Idle changed

Bronto

Registered
Why it's taken so long, I have no excuses. But finally got around to running some fuel injector cleaner in the system. Prombted by not so great starts and ruff idle.
Five days ago ran some fuel injector cleaner gas additive about 2x the recommended dose. Ran the tank empty and filled up again. Put the recommened amount of fuel injector cleaner gas additive in. It's running this mixture since 15 miles ago.
Five days ago, pulled the spakplugs and gave em a cleaning they have 2500 miles on them. The sparkplug cleaning really made difference in starting.
Tonight on a Burger run, it's chilly out. Bike starts nice and quick. Get into the next town at the signal lights. Noticed idle has jumped 200-300 rpm over yesterday. It's running nice and smooth.

What happened ?
biggrin.gif

I would like it to be the fuel injectors passed a kidney stone, feel much better about themselves
biggrin.gif

Is the Busa thinking it's cold out, time to run a higher rpm idle ?

Look into the cable adjustments tomarrow.

<!--EDIT|Bronto
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101791987 -->

biggrin.gif

Sounds like since you cleaned things up and its running smoother, its also running a little quicker at idle.......usually a rough running engine is gonna idle slower. I'm not sure about the double dose of injector cleaner tho....that stuff can be kinda harsh on rubber and sensors sometimes. I would try it at the recommended mix for a few tanks first before I doubled up.
wink.gif

There is another reason not to double up on injector cleaner...it can attract water. Follow the dosing they recommend.
smile.gif

Turned Idle screw back as adviced. It sure runs nice compared to before, who knew
biggrin.gif

Now on only use 1x recommended amount of the gas additive. Bottle has it, use same time change oil frequency.
Checked throttle adjustment could see no hang ups.
BTW I allways get gas from the independants gas stations. Don't think they have any additives in their gas like the Big Oil stations have.
Thanks I had some doubt it was the cleaner that made this big of difference. With thoughts of Barametric pressure, tempature, humidity all the sensors on a Busa might of had something to do with it.

I had the same cold weather experience! I got my busa in March of 2004, I've have had the typical "idle keeps dropping" problem that I've read on this board. But when it got significantly colder, the idle actually rose all by itself! To about 1400 to 1500 rpm. Or circumstances are a little different, I about 1/4 bottle of fuel injector cleaner every 5th tank, and I follow the maintanence program off the back of the book. Spark plugs been changed once.

I think our busa can sense the surrounding temp and tries to adjust itself.

Stupid questions, but what octane of fuel are you running? Also, does your riding include lots of urban stop-n-go? Is the bike stock?

This is an interesting topic. I bought my Busa new in August of 2003 and the idle has continually dropped. I could understand it rising as the engine breaks in, but dropping? Anyway, I live in central Pennsylvania, so it got chilly in early November and my idle suddenly rose A LOT right before I put the bike away for the winter. Based on your comments about colder weather affecting the idle speed like that, I'm curious to see what it's like in the spring.

Mine has 7,000 miles on it and I've never run injector cleaner through it or cleaned the plugs. Any thoughts?

Ed

87 Oct. I don't do a lot of stop-n-go because we can split lanes and ride the car pool (diamond) lane in California. So I really just stop at the light, or if some cold-ass cager decides to close the gap on me in a traffic jam. Mixture of freeway and "city" riding, probably more "city" than freeway considering the "freeway" condition in L.A. What the hell is so "free" about it anyways??

87 Oct.  I don't do a lot of stop-n-go because we can split lanes and ride the car pool (diamond) lane in California.  So I really just stop at the light, or if some cold-ass cager decides to close the gap on me in a traffic jam.  Mixture of freeway and "city" riding, probably more "city" than freeway considering the "freeway" condition in L.A.  What the hell is so "free" about it anyways??
Hmmm, if it wasn't 87 octane, I would have blamed it on clogged injectors from a bad batch of gas (water or crud).

Use the 87 Octane. Stuff clogging the injectors I wouldn't doubt it. Fuel pump taken from a crunched tank, had rust. Pump cleaned up well, it doesn't rust. But some rust likely was in the lines. Throttle Body was purchased seperate. It was sitting around collecting dust no doubt. I get around to getting new seals for the injectors, have to have a close look at them. Some tanks later the Idle is still good.

I had the same cold weather experience!  I got my busa in March of 2004, I've have had the typical "idle keeps dropping" problem that I've read on this board.  But when it got significantly colder, the idle actually rose all by itself!  To about 1400 to 1500 rpm.  Or circumstances are a little different,  I about 1/4 bottle of fuel injector cleaner every 5th tank, and I follow the maintanence program off the back of the book.  Spark plugs been changed once.

I think our busa can sense the surrounding temp and tries to adjust itself.
I'm almost sure that this is typical with fuel injected engines. The same thing happens on my bike and on my Chevy Suburban. There was an actual explanation given to me on this by a co-worker/mechanic/racer friend I know, but don't remember exactly what it was he told me, but I do remember that it's not harmful at all. It's typical.

Question is: Does it idle itself back down once the engine starts to warm up?
rock.gif
If you watch the RPM guage, it should idle back the normal idling position after a couple of minutes.

Back