I'm a pig out of the hole

busa_bill

Life - tastes like chicken!
Donating Member
Registered
I rode dirt bikes and was good at 2nd gear motor starts.
The clutch on this bike is giving me a hard time, plus the stock gearing I'm sure hurts me.
Deal is I ride the bike 400-500 miles a week, and cruise 80 mph pretty much the whole way. Thinking that changing the gearing out will kill my MPG.
Sure would like to know if there's a trick to getting a good launch on this heavy beast. There's a super fine line when trying to slip the clutch between not enough and too much.
Seems it goes straight from slipping too much, to full engage and bogging the motor down.
Maybe I'm being a weenie on the throttle?

More throttle will fix it!  Lower your tire pressure, give more throttle and don't let the front wheel come up more than 4-5".  If it is bogging down then giving it a little more throttle won't cause you to wheelie.  Just keep increasing the amount of throttle until you get it.

<!--EDIT|300Busa
Reason for Edit: "took out the word &quot;loop&quot;...might scare him."|1155753396 -->

The trick to launching a stock wheelbase bike is definately feathering the clutch. As scary as it seems, put that beast up to like 5k rpms, then simultaniously go full throttle as you slip the clutch out like 40 feet. This will get you out of the hole as fast as possible. As you get better, you can give it more rpms and less feather. I leave at the track at 8 grand, but I am stretched also.

I agree with ECC Prez. Feather the clutch when launching. 5k is good with a stock wheelbase. Do you have a clutch mod? That will help out as well.

Back