Idle Adjustment 101

The Oracle

Registered
My idle was running around 950 today, so I decided to adjust it. I am posting this so that others can make the adjustment a little easier than I did... Sheesh!

The following steps are included in the attached pic.

1. remove the two bolts holding the front seat, and remove the seat;
2. remove the two forward bolts holding the tank down and lift it;
3. use the rod in the trunk to hold the tank up (thanks Big E). BTW - pay no attention to the fact that I was using a mallet... Dur;
4. locate the idle adjustment screw on the right side and turn it slightly either direction to change idle up or down.

Notes: The manual says to set the idle between 1050 and 1200 RPMs. I am sure this figure is different depending on your altitude, temperature, humidity, etc. So, you will have to figure out what works best for you. I set mine for approximately 1097.36 RPMs and it is working great!

Also, make sure the engine is upto operating tamperature before checking your idle speed or adjusting it. This can be accomplished by letting it idle for about 8-10 minutes.

As usual, your comments, suggestions, or whatever are welcomed!

-V

idle.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Why didnt you use the tank prop rod in the trunk??? The mallet will work though.
smile.gif

Aw man! I took my side fairing off to get at that bugger!! Oh well, it was a learning experience.

Nice pics and thanks for the helpful info!

Word up playaz why is my johnn(idle adj) on my right side on plain eye view did Suzuki change its location on the later models.

Piece out from GREECE

Word up playaz why is my johnn(idle adj) on my right side on plain eye view did Suzuki change its location on the later models.

Piece out from GREECE
weird... I dunno. I have a 2003 and it was definitely hidden. Wish it was exposed. My old Kawa Concours had it right there where I could twist it on the go. SWEET!

2000 is located on the right side of the bike in plain view...... Nice pic's for those of you who have to go hunting!

Back