I want to share something that my son did

MC MUSTANG

Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
Okay,
I have been wearing a POW/MIA bracelet on my left arm since 1994.  Yesterday, I took it off for the first time in over 12 years.  Here's why:

My 4 year old son was diagnosed with diabetes at 15 months old.  He was issued a medical id bracelet which he cannot remove.  After coming back from his doctor's appointment yesterday, he asked me if my bracelet was for a medical problem as well.  I told him that no, it wasn't for a medical problem, I wore it because someone was lost and hadn't found the way home yet.

Now my son is a huge fan of the Disney movie "Lilo and Stitch".  In that movie, the word "Ohana" is explained to mean family, and that no one in the family is left behind or forgotten.

So my son asks me if he can wear my bracelet.  I tell him no, because it is very special and daddy never takes it off.  Christopher tells me that he knows it is special, which is why he wants to wear it.

I explain to him that he can't wear it, because he doesn't understand what it means.

Here is what he said:
Daddy - I have to wear it.  That way, I will remember him until he comes home.  I have to remember him because no one gets left behind.

My wife came in while I was putting the bracelet on my son.  She asked me two questions:
1.  Why was Christopher wearing my bracelet
2.  Why was I crying.

Just wanted to share.  If you ask my son what the bracelet is for, he will tell you it is for Sash Sargit (He can't say Staff Sergeant) Gage.  If you ask him why he is wearing it, he says, because no one gets left behind.

I guess they're right.  Kids do say the darnedest things.

Semper Fidelis,
Shawn

<!--EDIT|MC MUSTANG
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149833706 -->

Kids understand more than we want them too, at times. It's a shame that most of us forget to look at the positive points, instead of the negative.

Kids understand "Hope".

Godspeed Sgt Gage.

Thanks for sharing that MC.

If there is ANYONE worthy to carry on the memory of SSgt. Gage for you, it would be your son. And it seems he is willing to do it. He more than likely can sense how important it is to you, and wants to do his part. He'll do a good job.

You are relieved of duty, sir. At ease.

2. Why was I crying.[/QUOTE]
Real men "DO" cry.
I can totally relate to you on the subject of how sometimes your kids can just blow you away with how they think or what they say.
And GOD bless and take care of anyone who is still missing......

Your a Good Man Shawn...
And your are doing a great job in raising your Son...
Sometimes a Childs innocents can really open our eyes...
As we get older, and the battle scars build up, we lose sight of the most important things in life, and we tend to complicate it beyond any rational reason...
And then a Child puts us in our place...

David

<!--EDIT|Devious
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149851280 -->

Outstanding story Shawn, thanks for telling it to us. Obviously you're doing a good job with your son, passing on the important things. Tell him I'm proud of him for thinking of the missing too. Good luck with the JD.

Dan

Yeah thanks Shawn... now my eye's leaking!
mad.gif

Kudo's to your boy... and to his parents also~ That statement is a direct reflection of what he has learned from the two of you~
wink.gif

Shawn, thank you for sharing... My eye's too are now leaking. Really tugs at the heart strings. Christopher is wise beyond his years and my prayers go out to you and your family.
smile.gif
You have instilled great values in your son and you should be very proud.

Shawn,
That is an incredible story. "From the mouths of babes". If politicians had the common sense, compassion and morality that your 4 year old son has, there would never be anyone left behind. God bless, my brother in service, as well as to the rest of my brothers and sisters that don the uniform to protect our country.

Don
NCC(SS)
USN

Wow! I concur w/ all of the sentiments expressed. I do not have any kids so I can only read, imagine, and live through those that do.

Thank you all for the words. Sometimes I am amazed withthe clarity of vision that children have. Of course, that is, in between all the fighting, farting, throwing, spitting, etc. it is kind of funny, some of you guys met Christopher at the bash, and he really is a ball of fire...

It is amazing how a child can have a runny nose hit their sister in the head with a newspaper and then drop a giant profound thought on you that brings you to your knees. You have obviously done an excellent job raising your children. Be proud. very very proud.

Awesome Shawn Im 36 and a Health Nut and ive also had Diabetes since 11 yrs old so tell that boy there is nothing he cant do Im a Fireman/EMT,Scuba Diver,Sky Dived,Black Belt In Kenpo and TaeKwonDo,Ive raced Mustang for years and Bikes and now im into the Busa Big Time so tell him to chase his Dreams and if U have any questions call me I can def help u with the Diabetes call 708-670-1379

Wow Shawn...that brings me to tears
sad.gif

It's so amazing what kids do catch on to, the things that they do understand when we think there's just no way they could...that's one special moment of so many with your son...something you'll always cherish and reflect upon...those are the BEST memories with our kids...
wink.gif

How is your son with his diabetes? So sad to know that he's been diagnosed at such a young age.
sad.gif
He sounds like a tough little guy though
smile.gif

sad.gif

Yeah Shawn. with my three boys I know what you mean.. the comprehension and purity of heart they posses is just mind blowing at times.

I often look at my boys, even my eight year old and think to myself the only difference between me and them is 30+ years of life experience. they are not kids. they are just people that don’t have the experience I have that’s all.

Anyway, it makes sense to me. And most of the time I don’t treat them like "kids" I treat them like my sons, my friends and I show them respect, I even often call them sir when they ask me questions
biggrin.gif

my sons rock and my life has been so blessed with them in it....

Thanks for sharing Shawn..

Semper Fi Shawn..

Back