I Was Reaaaalllllyy Stupid

No kidding.

This will be my first post. Used to lurk here long ago but guess it's been so long that my account no longer exists.

Anywho, apparently I ran my bike (02 Busa) yesterday with almost no oil. It's been sitting about a month and was running fine then and there was no oil spots/pools under it in the garage to indicate it was leaking. It didn't have a lot of miles on it since it's last oil change so the level should have been fine but I was ignorant of some of the signs the bike was giving me to let me know it was low on oil and I jacked it up.

The most obvious sign I finally did get was the oil light came on and the bike started knocking. I was a mile from the house and road it the last bit home. Needless to say, the bike was pretty damn hot though it was in the normal range on the temp gauge while riding.

I added oil this morning; it took 3 quarts [insert shame face here]. I started it up and it gave a couple significant knocks right away but immediately sounded near normal. I let it idle a couple minutes and took in on about a 3 mile ride. After about a mile it started knocking mildly but consistently. Around the 1.5 mile mark it got a bit louder and I turned around towards the house. By the time I got home, the knocking was consistent and moderately loud. At idle, it's only a little noticeable but *any* throttle and it's significant.

My questions are:
Being motor ignorant, what the hell did I do to my engine? Quick Google searches sound like I probably ruined the engine but being motor ignorant, I'd like to know what I probably did to the engine specifically (I understand basic motor concepts like pistons, seals/rings, oil for lubrication, air/fuel mixture for combustion/power, etc.) and what the fix is, if any.

Being that the bike is 14 years old, if the engine is broke, is it worth getting a new engine or should I just use that money for a new bike? My concerns are the risks associated with buying a used engine, the costs of a brand new engine (if they're even available), the cost to have a new engine put in and the relatively low value of the bike once all is said in done (bike has blemishes on the plastic in a number of places, mirrors need replacing, and a few other minor issues that would keep it from selling for much more than $4K with a good engine). I'm weighing that against not having to pay $16K for a new bike Cost+TTL.

Lastly, if you were to buy a new bike, would you go for a new '14,'15, or '16 and why (I'm just starting to research any changes to each model year)? How much off do you think a '14 or '15 should be compared to a new '16?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should have probably drained remaining oil and changed filter instead of just toping it off. Then started it and drop the oil again. Checking for metal each time.

As far as new bikes go nothing has changed sence 08 except in 13 they added abs and brembo calipers.

The only real concern between the model years you mentioned is whether or not a dealer kept up showroom/idle maintenance. If they didn't, you could be buying a mild-moderate headache.

All things equal, buy your favorite color. Though personally, the last color I gave a flip about was the '13 LTE; so if you're in that boat, buy whatever gives you the best deal and spend the rest on getting it painted.

Should have probably drained remaining oil and changed filter instead of just toping it off. Then started it and drop the oil again. Checking for metal each time.

As far as new bikes go nothing has changed sence 08 except in 13 they added abs and brembo calipers.
Yeah. I don't do my own vehicle stuff so that kind of troubleshooting just doesn't enter my mind. Sadly.

If you check oil level every ride it's hard for a accident like this to happen . It is just 30 seconds to look at it . I would part it out . FYI motor is still worth something in the drag race community.
Not a lot but 400 to 600. Bucks . If you take it apart for parting out a little more .

I bet someone would buy it, as is, for a couple/few grand. Some guys that could swap the internals and sell it, or use it as a perfect racebike platform (they're gonna swap the internals anyway). I think you'd lose too much swapping a good motor in, especially if you won't be doing it yourself. Use the cash toward a newer one. Like others have said, just pick the color you like because they're largely the same after 08, with the exception of ABS in 2013. All will run great. I have an 09 that has had absolutely no problems. Just as reliable as a 2016.

So I had some sort of non-oil leak down near the shifter that I got serviced last year. Don't recall what the problem was. Just paid to have it fixed.

I'm now seeing what I believe is some gasket remnants down by the "stator cover"(? - round thing sticking out of the lower side fairing by the shifter) and some oil residue on the fairing.

I did have a bit of oil on the garage floor about the size of 2 quarters but nothing significant.

I'm wondering if during that previous leak repair that something was removed and replaced without replacing the gasket and when I road the bike, pressure caused oil to leak but didn't leak while sitting in the garage.

This is my best guess because in the 14 years I've owned it, it never burned oil. I was always good between oil changes servicing. I never did it myself.

I'm guessing you blew the oil out. that's when the light came on. You are lucky to lose that much oil and not go down

y

It could be service-related but I'd never be able to prove it.

I've had the bike 14 years and paid $14K for it (almost entirely stock). Really wish it was still around but to ride a Busa for $1K/year? I feel I've gotten my money out of it.

Found a '13 with really low miles for $9500 that I'm going to buy this weekend and I'll move on.

I'll be watching the oil like a hawk for now on.

Thanks for the input all.

Cool deal your getting another ride . $9500 is a bit high since there are some dealers moving 15/16's for 12,500 out the door . Where are you at in the US ?

Back