I think my clutch has stiffer race springs, any way to check?

rashad

Registered
I noticed my clutch is waaaay harder than my buddies on his busa..

Someone said I had race springs

The bike was drag raced for two years so I probably do. Any way to check without buying stock springs and just swapping them?

racing spings or stiffer ones are longer than stock, usually when someone adds them they just put in three, u can take you cover off and look, also the stock version will almost be flush with the clutch where as heavy duty springs will stick out.

Measure the springs with a caliper.
The stock springs will have a free lenght of 1.100" and a wire diameter of .090"

Most of the heavy duty springs will have a wire diameter of .100 to .120.

Also look and make sure there are no spacers.

If there are spacers or heavy duty springs. Pull the hub down to make sure they did not lock it. Either a welded hub or a APE or Brock replacement hub or a lock ring... If any of these have been installed to lock the hub, you will have to put it back stock or use heavy springs.

Last edited:
Measure the springs with a caliper.
The stock springs will have a free lenght of 1.100" and a wire diameter of .090"

Most of the heavy duty springs will have a wire diameter of .100 to .120.

Also look and make sure there are no spacers.

If there are spacers or heavy duty springs. Pull the hub down to make sure they did not lock it. Either a welded hub or a APE or Brock replacement hub or a lock ring... If any of these have been installed to lock the hub, you will have to put it back stock or use heavy springs.

I installed the Brocks 1 piece hub and installed the spacers that came with it.
What is the reason that you have to use them?
Wouldn't it work with the stock springs?

I installed the Brocks 1 piece hub and installed the spacers that came with it.
What is the reason that you have to use them?
Wouldn't it work with the stock springs?

No. With the stock springs it will not have enough pressure to prevent slippage.

Take a look at the stock unit you pulled out. It works somewhat like a lockup does. When power is applied, the two pieces twist and it changes the pressure put on the plates. When you lock the two pieces together it has less spring pressure than it does if the two-piece unit does under acceleration. Brock supplies .180â€￾ spacers to increase that tension to make up for the loss of the two-piece unit. The springs at installed height have about 30-35lbs of static pressure. It goes to 50lbs with the .180 spacers.

No. With the stock springs it will not have enough pressure to prevent slippage.

Take a look at the stock unit you pulled out. It works somewhat like a lockup does. When power is applied, the two pieces twist and it changes the pressure put on the plates. When you lock the two pieces together it has less spring pressure than it does if the two-piece unit does under acceleration. Brock supplies .180â€￾ spacers to increase that tension to make up for the loss of the two-piece unit. The springs at installed height have about 30-35lbs of static pressure. It goes to 50lbs with the .180 spacers.

Makes sense.
Thanks! :thumbsup:

ok.. kinda weird...but I didnt spend a lot of time looking at this to be fair..

I real quick pulled off the three bolts for the clutch cover and there was a rubber pad under the metal cover.. and then another metal cover..??? I didnt know where to go from there..lol..

:poke: you took off the outer cover not the case cover...that is only for looks lol
check the dial on the clutch lever first(circular thingy with numbers on it).. if yours is set at 6 and your friends is set at 1 or visa versa, this would make them seem to be very different as well

i had only 4 settings while he had 5..yet another weird thing about my bike.. But no the settings dont matter its definitely stiffer. works fine but stiffer..and it has been bled.

Back