Iconic song has become my reality ... They are like me!

BUBBA

Foghoon Leghoon
Donating Member
Registered
Well most of us can remember this song from our past, but our children may not.

I had a similar occurrence recently, and said to my eldest "Cats in the Cradle" Huh?

She did not know what I was referring to.

Two days later I asked if she was going to meet us at the house and she said "No, the youngest is sick and my boyfriend has to work, but we would really love to be there" I was set back in my seat and dumbfounded!

It had finally come to pass that an Iconic song was now my present reality!

So I went on line and sent her this video.

What are your thoughts now, when this has come to pass?

I am happy for my children and proud of what they have become, but always feel I should have been there more.
Bubba

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the first time my Dad told me that I was 10... lol... It's part of life... They grow up so fast.

"It's part of life..."

-Especially in these times for many trying to make a living/supporting a family.

I know where you are comming from. I work alot to try and to give my kids everything I didnt have. The bad part about that is that I didnt get to see him to much. He just got finished with school and him and 3 of his friends moved to Boulder co. He called yesterday and said he wont be home that they found jobs. I was heartbroken. I asked if he could come home for his 18th birthday and he said he didnt think so that he had to work. All I can think is ,did i gave him that mentality?

I don't know were you are coming from Buba since I am raising a teenage daughter and my son is a pre-teen I am learning so much everyday the importance of been there for them and trying to do the best dad and I bet you are a wonderful dad to your children as God is to as we may not be the perfect dad's but we try our best I lost my kids for two years after I divorce my wife and time has pass before my eyes and my kids are getting so big now and I ask my self my god my god were is the time has gone by, But I have learn that if I fall 7 times I'll get up on the 8 as a new beginning I love you guys God bless you , I don't need to know you much to love guys I've never heard the song and I just tear up because my son told me last night he want it to be like me! man I am so bless with the gift that god has entrusted me to raise to beautiful children.

This is the number one reason why I ride between 4:00 and 6:00A.M. so I can be with my family when I get home from work.

I have an 11th month old and try to be there all the time I can (I work and my wife is home with our son), but I know as a new parent that one of my biggest fears is not being there enough. So I take every opportunity I can (which def cuts into my riding but is well worth it to me) to be there and experience all his new milestones.

Yep! I've got four boys from 16 to 20. I don't see the oldest one very much because he works in another city. The middle one doesn't really like me very much and the youngest one clings to me like flies on poop. The other one looks at me and I'm sure he wonders if he is from another family somehow. They are all they're own men; very different, each of them. However; and this is where the parents come in, they all finished high school, they all have jobs, they all have relationships, they all go to church(sometimes), they all come home at least once a year. None of them are thieves, liars, or bums. I can talk to them all. I'm gonna hang my hat on that!

And Harry is my fav - hands down, bar none. Best songwriter - ever.

Last edited:
I know exactly where you are coming from Bubba and even as we have sacrificed for our children and tried to be there for them I don't know if they appreciate it anymore than we did when we were that age. Hard to put into words, you love them, cherish them and protect them to the extent that you can and you do the best that you can. Mine are 26 and 22 and you never stop worrrying about them.

On Children
Kahlil Gibran

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.

That's the first time I've seen Kahlil Gibran quoted on this board. Awesome. And then to have that combined with Cats in the Cradle (one of my fave songs) in the same thread...stellar day.

Thanks, all
I think we raised our kids as best we can, trying to teach them independence and dedication to our given vocation.

I do not regret that, and want to clarify that I still have a close relationship with them, just on a more adult level. I see my grandchildren and miss the young times.

It is always a parents wish to spend more time with their kids, no matter what, after they have grown.

I am a proud Papa and still have little ones running around to keep me young enough. :laugh: just get melancholy every now and then.

Bubba

I was with my daughter in her room last night before she went to sleep, we had the light off and were chatting on the bed. I couldn't understand much about what she was saying (telling me about some kiddie movie she'd seen on Disney very - disjointed as kids are), but listening to her little girl sing-song voice that she'll lose in 5 years was PRECIOUS and IRREPLACEABLE.

I was with my daughter in her room last night before she went to sleep, we had the light off and were chatting on the bed. I couldn't understand much about what she was saying (telling me about some kiddie movie she'd seen on Disney very - disjointed as kids are), but listening to her little girl sing-song voice that she'll lose in 5 years was PRECIOUS and IRREPLACEABLE.

Thanks for sharing this, I am glad you still have this time to share with her and recognize it now.
So many times we take them for granted and before you know it, the time has past.

Nice that you can hold these moments dear.

Good for you sir.:beerchug:

Bubba

I have voicemail recordings of her when she left voicemail messages for me as a 2 year old that I put on my iPod. Need to record more stuff like that because I won't ever be able to remember them as clearly if I don't keep them somewhere. They are my favorite recordings...

They do grow up fast.

My son 25 years old - about 2-3 hours away in college - working and supporting himself pretty good, no drugs, not a bum, not a liar. He has a girlfriend, no children.

My daughter 24 years old - about and hour away, goes to local college, having some marital problems right now, and has a son (my 3 year old grand son).

I tell them both - I love you all the time (when I can track them down).
Call me once every couple of weeks and let me know you are still kicking, I understand that you have "young people things to do", but I worry about you.
If you need anything let me know, and if you don't need anything you can still let me know (as in "Call me and let me know anything").

Back