I'm 18 years old and have been on a 'Busa since I got my license two years ago.

Last edited:
I agree with the OP. The busa is not a bike for beginners to be afraid of as long as they have some motorcycle experience at some point in their life and if they have a lot of common sense. I had a little dirt bike as an adolescent and rode my dad's cruisers from time to time in my 30s. I went straight to the ZX-14 when I was 41 and then I got my busa the following year. No accidents on the road with either. Close calls, yes but nothing dangerous has happened because of the power I have at my control. I'm a measure twice cut once kind of guy though (knock on wood). Not everyone rolls like that.

The first time I ever sat on a motorcycle was when I bought my Gen 1. I trailered it home and didn’t actually put it on the road for weeks after that. I drove it around my yard getting familiar with it until I was comfortable enough to take it down the street to the stop sign and back.

I live in the middle of nowhere so there was no traffic to worry about. Should I have started with a 250 or something smaller? Probably. I struggled at low speeds and wasn’t able to enjoy the bike properly because parking lots and low speeds terrified me due to the weight of the bike and how small I am.

Just something to keep in mind for new riders. Once a Busa starts to fall at low speeds, someone my size won’t be able to stop it, nor will you be able to pick it back up if you’re alone.

Back