Icon tank bag damage anything?

mospeed

Registered
Hey everyone,
I think I want to get me a tank bag. I'm favoring the Icon Primary Tank Bag

http://street-bikes.ridegear.com/cgi-bin....scstore

I like the ability to use it as a back pack also. BUT! does they magnetic straps to hold it to the tank scratch the tank in ANY way? There is no way I'm getting a tank bag if the magnetic can mess the busa up un anyway!

Thanks everyone!
Ed

I have a joe rocket tank bag that is magnetic... the bottom side of the bag is made of a no scratch material but the bad thing is that my bag was on my desk at work and it picked up a staple... well you guessed it... i have a 1/2 inch long scratch on my tank now so you gotta be careful with the magnetic tank bags and check the bottom of them before you lay it on the tank. Other than that i have no marks at all on my tank from the bag.

I have a joe rocket tank bag that is magnetic... the bottom side of the bag is made of a no scratch material but the bad thing is that my bag was on my desk at work and it picked up a staple... well you guessed it... i have a 1/2 inch long scratch on my tank now so you gotta be careful with the magnetic tank bags and check the bottom of them before you lay it on the tank.  Other than that i have no marks at all on my tank from the bag.
Sucks, but interesting. I had never though about the magnetic feature of the bag as a potential cause of a problem. My son works in our garage (not too close) to the bikes. When he grinds metal the dust gets everywhere. Since I'm considering a tank bag that could be a problem. Thanks for the warning post.

I have been using an Urban magnetic bag for a couple of years, never a problem or a scratch. As long as you keep the pads clean, you won't have any problems.

I use the jr manta tank bag and have a habit of slapping bit on the gas pump when im fueling. Got home the other day and noticed that 1 of the magnets picked up some steel wool that one of the attendants must have been cleaning the pumps with. I definitely look each time it goes on or comes off..

Hey everyone,
I think I want to get me a tank bag.  I'm favoring the Icon Primary Tank Bag

http://street-bikes.ridegear.com/cgi-bin....scstore

I like the ability to use it as a back pack also.  BUT! does they magnetic straps to hold it to the tank scratch the tank in ANY way?  There is no way I'm getting a tank bag if the magnetic can mess the busa up un anyway!

Thanks everyone!
Ed
I have the Icon Urban Tank Bag and have used it for a little over a year. I have taken serveral long trips with it and it has not even left a hint of a scratch anywhere on my tank. I also wanted to tell you the the primer pack is very little. It would work good for carrying a Ipod or other electronics but is too small to pack clothes or groceries or whatever into it.

I have the Joe Rocket Manta and I have some scratches from a piece of black metal it picked up....Took me a while to figure out why I kept getting these little scratches...The bag is great just be careful when putting it on and off.

I have the Joe Rocket Manta and I have some scratches from a piece of black metal it picked up....Took me a while to figure out why I kept getting these little scratches...The bag is great just be careful when putting it on and off.
How big is that bag?  I'm looking into getting one and was wondering how much stuff I could fit into it...especially when I ride to work (put my lunch in it inside of some tupperware) and when I ride to school (one or two textbooks).

Thanks

<!--EDIT|BiG-T
Reason for Edit: "spell check"|1146671231 -->

Not going to fit in the Manta...I can get my wallet..MP3 player...some gloves a hat..keys..and that is about it. Mostly for things you dont want in your pockets. Pretty small over all. Good for day rides and zipping around. Other than that you will need something bigger.

I have the Manta tank bag also. Yea, it's that small.. I don't have a good pic of it or I would post one. Slapnutz is right on about storing stuff that you don't want in your pockets, that is about all that will fit. This is about as close of a picture that I have.
biggrin.gif

bag__Medium_.jpg

how much bigger is the Icon Primary tank bag compared to the Joe Rocket Manta? I have seen tha Manta at the bike places and it is pretty small. Can't really get much in it. but I don't want a bag that is so tall it interferes with my riding or viewing of the instrument panel.
wink.gif

we just did tank bags last week on this board.

I have an oxford humpback....its excellent....no problems with the tank and holds lots of stuff. Holds water bottles, a few more tools, gym clothes for working out....
all for 80.00.

such a deal.

I've used the Icon for a little better than a year now. I love it. It's a very soft rubber that goes against the tank. So long as you check it occasionally for grit, I've not had any problems with scratching the tank. Mine stays on it almost all the time. It rarely comes off.

Dan

BigT.......check out the Nelson Rigg(www.nelsonrigg.com) Silver Streak magnetic tank bag(nice looking bag too)........it's a little larger, been researching and it's the best for my purposes, just a suggestion
biggrin.gif

Gotta throw this out here. I have a Full tankslapper kit on my bike and the tank protection part alone is worth the price of the kit. It virtually protects the whole top back and sides of the tank and it is practically invisible and easily removable. My old eclipse tank bag doesn't touch the paint at all. I actually screwed up the material on a couple of the pieces myself and replaced them with some thicker clear Roll vinyl that is used for marine Canvas. Worked equally as well and it is even thicker (more protective??) than the Tankslapper material. If you are running a tankbag at all I would highly recommend it.

I have one on my 06 and noticed a ton of tiny scratches im kinda bent wont use a tank bag again the bikes black so you can wipe it with a cotton towel and it would leave scratches anyhow

Tour Master Tribag tank bag system I've had a couple different ones this is by far the best setup I've ever had no scratches .Easy to deal with and maintain

82_406.jpg

Back