I'm at a loss...

Whew! Thanks for all the suggestions!

This weekend I stripped the fuel pump down again, and it was fine. Re-checked all of the wiring I did and the wiring in general, checked the plugs and they were wet, checked for a spark and nearly burnt the garage down. (Note to self: don't check for a spark near a cloth soaked in petrol:fire:!). So, none of those things. Checked the tip over sensor, that was fine, connected everything back up, and it started. Well, first there was a petrol fountain as I'd forgotten to tighten one of the hose clamps, but we'll gloss over that:stoopid:!

Went out for a ride, bastard thing wouldn't pull through 3k-4k, same as the original problem. Right, everything off again. When I tried to start it back in the garage the fuel pump relay clicked like a maniac and carried on doing that when the ignition was turned off. Pulled a battery terminal and stopped that. Then I had a bright idea; pull off the Power Commander II again. It wouldn't start at all. Nothing, nada, zip. PCII back on:banghead:. That's Saturday done with.

Sunday, went to the garage with a lighter to set it on fire, decided not to. Tried most of the above again, no joy, gave up. :deadhorse:

I'm on a course this week so finishing nice and early. Got home at 4 this afternoon and decided to have another go. Tried to start it, nothing. Whipped the PCII off, and bugger me, it started, and ran, and pulled through 3k-4k. So I took her out for a test ride.

Now, she doesn't feel right. There's a hesitation off the throttle at about 2k and an occasional stumble between 3k & 4k, but she's close. I'm not sure if those are traits of a normal 1999 'Busa or not. I'm thinking not as I've never heard mention of it, but there could be a couple of other reasons; dirty fuel that's been standing for a while; air bubbles in the fuel lines, that kind of thing. SO, I'm going to go to my course on her tomorrow and see what happens. :please:

IF your plugs have been flooded with fuel put a new set in, even if they dry out it will never run good.

If removing the PC made it run better, I would say that either the PC is bad or has a bad map.

Have you been twisting the throttle lots to try and get her to start?
I would take out the Power Commander.
Then look at the fuel pump filter and replace.(early Busa's had a shiddy paper filter that always caused havoc)
Then clean each screen on all 4 injectors.(look for bits of that shiddy paper fuel filter)
Then try and re-start. If none of this helps,dont worry,you will face this issue down the road.

RSD.

4 miles away from home this morning she died, no fuel, code C41 on the dash (I left the dealer mode switch on in case this happened!). 4 hours later get recovered and I've had it dropped at my local bike shop. If I do any more to it I'm just going to set the ****ing thing on fire.

Thanks for all the help, guys. I'll let you know what happens.

Right, she's fixed. It seems a previous owner had managed to damage two wires in one of the ECU multiplugs, the wires for fuel pump and crankshaft position sensor. Instead of fixing them, they taped them together and left them. They've been making intermittent contact and causing the problem elusive nature. When I removed the PCII the other day it looks like I pushed the wires together and 'fixed' the problem. First bump I hit and they separated. The electric wizard that found the problem tested all the pins in the connector, then gave the connector a little pull and tested them again, and the broken wire popped up. £90 that cost me. Just £90. All the previous work I'd done did save me a couple of hundred as they didn't have to do them to find the problem.

All this because some arse a few years ago couldn't be bothered to properly fix a ****-up.

Back