I wasn't a fan of Marquez, until...

MC MUSTANG

Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
Well, for those who have seen the video, Marc Marquez was very cool after the race yesterday.

The story started on Friday after FP2. I had bumped into Marc, Alex and their dad in the paddock in between FPs; Marc was being mobbed. As I walked by, I just tipped my hat and said great riding Marc- he waved, smiled and turned back to the people he was signing.

Sat after qualifying, I was walking around and taking pictures, until my phone died. Most people had already left. I saw Marquez's team all standing around outside their garage so I walked up. I said hello and one of his mechanics asked if my shirt was "real". I realized he was referring to my Retired, United States Marine Corps shirt... He recognized the emblem. I told him that of course it was real. Marc walked up. Everyone was talking, laughing... I spent about an hour with them. As they left, Marc signed my hat; I said thank you, I appreciate it. He looked at me and said no, thank you. I appreciate you... He pointed to the emblem on my shirt. He said, I appreciate you- for this. They all waved and walked off. I was blown away.

Sunday, I brought one of my Marine shirts to give him, if I got the chance. After the warm up, I ran into the mechanic who had asked me if my shirt was real. I took out my (charged) phone and showed him some pictures from my time in the Corps, including one from my retirement. The mechanic asked if I was a Colonel, I said no, only a Major. He laughed and said, Major, whoa... I told him I had some thing for Marc. After the race, things were pretty crazy, especially after all that had happened with Marquez, Rossi, Dovisioso and Lorenzo... Everyone was being interviewed and mobbed... So, while all that was going on, I went trackside and was walking around the garages as they we packing up. I got some pretty cool pics and I saw the Mechanic again. Only this time, he came up, shook my hand and introduced me to one of his team mates. He introduced me as Major. We talked about ISIS, we talked about Yemen, we talked about religious conflict... None of which were things that I expected to be discussing at a race track with mechanics for one of the best riders on the planet.

I walked away so they could get back to work. The Mechanic grabbed and told me that he had let Marc know I had something for him. He said that Marc would be around late if I wanted to wait. So I did, for about two hours - walking around and chatting with different people. He came out of his trailer and he was in a very good mood, until he got mobbed by security and service workers from the track. It was obvious that he was unhappy about it, so I made my way around the side of the crowd and just waved at him.

He said hello while he was signing stuff for the workers - I told him that he may not remember me... He put his hand up and said of course I remember you, Major. I didn't know what to say; I was floored. I handed him a Marine Corps shirt and told him that he could use it as a blanket or something. He laughed and asked if I wanted a poster or something. I told him that I didn't want to bother him, maybe I could catch him on the way back out... About 5 mins later, his trainer came out looking for me. He said hello Major, this is from Marc. He handed me a Team Repsol Honda shirt, smiled and walked off.

About 10 mins later Marc was leaving and stopped to shake my hand. I asked if he could do me a favor, if he could say hello to a friend's daughter for me. It would mean the world to her... No problem Major, what is her name? He had a little trouble with Abner, so in the video he only says Callie... After the video, he shook my hand and said- "Thank you for your service, Major"... Thank you. Then he left. I was absolutely floored. A long story, slightly less long: I was in Qatar to see the race and the riders... He took the time on two different days to make me feel appreciated- so yeah, I am a fan! MCM

You da man Shawn! No more of this "Go Vale" Crap from here on out!

That is so cool, Shawn! Very neat to get to "see" that side of him! An experience to remember!

It's true...you've never met a stranger. Good story to add to your collection of many!

That's awesome!! He has definitely moved up my list since last year, and this brings him up even more.. Guess I'll have to be a closet Marquez fan now :)

I may have to root for him now - after Rossi of course. The kid has class...

Callie is estatic; but it will have to be another decade before I'd let him in my house :)

Might as well post up Subject Video to keep the thread intact :)

Last edited by a moderator:
And her reaction:

11081090_415375115300088_7124991562218361691_n.jpg

fantastic story! two super guys that ended up making our little sister's day :beerchug:

Nice job, Marquez is very mature for his age and seems like a really decent guy considering he is top dog.

Hey Shawn, I like the way you spell your name ( same spelling as my middle name)

BB

I dont think Alvaro Bautista would be happy with Marc, having to finish in the pits barely a couple of laps in after having a caliper ripped off
by MM bargeing his way past him :angry:

But to meet and greet MM thats pretty cool :thumbsup:

Just posted this to Marquez's FB page..:
-------------

Marc, the race was awesome, but what you and your team did AFTER the race was even better...you took the time before you left to talk to my friend Major Shawn Hughes, USMC (Retired), and made a shout-out video to a his friend's (My) Daughter, Callie. You made her day, and it says a LOT about what kind of young man you are, away from racing and the spotlight. If I could post a pic of her response, I would. Best wishes for the rest of the season! Yes, the world is VERY SMALL

Just posted this to Marquez's FB page..:
-------------

Marc, the race was awesome, but what you and your team did AFTER the race was even better...you took the time before you left to talk to my friend Major Shawn Hughes, USMC (Retired), and made a shout-out video to a his friend's (My) Daughter, Callie. You made her day, and it says a LOT about what kind of young man you are, away from racing and the spotlight. If I could post a pic of her response, I would. Best wishes for the rest of the season! Yes, the world is VERY SMALL

Perfect! :thumbsup:

That is cool stuff right there Shawn, and once again thinking of someone else when it could have been all about you! Very cool for sharing that with Callie / Keith!

Very nice story all the way round...

Valentino had a great race and Ducati seems to finally have a bike with which they can win, but if I were Yam and Duc I wouldn't be sleeping well coming up to COTA. Marc set a new top speed record @ 217.66 mph. That rounds to an even 218 mph and means the Ducs won't have any outright speed advantage over the Honders :) By my back of the napkin calculations Marc could have won by 2 plus seconds if he hadn't put himself in such a hole a the start of the race. My prediction - Yamaha and Ducati are going to have a long year if Marc stays on the bike and healthly!

COTA is a track that favors the fast bike, not the turning bike. If Ducati has that kind of closing speed on the Yamaha, I really wonder what it will look like when Desmo Dovi (I like it) lines up against Marquez's bike down that huge back straight....

COTA is a track that favors the fast bike, not the turning bike. If Ducati has that kind of closing speed on the Yamaha, I really wonder what it will look like when Desmo Dovi (I like it) lines up against Marquez's bike down that huge back straight....

I'll be there... So I'll let you know how it goes from turn 1 on the hill. :)

Back