Idle specs

My new 2003 was around 900 and kept stalling in the morning. The manual says like 1150-1250 or so [I forget]. Also the idle spec is printed on a sticker on the right side of the frame under your leg. I'd recommend 1200ish. I lifted the tank and turned the screw and that took care of it for about a month, then it went back down. At 4000 oil change, they fixed it again and it went back down again already.
sad.gif
I'm gonna use some GUM next I think.

and here I look st00pid so I'll repeat myself... where's the freakin DELETE??
smile.gif

My new 2003 was around 900 and kept stalling in the morning.  The manual says like 1150-1250 or so [I forget].  Also the idle spec is printed on a sticker on the right side of the frame under your leg.  I'd recommend 1200ish.  I lifted the tank and turned the screw and that took care of it for about a month, then it went back down.  At 4000 oil change, they fixed it again and it went back down again already.  
sad.gif
  I'm gonna use some GUM next I think.

There seems to be some variation in engine idle speed from bike to bike. I have a feeling that the bikes leave the factory set about the same, but due to altitude differences from place to place, the engine idle speed might be a bit low on a new bike.

Easy enough to adjust. Lift the tank and there it is on the right side. I try to keep mine a bit over what I think is 1100RPM. Any lower than that and it idles very rough and tends to stall.

Mine is down on the right side right above where you put in the oil. And I keep mine between 11 and 12 as well. Anything less for me stalls.

My 03 just had the first service and I noticed that the other day it was around 800-900, so ya I got to bump it up some! Not un-common it sounds,

Thanks - mine was making some awful noise at that rpm (800 rpm)...big clunks in the lower engine (like rod knock). Guess it was just running tooo slow!

i cranked mine up to 1500 with the TRE sitting at light it makes it drop down a few hundred to brought it up to 1500 so when i take off is just right
cool.gif

Never thought about the TRE making a difference in idle...bet that's why it is too slow. Going to bump it up a bit:laugh:

Never thought about the TRE making a difference in idle...bet that's why it is too slow.  Going to bump it up a bit:laugh:
Mcy:

You have a few Busa riders near you that are friends of mine. They live in Wood River. Bob, my best friend, is the Post Master of Wood River. Tree lives in Wood River and RexArmy lives in Alton. You ought to drop by the WR Post Office some time and say hi to bob. It is on Ferguson Ave., downtown WR. Take care.

Postal.

So, what's the scoop on this? Why does it keep happening? Should I use GUM to stick the idel screw?

Back