I Think I'm Done Being Generous

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
I see that a guy on here is looking for an OEM front axle. I have one sitting in a box from when I switched to Ti axles. So I PM him and he responds, sends his address. Seems like a decent guy so I send it to him and told him no charge, pay it forward - that's how we roll. I check the tracking number to see if it got there and it says it's been delivered. So I PM him and ask if he got it. Crickets. He couldn't even say thanks when I gave him the part and shipped it for free to him.

To be honest most of the stuff I have given away here went to cool people who used it and had fun with it. But this is the last part I give away to someone I don't know.

I once donated 100 man hours restoring a destroyed zrx1100 . The zrxoa donated parts and sent them to me . Thousands of dollars worth . Another member painted the body work . Owners boss bought a used zrx 1100 engine I installed.
It was given to a man named Larry .
6 weeks later he fell of the wagon for drugs.
Bike was found in Louisiana on craigslist from some one he sold it to for the next high.
I was pretty upset about it then .
Our President said to me the actions brought the OA in as a team to help . We did our best ,and succeed in the job .
Don't let it get you down my friend.
Remember life throws some real curveballs, and what was important last week no longer matters now .
Thank you for sending the axle ;)

If you get board. Many photos are gone but some are there and story .

I once donated 100 man hours restoring a destroyed zrx1100 . The zrxoa donated parts and sent them to me . Thousands of dollars worth . Another member painted the body work . Owners boss bought a used zrx 1100 engine I installed.
It was given to a man named Larry .
6 weeks later he fell of the wagon for drugs.
Bike was found in Louisiana on craigslist from some one he sold it to for the next high.
I was pretty upset about it then .
Our President said to me the actions brought the OA in as a team to help . We did our best ,and succeed in the job .
Don't let it get you down my friend.
Remember life throws some real curveballs, and what was important last week no longer matters now .
Thank you for sending the axle ;)
Yup, you guys did the right thing in helping someone out, even if they don’t appreciate it it’s their loss and you have respect from the rest of the guys helping.
Thanks Bryan for your selflessness.

:thumbsup:

I will look at that.

This has finished bike n photos from paul my dear friend who painted it . Larry is the older man bald .

I don't blame you for being upset about it, fallenarch. Showing gratitude is free and a lot of times, it's all a person expects in return for a good deed. I don't know why people neglect to show thanks.

Reminds me a little of my cousins's wedding last year. I popped $300 in a card and that for me is a very large gift. I only give my kids that kind of money. I had a falling out with the cousin years back and I just decided getting married is one of the greatest things in life so why not make it a great gift and show I hold no hard feelings. Well, I felt a little snubbed at the wedding but I understand weddings, the bride and groom are very busy so I'll just wait for a nice thank you. I guess you know how the story ends. Right, never heard a peep. You can bet I won't shy away from coming right out and asking about it the next time I see this cousin though.

I don't blame you for being upset about it, fallenarch. Showing gratitude is free and a lot of times, it's all a person expects in return for a good deed. I don't know why people neglect to show thanks.

Reminds me a little of my cousins's wedding last year. I popped $300 in a card and that for me is a very large gift. I only give my kids that kind of money. I had a falling out with the cousin years back and I just decided getting married is one of the greatest things in life so why not make it a great gift and show I hold no hard feelings. Well, I felt a little snubbed at the wedding but I understand weddings, the bride and groom are very busy so I'll just wait for a nice thank you. I guess you know how the story ends. Right, never heard a peep. You can bet I won't shy away from coming right out and asking about it the next time I see this cousin though.

What exactly would you ask him, a year+ later?

@fallenarch Members name please ?
Rubb.
So when I typed the post I had the person's name in it. I decided that would not be productive. When you give something away you always risk the person thinking they played you or something. As the saying goes "give because you want be be a person willing to help, not to be a person famous for helping". Now that I know this guy is low integrity, it's best to be done with him and putting his name in here would just mean more back and forth. Besides, doing it this way leaves the door open for him to make it right.

I posted this mainly to remind people that if you want the generosity of this group then at a minimum you should at least be decent.

Cool thread B. You da man!

I hear ya fallen,but after 17 years on here,some time behind the scenes as admin I know a couple things. I know a couple things about you,and this non-action of the member in question towards you,kinda bugs me.
No biggie,its your deal my man...but a huge percentage of the men and women on this site mean a great deal to me. Therefore,I like to look out for them as best I can,if I can. Why should this person in question get freebies when others would be more grateful and appreciative. That's all.

Case in point,...just tonight. Got a PM from a member reminding me that he was very thankful for a part he got from me some time back. He thanked me back then,went out of his way to say thanks again. Asked for my mailing addy to send me something. Can't give details without his permission,which I will ask for,if granted,I'll add it to your thread here.

I've been blessed more times than I can count by good folks on this site.I bore the krap outa the members all the time with my mushy feelings about stuff all the time. I will give back till the day I am in the ground.
Rubb.

I see that a guy on here is looking for an OEM front axle. I have one sitting in a box from when I switched to Ti axles. So I PM him and he responds, sends his address. Seems like a decent guy so I send it to him and told him no charge, pay it forward - that's how we roll. I check the tracking number to see if it got there and it says it's been delivered. So I PM him and ask if he got it. Crickets. He couldn't even say thanks when I gave him the part and shipped it for free to him.

To be honest most of the stuff I have given away here went to cool people who used it and had fun with it. But this is the last part I give away to someone I don't know.
Willie,
Don’t let that guy’s actions bring you down or change your ways. Just need to be more “selective” on who you help. I have to admit I’ve been in your shoes a lot of times, and I’m sure other members have too and not just on the forums, but life in general. I know people that only remember to call me when they are stranded on the side of the road or need a “loan”, but know others that would do anything for me, because they are very thankful and appreciative of all the times I’ve gotten them out of a pickle. Give you a little example(s):

cousin calls out of the blue (hadn’t heard from her in weeks/months) and says: “hey can you check daughter’s boyfriend car? A/C quit working And he really doesn’t have money to pay a shop”. I say, ok, give him my address and ask him to be at my house At x:xx. Kid arrives and I get to work. Diagnose problem and tell him what the issue is and that it’ll require a junkyard visit to fix on the cheap. He has to work the next day and can’t afford to miss work, since he just has a little part time job right now due to pandemic. it’s freaking hot down here and I feel bad for the kid having to show up at work well dressed, but sweaty due to no A/C, so I decide to wake up next morning and get it all done. Take half of my day off to drive to junkyard, sweat my a$$ off pulling the part and get with him to fix the car after he gets off work. A/C kicks right on and I tell him is on me, since I know he is short on cash and kid is extremely happy and thankful................Haven’t heard them ever since.
on the other hand, my mom’s best friend needed a brake job on her car and she happens to mention to mom how she needs to come up with $400 dollarsTo get it done. Mom calls me and asks if I can help and I ask her to send me the papers from the shop so I can see what they are recommending. Go over it, cross out the usual BS they list just to get people’s money and give her an estimate on parts and tell her labor is on me. We agree on a time and I go to the auto parts store to get the parts, while she is at work. She arrives and I get it all done and tell her she is good to go. She refunds me the money I spent on all the new parts and tries to give me a little extra, but I insist is not needed and I’m happy to help. I know she is a mother of twin teenagers that just went through ugly divorce and trying to make ends meet, so she is tight on cash. She leaves my house extremely thankful and with fresh brakes. I get really sick a few weeks after that and mom mentions to her friend how she is worried about how sick I’ve been. Lady calls me and says she is stopping by to drop off something. I’m like, Uhhhh.... ok(?). She shows up with a bag full of cough drops, DayQuil, theraflu, etc. and wishes me a quick recovery. People like her are the ones that keep me motivated to use the little knowledge and resources I might have to help others and is very gratifying, so again, we just have to be more careful about who we extend a helping hand to.

Last edited:
So when I typed the post I had the person's name in it. I decided that would not be productive. When you give something away you always risk the person thinking they played you or something. As the saying goes "give because you want be be a person willing to help, not to be a person famous for helping". Now that I know this guy is low integrity, it's best to be done with him and putting his name in here would just mean more back and forth. Besides, doing it this way leaves the door open for him to make it right.

I posted this mainly to remind people that if you want the generosity of this group then at a minimum you should at least be decent.
I will say im against him not responding to your pm but I can say that I remember that post and I did go back and look it up and he did thank you and let you know "your the man". Not defending in anyway because ive received a few gifts from the family here and while im not a words or emotions type of person I did try to make sure that it was known how much I really appreciated it. But as was said you can't let one apple spoil the bunch, I've seen a lot of good you've done on here and can't imagine you just stopping.

Back