If your in the market for a new HDTV read this FIRST!!!

The author is quite obviously not a video connoisseur. I worked for Circuit City for a number of years and I can tell you with absolute certainty that black levels are the canvas for a brilliant picture. Televisions with the darkest blacks were the most brilliant displays, those with low contrast were crap. Nothing has changed with today's TV's except that it's a bit more difficult to find crap anymore, which is great for the consumer.

To say that high contrast true black is "only necessary when watching in low light" is like saying that a 200HP Busa is only necessary when riding at high speeds. The times when blacks are the most important is when you are watching high quality movies where it is likely you have the lights dimmed anyway. Why would you want to buy something that won't perform at it's peak when you require it the most?

Not fond of the author, seems like a very misinformed individual. Technical jargon is great, but opinions are a dime a dozen. :beerchug:

The whole HDTV thing confuses me, but thanks Busaman5000 for posting a new tread. I really love your avatar, WOW :thumbsup:.

me confused...nope...wont get rid of the tube tv...not yet...still works lol

The author is quite obviously not a video connoisseur. I worked for Circuit City for a number of years and I can tell you with absolute certainty that black levels are the canvas for a brilliant picture. Televisions with the darkest blacks were the most brilliant displays, those with low contrast were crap. Nothing has changed with today's TV's except that it's a bit more difficult to find crap anymore, which is great for the consumer.

To say that high contrast true black is "only necessary when watching in low light" is like saying that a 200HP Busa is only necessary when riding at high speeds. The times when blacks are the most important is when you are watching high quality movies where it is likely you have the lights dimmed anyway. Why would you want to buy something that won't perform at it's peak when you require it the most?

Not fond of the author, seems like a very misinformed individual. Technical jargon is great, but opinions are a dime a dozen. :beerchug:

I agree 100%, it will also help with the whites as well, go to the stores and look at the tv's with the higher contrast levels, notice how the black looks black and not a grayish black, you can also notice the whites have a cleaner look and not off white or milky white!

I was at a Sams Club the other day that had a Samsung HDTV connected to a Blue-Ray player playing Avatar...it was almost like you could reach thru a window and tap someone on the shoulder. It's amazing how fast technology has improved in just 5 years...and price..

I think what the author is saying is that these "dynamic" contrast ratio numbers are worthless. They measure black level when there is nothing on the screen at all so the back lighting is turned either completely off or as low as they will go. When anything at all comes on the screen, even just a tiny dot, the back lighting has to turn back on which effectively makes the entire screen brighter.

Contrast ratio is one of the most important numbers to know on a new TV. Black level has a huge effect on the picture quality. Just look at a Pioneer Kuro plasma. But only true contrast ratio numbers matter. Dynamic numbers are just a gimmick.

Yep the new Nintendo 3DS handheld is coming out later this I believe. No glasses required for it either.

Remember 30 something yrs ago in the first Star Wars movie on Millenium Falcon Luke Skywalker playing Chewbacca the 3D combat game ?
How about the movie 'The Abyss" with them breathing liquid oxygen ?
Already happening.

It is only a matter of time before reality catches up with Hollywood.
Same as Avatar. All things we see tech wise will come to pass.

Remember 30 something yrs ago in the first Star Wars movie on Millenium Falcon Luke Skywalker playing Chewbacca the 3D combat game ?
How about the movie 'The Abyss" with them breathing liquid oxygen ?
Already happening.

It is only a matter of time before reality catches up with Hollywood.
Same as Avatar. All things we see tech wise will come to pass.

Yep. The translucent computer screens in avatar was already demonstrated at CES this year using OLED.
Posted via Mobile Device

Let me know when they perfect the hologram for home viewing.

Also, I won't be buying a 3D TV EVER! It is a downgrade in image quality in exchange for a gimmicky trick. I prefer to see my images crystal clear instead of some partially blurry 3 dimensional replication.

Is be the first on board for a star trek style holodeck. I would NEVER leave the house!
Posted via Mobile Device

Back