definitely be on the prowl for any shenanigans.

I did some checking, and found that both of these bikes (at least the VINs) exist in the cities where they are advertised, so that's a good start. I don't smell scam on either of them, and since I will actually go touch them before money changes hands, I think any bullshit will make itself evident.

"I am out of city, so we will use moneybookers.com, just send me your bank account number"

Just kidding...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I'd go for the 05 hands down!!!! Low miles and not much more than the 03 ,so it wudn't be a hard choice for me!
Just my .02 cents......

Why does it only have 200 miles on it? Whats the story behind that? People don't just buy a $10k bike and park it.
rock.gif

Why does it only have 200 miles on it? Whats the story behind that? People don't just buy a $10k bike and park it.
rock.gif
Low miles like that always raise my eyebrow, but it's definitely not the first time I've known someone to buy a bike and not ride it. Injury, incarceration, insurance costs, etc.

Sometimes people just buy **** to posture and get over their midlife crisis as well. People mostly do this with Harleys, but you get the idea. Hell, my roommate owns an 06 1000rr, and he NEVER rides that thing...just buys parts for it and goes to bike night in the summer.

It always raises my level of suspicion, though....you're absolutely right. Hopefully all will check out.

Based on the ones in our both seem to be about the same relative comparable price range"¦ maybe both very slightly high. Around here both seem $500 or so high if they are cosmetically near perfect. That is based the market falling because of the 08 and winter. You have a longer winter in Colorado so use that to your advantage to negotiate.

03 has the starter upgrade and that is the last major change until 08.

What about tax and license. If I remember correctly Colorado resident pay a large tax and a registration cost across three years. The second buyer picks up the remaining cost when he re-registers it. The 05 may have only paid 2/3rds of that.

Good luck with your purchase and welcome back to the busa!

Based on the ones in our both seem to be about the same relative comparable price range"¦ maybe both very slightly high. Around here both seem $500 or so high if they are cosmetically near perfect.  That is based the market falling because of the 08 and winter.  You have a longer winter in Colorado so use that to your advantage to negotiate.

03 has the starter upgrade and that is the last major change until 08.

What about tax and license. If I remember correctly Colorado resident pay a large tax and a registration cost across three years. The second buyer picks up the remaining cost when he re-registers it. The 05 may have only paid 2/3rds of that.  

Good luck with your purchase and welcome back to the busa!
Thanks for the adivce, Prof!

Buyers with out of state titles usually get their asses handed to them in fees at the Colorado DMV, but I know a few loopholes.

I have factored in the cost of registration with my purchase....I hate how Colorado does their new vehicle tags, it's so counter-intuitive. The 2005 is being sold by a dealer, so the chances of a lowball bill of sale are slim. The taxes and registration would be based on the amount of the purchase price, since it's new to me. Bunch of savages in this town...
laugh.gif

I think it really comes down to which color I like....and whether I feel like spending $1000 more becuase of it.

I'm so conflicted.

I'll be buying on Thursday, I'll make sure to post pics of the adventure!!

btw, I would go for the 05' jmho
beerchug.gif
as ling as the other pans out to really only have those mi. you cant go wrong either way.

maybe someone here can give you some solid tell tell sign to look for that a true 200mi. bike would or would not have. ie.

original tires...why would they change the tires. and wouldnt the tires still have some of those little nipples on it.

measure chain for stretch...200mi. should have hardly any stretch..

good luck
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

Back