I uploaded a long video to metcafe

MC MUSTANG

Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
Hokay -
After much fiddling, I was able to upload the 61.6 meg (24+) video of my first run on the Dragon. The video is up and part way back, until I got stuck behind a car --- had to shut the video off.
The pace on my first run was very slow, at points it felt like I was out walking next to the bike, the second run, back down was a little better. You'll notice that I only shifted out of second a couple of times (I remember that my max speed on either run was about 55).

Anyway, if you have some time to kill, hop on board with me and Bessie and ride the Dragon:

Riding the Dragon Video

Let me know what you all think.

Also, special thanks go out to Busa Whipped; he let me borrow his ZG clear touring windscreen to shoot some video through, when I told him how well it went he told me to keep it. Dennis - you da' man!
thumbs-up.gif

Thanks,
Shawn

Shawn, I checked it out and it looked awesome.
Good Job.
thumbs-up.gif

<!--EDIT|PDBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147453398 -->

Thanks for the video. I thought it would be much faster (the Dragon). I tried to plan a trip, but many of the hotels were booked. I need to make more advance plans. The road is sweet, but I may not get out of 1st gear!
Thanks again.

Thanks for the video.  I thought it would be much faster (the Dragon).  I tried to plan a trip, but many of the hotels were booked.  I need to make more advance plans.  The road is sweet, but I may not get out of 1st gear!
Thanks again.
It probably would have been faster if I had more riding experieince up there. Most of my riding for the last two and a half years has been straight and flat; I wanted to take it slow and easy.

Shawn - whaddya use to capture the video/encode it? I've got my run in AVI - it's about 12GB!! Waaaaay too large to post.

I've been looking for a proggie to compress it down to: 1) DVD 2) Web

looks like fun, i will make it there one day and ride...

Shawn - whaddya use to capture the video/encode it?  I've got my run in AVI - it's about 12GB!!  Waaaaay too large to post.

I've been looking for a proggie to compress it down to:  1) DVD  2) Web
What program do you use to capture the video to the PC?
Omar and Kevin,
The video was on a mini DV, and the capture device was a Plextor USB Convertx
Like the one here
At first I tried to use the Muvee maker software that came with my HP, but I screwed something up, so not only was the AVI like 15 Gig, but there was no sound. I ended up using WinDVD creator 2 (it came with the convertex) - very easy and user friendly, gives the option of saving in different formats for DvD, VCD, and media player. Very easy to and music and voice over as well as titles and transition.

Omar, if your run is in AVI, you may not be able to directly convert it, you might have to recapture it from the tape/DV.

I have two other tapes that I plan to convert and post - metacafe has a 100 meg limit, but I know there is a better way to do the video...

Hope this helps...

Hey,
I have responses to my video - I guess they don't like it. Oh well. I like it!

You obviously dont ride a motorcycle. Looks like a great ride to me but you wouldnt know anything about that since your "just driving" all the time...
by ýsloto200 , 12th May
ý
woo
soo stupid , what the hell , Nonsences . . . Just driving . . . worst clip i have ever seen . .
by ýRaPpEr , 12th May
ý

Good choice of music. Nice smooth ride. Remember, smooth = fast (eventually).

The fastest riders at the gap rarely use their brakes. The goal is to be as smooth as possible. Don't worry about shifting gears, 2nd is fine. As long as the revs are over 5k or so, stable power is everywhere.

Nice vid, don't worry about the critics.

Chris

Hey,
I have responses to my video - I guess they don't like it.  Oh well.  I like it!

You obviously dont ride a motorcycle. Looks like a great ride to me but you wouldnt know anything about that since your "just driving" all the time...
by ýsloto200 , 12th May
ý
woo
soo stupid , what the hell , Nonsences . . . Just driving . . . worst clip i have ever seen . .
by ýRaPpEr  , 12th May
ý
that second comment is me... i was irritated after reading that first guys comment about how it was the worst vid he/she had seen...

I kinda understand why nobody on Metacafe liked it.  It is rather tame.  Not bashin', but it was a tad slow.  I mean, you didn't even speed up the hill away from the crot!  It's requisite that you goose it up the hill!  
biggrin.gif
But seriously, does look like you got some good lean in some of the corners.

I guess the tail just seems that much faster, in person, with a screaming 2-cylinder motor that requires no finesse with the right hand...  
laugh.gif
Especially so when you bang off the rev limiter in 3rd gear up that short sweeper section on the way back...And the rev limiters at about 75...
jump9.gif

<!--EDIT|TheAtomicAss
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147509552 -->

Not bad. Should have named topic Ride the Dragon, not run the Dragon. And in your defense it did not say race the Dragon people. I wanted to see the Dragon and now I have thank you.

How did you control yourself after a corner and not crank the throttle? Your self control is amazing. Are you a Jedi?

I kinda understand why nobody on Metacafe liked it.  It is rather tame.  Not bashin', but it was a tad slow.  I mean, you didn't even speed up the hill away from the crot!  It's requisite that you goose it up the hill!  
biggrin.gif
 But seriously, does look like you got some good lean in some of the corners.

I guess the tail just seems that much faster, in person, with a screaming 2-cylinder motor that requires no finesse with the right hand...  
laugh.gif
 Especially so when you bang off the rev limiter in 3rd gear up that short sweeper section on the way back...And the rev limiters at about 75...  
jump9.gif
Danny,
I was laughing at the comments, because I could care less about what people think about the video; I didn't publish it for anyone but the people here and I only put it there cause I couldn't get it anywhere else. The quality of video isn't great, and I only put music to it so that it was a little closer to what I experieinced when I was listening to music throughout the ride.

The only comments that concern me are ones from this board, cause I put the thing up there for us.
But I agree, I don't thin the video does the Dragon justice.... sure felt a lot more fast and hazardous while there...

How did you control yourself after a corner and not crank the throttle? Your self control is amazing. Are you a Jedi?

Not sure, I smell sarcasm
smile.gif
thumbs-up.gif
I took it easy because that was my first time - and there had already been a couple of accidents with our people when we did that.  I was out with some great people (Dakkin2 and Bronc3) wholet me ride my own pace and comfort.... it was awesome.  But if you are asking what kept me from trying to punch out of each corner?  It had a lot to do with not know what was around the next corner...

<!--EDIT|MC MUSTANG
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147535146 -->

I checked out your video and it is a good one. Like most things, it all gets better with time, that includes riding. I suppose some others on that other site would have rather seen you go screaming into the corners @ 100 until the video came to an end with you crashing blood and plasic flying everywhere. I've been racing/riding most of my time here on this spinning globe(racing was a younger day). I've crash and gotten some ER time and lost some friends for going over the edge like others on this site have I'm sure. I think you did a great job knowing your ability and riding with in it. Pushing hard on a road you don't know with no twisties for 2 1/2 yrs. would/could have been a great time or a life changing disaster. I commend you for riding within your limits, getting too cocky can get you killed. Riding M/Cs should be fun, if your having fun who cares what the others think. I hope we can get together @ the next bash. I'll ride the Dragon with you @ any speed your comfortable with and I bet everyone on this site that I met would too. Good job.

<!--EDIT|fasttoys1
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147657357 -->

I checked out your video and it is a good one. Like most things, it all gets better with time, that includes riding. I suppose some others on that other site would have rather seen you go screaming into the corners @ 100 until the video came to an end with you crashing blood and plasic flying everywhere. I've been racing/riding most of my time here on this spinning globe(racing was a younger day). I've crash and gotten some ER time and lost some friends for going over the edge like others on this site have I'm sure. I think you did a great job knowing your ability and riding with in it. Pushing hard on a road you don't know with no twisties for 2 1/2 yrs.  would/could have been a great time or a life changing disaster. I commend you for riding within your limits, getting too cocky can get you killed. Riding M/Cs should be fun, if your having fun who cares what the others think. I hope we can get together @ the next bash. I'll ride the Dragon with you @ any speed your comfortable with and I bet everyone on this site that I met would too. Good job.
+2

Back