I went for my first group ride yesterday.

Darkflame

Registered
Yesterday at 1:00pm I got off of work and called up my coworkers to see if I could tag along for a ride. They are all harley riders but I just wanted someone to cruise with. Being on his bike non stop he could not hear me calling so I gave up and went for a stroll.

While on the freeway I saw a big group of 25-30 street bikers flying down the freeway.They had 10-12 bikes in the back blocking all the lanes of traffic going about 55 or slower. Could not tell by the distance I was going in the opposite direction. It was a long straightaway and I saw 4 bikes just launch it to hell and all slowed down and right as we crossed opposite directions I got a waves from the 4 bikes and in my rear view mirror I saw them all stick their hands up and make some kind of sign. The rest of the group between the back traffic lockers and front watchers started doing stunts and what not...At first I was thinking what a bunch of bobos for holding up traffic like that but then from what I gathered they were going at 55 so they didn't really "hold traffic". I pulled off the freeway and went to a local gas station to refuel. and while refueling about 10 bikes pulled in. They asked me where I was headed and if I wanted to ride. I told them i'm not a stunter or racer. They said it doesn't matter just cruise and do my thang so they said. I said shoots. Their group was called coalition. We had about 10 bikes yesterday cause the first group left earlier. Wasn't sure if that was them on the freeway but from what they told me as far as the time they left it seemed like it added up.

We went cruising north shore side where I got to test my accelaration on the bike....I chose to stay in the very back of the group and one guy stayed behind me to watch over me. After our first pit stop they kept telling me. "Hey we we're waiting for you to fly by us we want to see what your busa can do" I told him nah i'm not a racer...He said give it a few rides that'll change.

Next we went to this place called snake run. It involved riding down backwards on a road for about 20 yard to get to it as it wasn't accessable on the road we were travelling on. it was lots of turns and leans. The more I rode the more confident I got in leaning. Once we found our way back to the freeway the lead guy pulled us over and said "hey, you wanna try and open up your busa a bit? I'm not talking racing me but just getting a feel of how you can accelerate." I said ok and he instructed 4 guys to take on the onramp and scout ahead and he told me i'll ride up...when I lift both hands in the air, you're clear...just ride it as hard but as comfortable as you are and we'll watch from the front and the back...We wanna see what your busa can do..

So sure enough they sped up we took the on rarmp and they went to a straightaway...no cars in sight and the main guy lifted up both hands and I rolled the throttle and the bike started to accelerate and I was thinking....uh...is this it?....but for some reason when it hit 4-5K rpms it was like the bike changed engines and I felt this thrust and my speedometer just skyrocketed...I hit 140 and blew right past the lead guy...While I was catching up to the 4 guys in the front they all started tapping their helmets so I thought that was some kind of sign of acknoledgement that I did good or something...I started to deccelerate slowly then all of a sudden to my right is a cop car....I look at him and he looks at me.....then like an idiot admitting guilt I look down at my speedometer and it's reading 110mph. The group in the front all started slowing down and started to converge in two lanes when the cop speeds right past me (i'm still going about 85 now) and he speeds up to the front watchers...pulls up into the lane next to theirs and takes his hand out and starts tapping his roof. and the front bikes pulled out peace signs and thumbs up and the rear guys sped up and cought up with me and we all pulled over at the next stop and everyone was laughing. They were impressed at how fast the busa changed acceleration. They asked me if I knew how to shift without popping the clutch to hard cause they cuoldn't hear a kill in rpms and I said no I just rolled it and it did that itself. hahaha

At the pit stop is where I said ok we need to get these signals down cause I have no idea what you guys are trying to say when you're looking at me with all these hand gestures..

Hahaha so now I know that sometimes you just gotta open up the busa....It probably pleased the bike more then it pleased me but it was a nice feeling to let the rabid dog out of the cage as it was my first time.

And when you're going to ride with a group...take a moment to learn the gestures first...After that stop I realised I was told to pass them and move up in the line. I was told that 1 guy was going to hold traffic at a stop sign to keep the group hole at the intersection and that one guy was going to change lanes and hold that lane to let the group change ahead....and i'm here like ok!..no problem (but not following what was asked of me) but thankfully they were really cool about it and said I was welcomed anytime I wanna ride.

Sounds like you had a great time, and got very lucky with the cop! Keep it up. Atleast you found a group that so far seems pretty concerned with their own safety, thats definately a bonus.

That's cool, sounds like you had a ball. Once you really get comfy with the Busa, it's on Bro. Ride Safe.

i think tapping the helment is the universal way to say cop.

i think tapping the helment is the universal way to say cop.
Is it? I wish I had known that yesterday. I passed six or seven bikes riding the opposite direction and wanted to tell them about the speed trap they were heading into.....
I hope they got my lights and sirens sign language.

Sounds like you had fun

But if I'm in my car and those guys are trying to hold me up at 55. Forget about it, I'm going 75-80 if I have to lane share in my car.

Trying to control the situation is a good thing, but you should not hold up other motorists while doing it. There are plenty of out of the way places to do that stuff and not block other motorists.

Well, I guess your in Hawaii, so they may not be any out of the way places....
Hawaii might be the only place where you can't get away.

sound fun and yes the helmet tap is for cop ahead. Glad it all worked out.

Tapping the helmet to signal a cop ahead is new to me... tapping the helmet with the group I ride with means I've got the lead. If we see a cop, we signal slow down by lowering left arm and signal slow down. I guess we should review the signals so as not to confuse others.
The ride sounds great and you were lucky to run into a group of riders concerned about safety. I ride with a mixed group of riders and it is great to get out and cruise and play. Have fun and beware the Busa will take you on one heck of ride if you let her.:D

I didn't know about the helmet tapping thing either. I've always used the universal "slow-down" motion, pumping the left hand downward a few times with the palm to the ground. I'll have to keep an eye out for it now.

Since i can remember riding "tapping your helmet" meant cop ahead. Sounds like you had a great time.
biggrin.gif

Sounds like a damn good time. Wish I could have fun like that, but I'm still in IL waiting for the snow and cold to leave me alone.

Helmet tapping has always meant cop to me, signalling slow down means just that. Slow down. We all have seen people do stupid crap below the speed limit

smile.gif
Learnt something new... Anyway, not much use in INDIA though
tounge.gif
There aint too many riding groups here!

Sounds like a damn good time.  Wish I could have fun like that, but I'm still in IL waiting for the snow and cold to leave me alone.
hey man suppose to be 50 this weekend. If my bike werent in pieces i'd ride but oh well just waiting on some parts

oh yeah and usually putting your had towards the ground means theres something there
blush.gif
ie rodent, pot hole, deer guts

I didn't know about the helmet tapping thing either.  I've always used the universal "slow-down" motion, pumping the left hand downward a few times with the palm to the ground.  I'll have to keep an eye out for it now.
Both of those signals are pretty universal. Tapping the head almost always means cop, and advises that you slow down and refrain from any stunting or otherwise illegal riding. However, the slow down signal means slow down but it could be used for numerous reasons....

Slow down, known speed trap ahead
Slow down, school zone
Slow down, there is an accident ahead
Slow down, there is debris in the road
Slow down, sharp turns coming up
Slow down, idot driver not paying attention
Slow down, dangerous intersection
Slow down, & wait for others
ETC.

Sounds like a ball man.

It's always fun to find new people to ride with...and when you hook up with a group of bikes....those nights are always off the hook.

Back