If you had $2k and wanted to improve handling...

mcoyote

Registered
I have no problems with the 'Busa's power and torque. I have no desire to change out the exhaust or re-map it. I wish it was a little more fun in the following ways:

(1) Braking
(2) Transitions and basic handling
(3) Dealing with punnishment from bad pavement

...The first item I've tried to address with SS lines and HH pads, and it's helped a bit. A good bit -- I wouldn't go back to stock for anything. How about brembo golds or an ap system?

The second item, I don't know what to do. One guy at ST.N suggested lighter wheels, and I can see that. Upgraded forks is another.

Item 3 I can deal with without too much fuss on my own -- I don't see the need for a new rear shock right now. An airhawk seat cover will get me into long-mileage territory without much fuss.

So...if you had only $2k and your goal was to improve the items listed above, in the listed order, what would you do?

Thanks!

Hi!

1)Full Akrapovic System ~-10kg (rear end really likes it)
2)Ohlins rear shock (million years ahead in steering)
3)Front suspension revalving
4)Brake lines and pads - minimum

Maybe it is above 2k but ....:-))

Spend every last minute on a quality race school and track days after that.  I'll bet money that if you get your susspension tuned, maybe change the weight of you shock oil, but focus more on improving your riding, you will no longer need suspension work.  

I am not saying this in a you down there "You must not know how to ride" sorta way but in a go improve your skills so you can exploit the suspension you have first, then decide if you really need new parts.

OK Direct answer to your question.  Punishment on rough pavement is a fact life.  It's a sport bike, and just like a sports car they are set up a little stiff out of neccessity.  BUT, For two grand, I would buy a quality set of lightweight Forged Ally wheels, have them bolted in there and then have your suspension tuned and set up.  The lowering of unsprung weight on those wheels will increase feel, increase acceleration, decrease the effort needed to whip it around and as a bonus they will look sharp as hell also. Wheels will improve the handling in every aspect, trully an all around improvement accept... In High speed straight line stability...

My .02 Bro.

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1080937966 -->

I have thought about this for some time and I probably would go for the wheel swap. Unsprung weight reduction improves acceleration,braking, and overall handling. The Busa wheels are probably the heaviest of all the bikes out now. Unfortunatly I would go w/ the Blackstone Tek carbon wheels but @ 3,400 a set thats about 1,400 over budget. The 03' and up 1k wheels fit the Busa and are still considerably lighter. That maybe a better option. An idea would be to go to a chromer and offer a swap out because more people chrome Busa's than gixxer 1k's and you would end up with lighter wheels real cheap if not free.

Ohlins all around would be my next choice, but once again we would be well over the 2k limit. So a racetech re-valve according to rider weight and style would be in order.

Brakes would come in next, but my opinion on brakes is unless your shaving seconds on your lap times a upgraded brake system is probably overkill for street ridin'. Pads and lines would be sufficient. Brembo has a nice system for about 1,200 bucks. I would go with AP or PVM's with the PVM radial mount on Ohlins forks.

Another idea: let GMD computrack dial in your chasis for optimal handling. You can also improve ride and control with different tires.

I'll stop now.

Get an Ohlins rear shock and the Ohlins fork respring kit for your stock forks. This should be at or around the 2K limit. Then find a capable suspension guy to set your bike up for YOUR weight. Even with stock suspension this would make a world of difference. Busa owners are lucky, we only have one rear shock.
My 99' Kawi ZRX1100 had two shocks, so an Ohlins upgrade was about $1200 just for the rear set-up.

Let me know if you need new parts, I'll give you a deal on them.

<!--EDIT|GMbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1080956436 -->

Better handling? Move your beer gut to the inside of the turn. LOL

Better handling? Move your beer gut to the inside of the turn. LOL
Well, it's not a BEER gut, but it is almost slideable, FWIW
biggrin.gif

Ok, ok, it's just the late winter blues wearing off. I WANT TO RIDE MORE, DAMMIT, but I don't have the time, so I get to think about what's (might be) wrong. I just need to find me some twisty road...I think I'll start tomorrow morning...

Anyway, I've decided that the bike is basically great in most respects, but since I've maxed out the rear preload (280lb w/gear) and most of the forks, a new shock/spring and some fork springs may be in order. Also, I think I'll extend the forks.

New wheels make some sense, but my commute would probably pound the snot out of nice mag or CF units. The brakes aren't that bad, after all. I finally got a crack at a ZX-10R, and those breaks are GREAT, but not worlds apart.

ALSO, in order to facilitate staying on the road, I've finally broken down and ordered a radar detector (V1), and figured out a good permanent wiring/semi-permanent mounting arrangement. Should make me popular in the fast lane  
wink.gif

Thanks for all of the advice.

ED - I found this link very useful (ppsracing provided the Ohlins on my BMW):
http://www.motorsports-network.com/prodtest/ProjBusa/projbusa.htm

<!--EDIT|mcoyote
Reason for Edit: None given...|1081053816 -->

Back