idle problems

daiddu

Registered
I've had my nearly new 04 LE in the shop twice now for the idle dropping down to 950ish RPMs. Twice the shop has raised it to nearly 1200.

It's back down, anyone else have these problems or know why my idle doens't want to stay put? Thanks,

dd

The idle screws suck ass. Pull it all the way off, stretch the spring a bit to add some pressure to it to stay in place. You can also put a drop off blue lock tight on the threads when you put it back in. Then adjust it and forget it. You can still break the locktite loose later if it needs further adjusting.
wink.gif

cool thanks, you'd think the dealer would know this without me having to bring it in twice...

dd

I had the same deal...After I realized the screw was backing out. I adjusted the cable and put on a drop of finger nail polish...Problem solved.

<!--EDIT|Dulimon
Reason for Edit: None given...|1096903412 -->

Same answer as posted above, BUT...

use the purple Loctite. It is for srews up to 1/4". The blue is for larger fasteners. The purple will still hold but is more easily broken loose, preventing you from stripping the head of the screws.

Just my $0.02
biggrin.gif

I know this is a dumb one, but where is that damn screw ? Also, what is the proper idle RPM ? Mine is down to 900 or so and the engine dies on many stops...

Thanks

I have only adjusted mine once so far but it seems to be getting a little low again. I adjusted mine to @1250-1300. Seems good enough. the screw is on the right side under the airbox. Very easy to get to.

The easiest way to get it is...Raise the tank and look a little under the edge of the air box on the right hand side. (If you still have your owners manual it can help) If you can't locate the throttle bracket twist the throttle and you'll see movement where the idle screw is located. It is easy to get to. If you get confused as to which screw. First move your fast idle lever and you'll see the fast idle lever arm rocking back and forth stopping against the fast idle screw. Then look for the larger adjustment screw below. The throttle will stop against it when released. The head will face towards the back of the bike and much easier to access. Look at your owners manual for idle speed (1050-1250). With the bike warmed to operating temp adjust idle speed. Follow the other post as far as securing the screw from backing out. As you know if its to low it will die at idle or when shifting lightly cruising around. I keep mine at 1000-1050...just prefer a low idle. BTW - you'll have to remove the seat and while its off inspect your battery terminals for corrosion and inspect other areas in general that you can't normally see.

<!--EDIT|Dulimon
Reason for Edit: None given...|1096741240 -->

Dulimon thank you for the detailed reply, and advice ;-)

I am heading to the garage now to get her back up to 1050 or 1100 !

Your welcome...If you have future problems or questions just post them, someone with the answer will help or point you in the right direction.

Just a thought. When the dealership adjusted mine, they had it too high at around 1400. I lowered it back down to 1000 and then adjusted the fastidle to 1350.

With an idle that is set too high, you are losing your available engine braking for slowing down and stability in low speed cornering.

Everybody has their own preference though.
wink.gif

Back