Ignition keyhole coating and steering stem nut scratches

Hayabusa Wannabe

Registered
Part of the keyhole is black, the rest is shiny chrome. Is there a factory coating on some or all of the keyhole?

Look at this disaster. Can the steps of installing a device or camera initiate damage here? I cannot think of a reason someone would have touched the steering stem nut otherwise but it appears like a removal or tightening was performed. I am guessing the prior owner used vice grips or perhaps a 48-point socket.

The steering stem nut and washer to my door is around $50. Holy cow that is Honda pricing!

Has anyone touched up the mat black on the steering bracket? What type of paint has a bit of texture to it like this? Hrm, I identified a Rust-oleum stone finish. I can spray it out then brush some on methinks (chance of adhesion notwithstanding.) Perhaps too much texture in that. Hrm.

0006-05-23-2020-071134AM_CROP.jpg

0007-05-23-2020-071230AM_crop.jpg

0006-05-23-2020-071134AM_CROP.jpg

Last edited:
Part of the keyhole is black, the rest is shiny chrome. Is there a factory coating on some or all of the keyhole?

View attachment 1619538

Look at this disaster. Can the steps of installing a device or camera initiate damage here? I cannot think of a reason someone would have touched the steering stem nut otherwise but it appears like a removal or tightening was performed. I am guessing the prior owner used vice grips or perhaps a 48-point socket.

The steering stem nut and washer to my door is around $50. Holy cow that is Honda pricing!

Has anyone touched up the mat black on the steering bracket? What type of paint has a bit of texture to it like this? Hrm, I identified a Rust-oleum stone finish. I can spray it out then brush some on methinks (chance of adhesion notwithstanding.) Perhaps too much texture in that. Hrm.

View attachment 1619539

View attachment 1619540
View attachment 1619541
Qwik and easy way might be to try and find all those parts used.
Nothing sitting in the hole in that nut would cause that damage.My guess some donkey-dik took a chisel to it to tighten it up.At least thats the direction the scar indicates.Unless they were really stoopid and forgot "Lefty Loosey,Righty Titey" LOL.You could see if the nut looks the same on the other side,just flip it over to look better. Somebody has pry'd on yer ignition too.Maybe sandblast those parts you want to paint. The paint will stick to them easy then. (prime first of course).
Rubb.

Back