I think my HID saved my bacon tonight.

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
Cody and I rode Sally to our Boy Scout meeting tonight. He is 12 and will be 13 this coming summer. One of the boys that I have grown particularly fond of in our group has a father that rides and was in a bad accident last year. We were talking before we left, you can imagine the group of teen and pre-teen boys around the busa before we left. Anyway, I was thinking on the way home that Cody will most likely want a motorcycle in a year or two, legal for permit at age 14 in Oklahoma. So I was thinking, here I have this awesome opportunity to lead by example and show self control and a level head. First, I have my son on the bike. Second, the roads are deserted where we live and I normally ride quite spirited in this section of road. Third, I can show him that you can with sanity and have fun. I have never scared him or tried to scare him on the bike. I could not live with myself if I caused him harm while on my bike because I was being stupid.
Anyway...............we are riding along at just above the speed limit, 45 to 50, and I see this flicker on the left side of the road. I let off the throttle and covered the front brake, maybe by instinct, training, whatever and sure enough, a fork horned buck runs right out in front of me. I am grabbing a whole handful of front brake. I feel the front wheel dive and begin to wobble(just before lockup) and I applied the rear brake as I ease off the front. It happened like it was in slow motion. We came to stop in the middle of the road literally 15 ft from the deer. I was so proud of Cody, he initially hit me in the back and then braced himself on the tank, just like I taught him! The deer turned around and went back into the woods the same way he came.
I am thankful for Goodluck, he gave me the HID setup and would I have seen the flicker in the eyes of deer with a standard head lamp, maybe, not sure. Anyway, if you dont have HID, get it, and I promise you I will not own another bike without it.
There was only a couple of people who knew I was riding, my wife and the group at Church where the Boy Scout meeting was, and Scar. You sent me a PM and told me to be aware and to be safe. Thank you Sir.
Karma is a good thing. Tonight could have had a completely different ending. Thank you for reading my friends, ride safe and stay alert.

Last edited:
+1 on the hids. that is the one mod i cant figure out how i lived without on my other bikes

dang James, you gave me the willies..... now steve will tell you , nothing good can come from riding at night :laugh: glad you were on your game :)

WOW, James. Very glad you and Cody are okay. Hopefully this is a great lesson for him.

dang James, you gave me the willies..... now steve will tell you , nothing good can come from riding at night :laugh: glad you were on your game :)

It was weird Randy. Like I said, slow motion. I have been riding for over 20 years and have only had to stop like like that maybe a couple of times. I am just glad Cody didnt freak out on me, but I stayed calm too. Just strange.

James...I'm proud of you for the way you handled that situation. :beerchug:

Also, I cannot reiterate strongly enough the difference the HIDs make. I echo your assessment that no future bike of MINE is going to be without.

Glad you're safe, brother. Very glad, indeed.:bowdown:

Scar

It was weird Randy. Like I said, slow motion. I have been riding for over 20 years and have only had to stop like like that maybe a couple of times. I am just glad Cody didnt freak out on me, but I stayed calm too. Just strange.
I think I have a bit of that sensation when I shot that corner this last summer thinking it was a kink in the road and not a sweeper...

you still shaking? :laugh:

James...I'm proud of you for the way you handled that situation. :beerchug:

Also, I cannot reiterate strongly enough the difference the HIDs make. I echo your assessment that no future bike of MINE is going to be without.

Glad you're safe, brother. Very glad, indeed.:bowdown:

Scar

Thank you Scar. I am firm believer in them, even more so now.

I think I have a bit of that sensation when I shot that corner this last summer thinking it was a kink in the road and not a sweeper...

you still shaking? :laugh:

No Randy, not all. I told Juli what happened when I got home. :whistle:

Whoops............she got on to me. :director: Slow down, its the time of the year they move.........she was right. :laugh:

Sharing a couple of HID pix... for you, James.

:beerchug:

Sunday, 05OCT08 (1).jpg

Hwy15.jpg

Wow, glad everything turned out the way it did. I've been toying with what mods to do this winter and HID has been one on the list. Pretty sure it just got moved closer to the top after reading your story.
:thumbsup:

Back