I'm as Confused

MoosesBusa

Former BusaHolic
Donating Member
Registered
Thinking about getting a 2007 Dodge 3/4 Ton Longbed Crew Cab 4X4 Diesel. Hp and Torque are supposed to be sufficient for easily towing what i tend to haul and the fuel mileage is supposed to be high 20's. Been just waiting around until they start hitting the stealerships to start the purchasing process. Talking with my buddy Saturday as he's filling up his F350 Diesel and he points to a sticker on the pump ... This Diesel Fuel is NOT permissable for use in 2007 vehicles. OK ... Then WHAT IS!?! he tells me the '07's are not tolerant of Diesel Fuel currently available.
Anybody got the scoop on this?

its the new ethonal fuel there runnin. I was lookin at trucks too. Buy a 06 and be a happy man. That truck will pull untill something breaks and it normaly turns out to be a something on the trailor. I know. Pops has a 05 that is a hoss!!.

The new trucks will take the new fuel in a few months from what I hear.

Josh

The ONLY reason for gettin thr nw one is 4 the fuel mileage. The Hemi does everything well but she gets a tad thirsty...

"Q. Can Low Sulfur Diesel fuel be burned without operational problems in 2007 model year and later cars and trucks?

A. Diesel-powered engines for 2007 and later model year highway vehicles are designed to operate only with ULSD fuel. Improper fuel use will reduce the efficiency and durability of engines, permanently damage advanced emissions control systems, reduce fuel economy and possibly prevent the vehicles from running at all.* Manufacturer warranties are likely to be voided by improper fuel use. Additionally, burning Low Sulfur Diesel fuel in 2007 and later model year diesel-powered cars, trucks and buses is illegal and punishable with civil penalties.*"

I found that here. http://www.clean-diesel.org/faqs.html

what jwcfbd is true
low sulfur fuel actually reduces lubrication in the engines.

they are working on newer fules similar to ones in europe. this is why VW & jeep have to redo their TDI vehicles now.

what u can do is add diesel kleen cetane boost
it will lube injectors & engine as well as add a little bit a fuel rating.

i bottle treats like 300 gal.

Pardon the interruption....

Is a baby really confused in a boobie bar or is he just contemplating a plan of execution?

...we now return to our regularly schedule thread.

I think the baby is overwhelmed and excited in a booby bar because of all the milk.
beerchug.gif

Me on the other hand..... nevermind.
laugh.gif

So basically, from what I've read, here is the Cliff note version on the New Diesel Fuel...

1. Not everybody is going to be required to carry and sell the new mandated fuel until 2010 except for Cali which is already done as of June of 06 * Although ULSD fuel will be the dominant highway diesel fuel produced, EPA does not require service stations and truck stops to sell ULSD fuel. Therefore, it is possible that ULSD fuel might not be available initially at every service station or truck stop and that a diesel retailer may choose to sell Low Sulfur Diesel fuel instead of ULSD fuel. *

2. I can't use Low Sulpher Diesel ( currently available everywhere) in the 2007 model Diesels without voiding the engine warranty and resulting in "Civil Penalties". *Diesel-powered engines for 2007 and later model year highway vehicles are designed to operate only with ULSD fuel. Improper fuel use will reduce the efficiency and durability of engines, permanently damage advanced emissions control systems, reduce fuel economy and possibly prevent the vehicles from running at all.* Manufacturer warranties are likely to be voided by improper fuel use. Additionally, burning Low Sulfur Diesel fuel in 2007 and later model year diesel-powered cars, trucks and buses is illegal and punishable with civil penalties.*

3. The new fuel is going to cost more but nobody can tell me how much. *ULSD fuel costs more to refine and distribute than Low Sulfur Diesel fuel. No one can predict with certainty the price of ULSD fuel at the pump *

4. I can use the new Diesel in 2006 and older models but the fuel mileage will decrease. *Fuel economy may be reduced slightly because the process that removes sulfur also can reduce the energy content of the fuel.*

5. When switching from the old diesel to the new diesel it will cause fuel system leaks and plugging as it descales the fuel system in the vehicle. *the introduction of ULSD fuel to older vehicles may affect fuel system components or loosen deposits in fuel tanks. As part of a good maintenance program, owners and operators of existing cars, trucks and buses are encouraged to monitor their diesel-powered vehicles closely for potential fuel system leaks or premature fuel filter plugging during the change-over to ULSD fuel. *

6. All this was done to lower vehicle emissions by the year 2030 resulting in *significantly improved air quality*.

7. I'm glad I found this out now. Thanks to the Tree Huggers and the Gov't I now know I will NOT be purchasing a Diesel powered vehicle. Higher Fuel prices, Less Power and Lower fuel mileage. Nice work

I don't know about the dodge, but here is the scoop on the Ford. 07 superduty trucks with the 6.0 t/d have a carryover 06 style engine and are not required to use ulsd fuel. Untill usld is available in Oct 06, all diesel fuel pumps selling low sulpher diesel, 500 ppm sulpher, must use labels required by the epa. The labels for these pumps state "warning: federal law prohibits the use in model year 2007 and later highway vehicles and engines". This is not the case for 2007 Ford vehicles with carryover 2006 engines: therefore, both low sulfur and ultra low sulfur diesel fuels can be used in these vehicles. Hope this helps with your decision. If you decide on a Ford, give me a shout and I'll give you the info you need to cut a sweet deal. I'm the fleet mgr. for a large Ford dealer here in Kansas City

I'll keep that in mind, Thank you. What kind of mileage do the F250 4X4's get?

So are we talking trucks and mileage or Boobies and milkage? Confused too.

we run duramax's, our fuel mpg pulling bikes, hay,campers etc. is from 16 to 18. even without pulling the best we can get is around 20. if the new dodges get in the upper 20s that is awesome. have not heard much about the new fuel other than someone is builidng a ethanol plant here. it should be up and running in 3 months, from my understanding they belive it to be a huge growth business.

MB - good call on your Topic Title! You sure know how to draw attention to your topic!
biggrin.gif

(MoosesBusa @ Sep. 22 2006,05:05) I'll keep that in mind, Thank you. What kind of mileage do the F250 4X4's get?
The Ford superduty trucks with the 6.0 diesel engine will get between 18 to 20 mpg, pulling a load. It will do a little better not towing a load, but not upper 20s. The superduty trucks are not required to list fuel milage, however, this is the milage I got with my F350 dually crew cab with the turbo diesel.

my 6.0L 250 in stock trim (crew cab, short box, 4x4) got 16-18 city / 19-22 hwy
-chip econo mode - 19 city / 24 hwy
-chip 150HP+ 5" exhaust - 15 city / 18-19 hwy

My current truck. (and probably will be for many, many years to come.)
'06 Ram 2500 QC 4X2 with the 5.9L Diesel
23.5 mph average
19 pulling 6 X12 enclosed.
I have an Edge EZ module on the economy setting. I will get a mile or two to a gallon more when my Roll Top hard cover goes on. When I figure out how to lower her a little that will give me a little more fuel economy. In a few months I will be changing all the fluids over to Amsoil and that is supposed to give me an extra 1-2 mpg also. By the middle of next year I should be sitting between 28-30 mpg. Not bad for a 6500# truck.

Find an 06 and be happy. To many restrictions coming with the 07's.

I couldn't be happier with my new truck. Had her just over a month.

Later,

Steve

hmmmm not a bad idea ... Incentives will be hitting the market making the leftover 06's a LOT more affordable too ...

Back