Idle Adjustment 101

The Oracle

Registered
The Motorcycle Owner's Manual (MOM) tells us that the idle should be set the idle between 1050 and 1200 RPMs. I am sure this figure is different depending on your altitude, temperature, humidity, etc. So, you will have to figure out what works best for you. I set mine for approximately 1097.36 RPMs and it is working great!

Also, make sure the engine is up to operating temperature before checking your idle speed or adjusting it. This can be accomplished by letting it idle for about 8-10 minutes.

The following steps are included in the attached pic.

1. remove the two bolts holding the front seat, and remove the seat;
2. remove the two forward bolts holding the tank down and lift it;
3. use the rod in the trunk to hold the tank up (thanks Big E). Insert the rod into the steering head nut hole, and the other end goes into one of the holes that the tank screw went through. BTW - pay no attention to the fact that I was using a mallet... Dur;
4. locate the idle adjustment screw on the right side and turn it slightly either direction to change idle up or down.

As usual, your comments, suggestions, or whatever are welcomed!

-V

idle.jpg

Yeah, the shop manual shows the idle adjuster coming out between the frame and the fairing down low on the right side. I looked for that darn thing for 20 minutes (figuring mine fell off) before reading that my '01 is under the tank, DUH!

Wishin I had one of those thangs! Its a little bit of a production to get to it as is. First the seat, then the tank, then get into the trunk to get the rod, etc. just to twist a screw for 2 seconds.

Back