I think transmissions hate me.

mabupa

Donating Member
Registered
I’m sure most of you have seen my mustang transmission issues thread and know that parts have started trickling in to get that repaired, but that was a big hit, financially. That being said, my busa had been sitting for a couple of months, while I cheated on her with the concours14. This past Saturday and Sunday I took the busa to work and was reminded several times about the 6th gear issue I’ve always had with it. Yesterday, I decided to take it out on an extended ride and it was very disappointing. I left the house at 6am and took all the back roads. I was going down a two lane “highway” following a semi truck and found a chance to pass. I went down to 5th gear and opened it up. Once I was about parallel with the cab of the semi truck doing about 65MPH, I shifted to 6th, but when I let the clutch out and gave it gas, the transmission fell into the false neutral and simply redlined as I lost speed and the transmission rattled like crazy. There was another vehicle coming the other way, so after a split second my brain actually processed what was going on and I let off the gas and the bike finally found 6th gear with a nasty “clunk” and took off like a rocket and I was able to complete the pass. To say I was furious, would be an understatement! I made it a point the rest of the day to do clutchless shifts into 6th, but later in the day had the bike fall into false neutral between fourth and fifth too. I finished my day trying to remember to do clutchless shift on 4th to 5th and 5th to 6th, but even then, I had it fall back to 4th, while trying to do clutchless shift to 5th. I love the busa, but this issue really makes me want to put the thing back to stock and sell It. I’m worried that something will break on one of those false neutral “episodes”. After yesterday, I feel like draining the oil to see if I find something in it, because that sure was a nasty “clunk”. Worst part is that, even thought undercutting and new forks is cheap compared to my mustang transmission, the labor cost for the busa transmission replacement would be very expensive. im not sure what I should do. Maybe is time to start looking for a used trans to send out for under cutting and put it aside for when something let’s go on mine. :sad: !!!
@Boosted Cycle Perf how much does this kind of job cost and what all needs to come apart to get a new transmission installed on a 2009 model?

I hate to hear that but I think you may have learned another valuable lesson, when passing like that I wouldn’t shift until i have completed the pass, at 65 mph in 6th there’s plenty of rpm in reserve and usually better to be in the upper end of the power band.

Again man I hope you can get both the mustang and Busa sorted out, stuff never happens at a time that’s is convenient.

Last edited:
I’m sure most of you have seen my mustang transmission issues thread and know that parts have started trickling in to get that repaired, but that was a big hit, financially. That being said, my busa had been sitting for a couple of months, while I cheated on her with the concours14. This past Saturday and Sunday I took the busa to work and was reminded several times about the 6th gear issue I’ve always had with it. Yesterday, I decided to take it out on an extended ride and it was very disappointing. I left the house at 6am and took all the back roads. I was going down a two lane “highway” following a semi truck and found a chance to pass. I went down to 5th gear and opened it up. Once I was about parallel with the cab of the semi truck doing about 65MPH, I shifted to 6th, but when I let the clutch out and gave it gas, the transmission fell into the false neutral and simply redlined as I lost speed and the transmission rattled like crazy. There was another vehicle coming the other way, so after a split second my brain actually processed what was going on and I let off the gas and the bike finally found 6th gear with a nasty “clunk” and took off like a rocket and I was able to complete the pass. To say I was furious, would be an understatement! I made it a point the rest of the day to do clutchless shifts into 6th, but later in the day had the bike fall into false neutral between fourth and fifth too. I finished my day trying to remember to do clutchless shift on 4th to 5th and 5th to 6th, but even then, I had it fall back to 4th, while trying to do clutchless shift to 5th. I love the busa, but this issue really makes me want to put the thing back to stock and sell It. I’m worried that something will break on one of those false neutral “episodes”. After yesterday, I feel like draining the oil to see if I find something in it, because that sure was a nasty “clunk”. Worst part is that, even thought undercutting and new forks is cheap compared to my mustang transmission, the labor cost for the busa transmission replacement would be very expensive. im not sure what I should do. Maybe is time to start looking for a used trans to send out for under cutting and put it aside for when something let’s go on mine. :sad: !!!
@Boosted Cycle Perf how much does this kind of job cost and what all needs to come apart to get a new transmission installed on a 2009 model?

I dunno, but you’re asking the wrong guy. Remember I’m the guy that pulls junk ford engines and transmissions out of certain chassis to replace them with superior GM products...:lol:

I dunno, but you’re asking the wrong guy. Remember I’m the guy that pulls junk ford engines and transmissions out of certain chassis to replace them with superior GM products...:lol:

View attachment 1607592
I think I got the mustang covered, as that’s a fairly straight forward job to drop the transmission, but I spent some time looking at videos and looks like the only thing that can be changed on a busa without splitting the cases are the shift forks or dogs, whatever they are called. And my mustang has a “little” less aftermarket parts than yours and I can put a normal good on in that doesn’t have a hole in the middle. Lol

I hate to hear that but I think you may have learned another valuable lesson, when passing like that I wouldn’t shift until i have completed the pass, at 65 mph in 6th there’s plenty of rpm in reserve and usually better to be in the upper end of the power band.

Again man I hope you can get both the mustang and Busa sorted out, stuff never happens at a time that’s is convenient.
I’m a fairly laidback rider, so normally don’t even get the RPMs up there and can’t even tell you when was last time my bike hit triple digits. In other words, I ride like and old lady. :laugh:

I’m a fairly laidback rider, so normally don’t even get the RPMs up there and can’t even tell you when was last time my bike hit triple digits. In other words, I ride like and old lady. :laugh:
I have a tendency to hit the higher speeds about everyone im out, that being said it's rare for me to use 5th much less 6th unless I'm on a really long trip.

I have a tendency to hit the higher speeds about everyone im out, that being said it's rare for me to use 5th much less 6th unless I'm on a really long trip.
I don’t like how buzzy the bike feels on higher RPMs, so I like how quiet it cruises in a higher gear at lower RPMs thanks to @c10 generosity providing me with a front sprocket and some experience he had experimenting with gearing changes on the busa.

@c10 thanks for the pics Bryan! Makes perfect sense why sixth gear doesn’t want to go in at times. Basically, smaller spaces for the dogs to fall into, due to having 5.
Sooner than later I would like to do something about this as it really takes enjoyment away from riding the bike.

@c10 thanks for the pics Bryan! Makes perfect sense why sixth gear doesn’t want to go in at times. Basically, smaller spaces for the dogs to fall into, due to having 5.
Sooner than later I would like to do something about this as it really takes enjoyment away from riding the bike.

Hmm, I don’t have that issue with my Gen1. :D

Video is uploading Miguel . Billy was very kind to step out of the shop for a discussion with me today .
I should of recorded it all . Lots of information to remember from him . Wish I could remember but I think he said a Gen 1 input shaft can be mixed with a Gen 2 , but 4th gear requires machining due to gear tooth depth.

On the back roads I typically ride reaching 6th is rare unless I’m in economy gas saving mode lol

I ride in 6th all the time and rarely have any problems.

True story I was traveling back to N.C. from Illinois back when I was in college my 1983 accord lost 4th and 5th gear coming through West Virginia on I77. Anyone who could help was in N.C. In Charlotte a few hours away. My dad could tow it but he’s was prob 10 hours away so I could wait or just keep driving to get closer which is what I did. I’d scream rpm-wise up the mountain hitting about 40-45 mph then push in clutch coming down and coast by most cars that past me and repeat the process until I hit flat land. Then I drove in the slow lane or shoulder and made to mount airy where a buddy picked me up at a dealership. Went home and can’t back with the tow truck to haul it home to fix the trans....

Back