If I replace the speedo?

Uncle Jimmy

Registered
I am in the act of replace a lot of parts that were damaged during my accident last October. I was wondering if I replace the entire speedometer set, would I lose the miles that are on there? I don't want to lose it, because I want to know how many miles the bike continues to go over the many years that I will have it. Is that data stored in the gauge set or in the ECU?

The miles are stored in the speedo not the ECU. So whatever the mileage is on the new speedo that's what your stuck with

Not disagreeing with you 1Busa, but there has to be a way to replace the instrument cluster and update the odometer. Instrument clusters fail and they would have to be able to transfer the miles. I bet the dealer has a way to plug into the cluster and edit it with a computer.

Not disagreeing with you 1Busa, but there has to be a way to replace the instrument cluster and update the odometer. Instrument clusters fail and they would have to be able to transfer the miles. I bet the dealer has a way to plug into the cluster and edit it with a computer.

Yes There may be a way but swapping gauges your also gonna swap miles. That's why I always tell people who are buying a "low mileage@ bike from somebody they don't know its a good idea to look it over thoroughly because for less than $200 and a click on eBay your 20,000 mile busa turns into a 2,000 mile busa with a swap of the speedo.

I'm sure there's a way..... Nothing is impossible with a Busa after all. Maybe there's a way to disassemble the speedo take apart the internals and resauder the connections?? Maybe ?? Or another way?? But I haven't heard of it

A lot of the places where you buy new speedo's or swap speedo's for lights etc will reprogram them for you to what ever speed your prior speedo was set to.

No dealer will make a sticker with old mileage on the frame next to vin, or you can find a guy who can reprogram odometer fo nominal fee. doing that knowingly is felony, keep it in mind.

You guy are all awesome. My accident broke the back of the gauge cluster where it bolts on to the upper stay. I think I will just try to find out if I can just buy the back piece and screw it on. I want to keep my miles. There's a lot of really good memories behind them.

2012 Suzuki Hayabusa (GSX1300R) SPEEDOMETER (GSX1300R L2 E28) | Babbitts Suzuki Parts House
LOWER CASE ASSY
34111-15H00 $138.88

I'm sure I can find it cheaper, but for now I will look into getting this.
Thank you all.

RedBusarider,
Zip Code is 09096. I am in the Army stationed in Wiesbaden, Germany. Sending things to my APO is just like sending something across the US. It just take around 2 weeks to arrive.

Call Honda East Toledo and ask for Colin. Tell him you're from the forum and see what he can do on the price

You obviously know nothing about legality in this matter... do your research before giving ignorant advice,please.

Pardon me sir, but you are the one who is ignorant.
Please contact Blue Guages with your doubts before you try to politely belittle me.
If the OP has the title, and his old and new gauges, they CAN LEGALLY set the mileage to the new speedometer.
It's not, "I'll just call them, tell them some mileage, and they do whatever I want".
There are other business's that offer this service for cars as well.
Do you really belive that if a speedo breaks there is nothing you can do?

Please contact Blue Guages with your doubts before you try to politely belittle me.
If the OP has the title, and his old and new gauges, they CAN LEGALLY set the mileage to the new speedometer.
It's not, "I'll just call them, tell them some mileage, and they do whatever I want".

I have done this with multiple cars and trucks. I can not imagine that the laws are any different with a motorcycle.

I agree ^^^

What if a bike hit a deer and the nose fairing and speedo were destroyed? If a new speedo was purchased with 0 miles
and the owner remembered he had about 11200 miles (or could prove it with the old gauges) wouldn't it be better to advance
the new speedo to that mileage? A sticker put on the bike could wear off etc. So having the new one updated should be
more ethical then writing something down which could get lost.

Not many laws take into account every situation that could arise.
I'm sure laws (with speedos) are designed to prevent someone from rolling back a speedo so as to
make a vehicle appear to be less used then it really is. Should some one be penalized for doing the right thing by adding mileage
to reflect the actual mileage?

I have done this with multiple cars and trucks. I can not imagine that the laws are any different with a motorcycle.

The laws are the same for cars and bikes, but do vary some state to state.
However, even with some differences in laws, it can and is still done legally.:beerchug:

You obviously know nothing about legality in this matter... do your research before giving ignorant advice,please.

Here you go.

Make yourself informed, instead of ignorant.
I obviously know more than you assumed.
Have a nice evening sir.

These guys have been around a long time, and they do excellent work.
They have also done gauges for me, so this is first hand information, not hear say.
Bluegauges.com - Mileage Correction

Back