i think i might have found a nice find M1 carbine

chrisjp

GM of Haya's in the Hills
Donating Member
Registered
gun shop said a guy had just traded it in. his father brought it back from ww2 and sat in a safe...it was passed to him and sat in a safe. so he decided to let it go to someone who appreciated it. its a 1945 Inland WW2 Carbine. i picked it up for only $550 and included 3 mags and 80 rounds of WCC (western cartridge company) 1943 ammo and 80 rounds LC (Lake City)1953 ammo

i did the best with net research and ill take pics if folks want of specific parts if it perks anyone's curiosity. the stock is great except for 1 scratch (i may look at match dyeing that) and wood chipped by the recoil plate. otherwise a very beautiful gun.

front barrel type 1 early narrow band "U" (inland early)
butt plate early inland diamond diagonal crosshatch (inland)
rear L flip sight inland right base unmarked left base "S" (inland)
front sight milled type 1 marked top "N" (inland)
extractor type 1? marked "WI" (inland)
flat bolt type 1? marked "IO" on right lug and a 1 marked in line with bolt on right lug (inland)
firing pin type 1? marked "WI" (inland)
slide type 1 11/32 marked "PI" (inland) flat under slide marked "J"
trigger housing type 3 (no bevels, squared rear lug) marked "inland" vertically in a house
trigger early or late?? marked "R.I." (inland)
sear type 1 marked "R.I." (inland)
hammer type 3 marked "H.I." (inland)
safety type 2 or 3? unmarked (inland didnt mark theirs)
magazine catch type 2 plane faced marked "EI" (inland)
recoil plate type 2 marked "DI" (inland)
main stock oval cut high wood marked "OI" (inland)
handgard stock 2 rivits marked "OI" (inland)
barrel marked behind front sight "INLAND MFG DIV
"GENERAL MOTORS"
"43"
barrel also marked half way down barrel on top "p" and on top in front of receiver "8"
barrel also marked on flat underneath with a square and 4 inside or possibly a J, a 2 with horizontal line and vertical line to left, c, w, big U, then Z and O by reciver
reciever marked "inland div 768***" with "o" in front of sight by cut for bolt, and at top of receiver "U.S. CARBINE CAL. 30 M1"
reciever also marked on left side "S.G" and bottom of front lug "R"

2 magazines marked Saginaw Steering Division of G.M. "KSG"
1 magazine marked Irwin Pedersen "K-IP"

IMG_1457.jpg

Nice. I've tried to do some research on my oldest. But all I could find was that it was built about 1910 and in Germany. Lol

image-1318550837.jpg

image-1318550837.jpg

I enjoyed shooting my Dad's M1 as a youngster in TN....great memories.

Don't touch it. Those scratches and chips are the history of which stories are told.
Scratch could have come from when the GI smacked a German soldier with it. You just never know.
And to 'fix' or refinish something like that would cover up the stories it bears.
Great find, markings are in order. Can possibly contact cmp for verification or let google be your friend.

How's the bore? Shiny or brown?

Edit: after looking it up I found out its a cheap Chinese copy imported in the 80s.
Ill give you $100 for it.

Don't touch it. Those scratches and chips are the history of which stories are told.
Scratch could have come from when the GI smacked a German soldier with it. You just never know.
And to 'fix' or refinish something like that would cover up the stories it bears.
Great find, markings are in order. Can possibly contact cmp for verification or let google be your friend.

How's the bore? Shiny or brown?

Edit: after looking it up I found out its a cheap Chinese copy imported in the 80s.
Ill give you $100 for it.

bore is very shiny. parkerization is not worn that i can see...having a friend and fellow collector verifying with me this weekend.....ps...my feet are still wet from the boat i got off from yesterday saiid......nice try on the "cheap Chinese copy".... my research has put it $850-$1700 i saw a worse condition M1 carbine at a gun shop yesterday..he was selling his all marked up for $1440.... no sir...i am fairly convinced on my research....i got a keeper

I have an underwood model sitting in a safe I haven't touched in 20 years now. Maybe I should go check on it..but at last look it was in nearly perfect condition.

right now M1 carbines are going 850-1800 on gunbroker depending on the quality...mine...1400 and up without a doubt...and for buying it for only 550$... yep...im happy

Back