I Think I upset the work gods today

jwcfbd

Administrator
Donating Member
Registered
This is my rotation week at work which means that I work 6 days in a row and get a 3 day weekend. Well this week has sucked and the weather today is very nice so last night I put my name in the book at took the day off to go fishing.
Apparently a BIG MISTAKE. If it could go wrong it did.
1) when it's cold out I wear my helmet in the boat as to not freeze my eyeballs. I made end of the road and noticed that I forgot my helmet. Turned around and got it.
2) Got down to the ramp and just as I was about to put the trailer in the water I noticed that I forgot my boat keys. Turned around back to house and got the keys. Back to the lake I go.
3) Get the boat unloaded but with the winter lake levels(remember the water level part. we'll be back to it) the dock is on dry land. I ran the boat into the sand so I could go park the truck. I go to jump out of the boat but I can just barely make it to dry land. So I pull the boat up just a little so I can get back in. Truck is now parked and I'm back in the boat with dry shoes. :cheerleader: So now I'm off or so I thought. I put the boat in reverse but she's a no go. I'm stuck, put it in neutral, get out the oar and push it off the dirt. No luck it's all sand and the oar just sinks in. Finally I find some hard dirt and get the boat pushed back. :cheerleader: Let the fishing begin.
4) I looked at the lake map last night and figured out where I was going to try my luck. So away I go. I ran up the lake and as I rounded the curve to my fishing spot I see that about 5 other guys had the same idea. :banghead: So I do the next best thing, continue up stream.
5) As I'm heading up the lake I start to see some floating logs so now I'm on the lookout for that stuff. When I noticed that dry land is coming up fast. I get off the gas and shut it down. A quick look at the fish finder and the lake chart shows that I should be in about 20ft. Remember the winter lake levels I mentioned earlier. I checked that last night as well and it showed it down 12ft. No problems I've still got 8ft under me right? OH NOOO I'm sitting in about 2ft. ::11 The logs I thought were floating were just sticking out of the water. Now I'm screwed... I took off the helmet, switch over to sonar and start watching the bottom contours. Looking at the chart overlays I should be heading to deeper water but it's getting shallower, I turned around and found deeper water again. I started heading back the way I came but keep finding shallow water. Now I'm just about to run her dry but I shut down the engine just in time not to. I had to tilt the engine all the way up and run the trolling motor to back up and find a deep hole. Now I'm thinking I'm strained. I found a somewhat deep spot and figured all I can do now is go for it. I got in here in plain so I can get out on plain. :please: So I jump on it, get up to plain, trim it all the way up and hope I make it. As I'm looking out for logs and stuff I look at the sonar and see that I am running in less then 3 feet of water the whole way out. Just as I hit open water I look down and my helmet is gone. :banghead: I left it on the seat but it is nowhere to be found. I was just going to let it go but I can just leave a $500 helmet floating around by it's lonesome. I break out the binoculars and spot it about half way back up the channel. I followed the main channel as close as I can get and then used the trolling motor the rest of the way. I got it back. :cheerleader: Now back to deeper water again.
6) Back to fishing. I tried a bunch of different spots, lures and no luck. That's it I've had enough. I'm going home fishless. After about 6 hours on the water and nothing not ever so much as I bite.
7) I got the boat back on the trailer and head back home only to find that my garage won't open. NOW WHAT... I get to looking at that and find that the door is jammed into the track. I managed to get it open and then noticed the cables hanging down. The opening spring on one side broke. The hook broke so I got out the pliers and made a new hook. YEAH door is working again.. I'm home the boat and truck are back in the garage where they belong and I done for the day.

So what did I learn today you ask?
1)Don't blow off work to fish.
2)Don't trust the lake levels listed on the web.
3)When you turn on the fish finder and the first screen that comes up telling you not to use it for navigation. THEY MEAN IT.
4)Always run the depth reading on all pages of the fish finder. It's a new unit and I forgot that part on the chart plotter page. :banghead: It's on there now.. :whistle:
5)Helmets do float :rofl:

HPIM0102a.jpg

boat.jpg

Last edited:
They say the worst day hunting is better than the best day at work. Guess that doesent apply to fishing

They say the worst day hunting is better than the best day at work. Guess that doesent apply to fishing
Neah if I had to do it again I would in a second. Just next time I'll pay closer attention to the little details. :lol:

that sounds more like an adventure than a relaxing fishing trip :thumbsup:

Sounds like the truck got more miles today! :whistle:

Yup back to work for me but I did take the Firebird instead of the truck. Only to have it ran on me on the way home. I had to put the top up. :alcoholic:4 Oh well at least I got the car out had a great drive in.

Good thing you posted a pic of the helmet, because I was gonna ask what kind we were talking about here after reading your post.
Posted via Mobile Device

Good thing you posted a pic of the helmet, because I was gonna ask what kind we were talking about here after reading your post.
Posted via Mobile Device

:rofl: It's a snowmobile helmet I bought when I use to have a Busa and rode year round. It sucks on the road but works great in the boat. I live in GA so I can't tell you well in works on a sled. :laugh: I found this write up and it pretty much sums up why I really didn't want to lose it. Bombardier Modular Helmet

Back