JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
and "the problem" was me!
sad.gif

as if it could've been anything else.
laugh.gif

"the problem": actually began the day i R&R the exhaust cam for the first time...as i should've zip-tied the cam chain to both the exhaust and intake side cam sprockets...but i didn't...i had only zip-tied the intake cam...and when i removed the CCT and the top damper?...The shid sprung and jumped..almost violently..which in hindsight is how i initially lost position on the exhaust cam and when i tried to get the exhaust cam sprocket arrow back on mark?..i encountered pressure on the cam lobes and didn't wanna believe there should've been any at all....and then?..and in my attempts to realign the arrow?..it seemed to be like "1/2 A Tooth" off..and now i know that "THAT" was due to having too much slack still in the cam chain..so...i took my best guess and was wrong..by one tooth..and when i corrected that?.."I"...ditzed out and never double checked my intake cam position....where in effect?...my correction of the exhaust cam..in turn...knocked my intake cam back a tooth...and this went on a couple times as i fought trying to figure things out until the wisdom of the cam gods (or my mothers prayers
laugh.gif
) finally smiled upon me and i figured it all out as described in the following....

"Cam Timing Lessons Learned"

1. Even When You Think You've Got It Nailed?: with all three timing marks in their proper respective positions?..you MUST physically/manually turn the crank over several times (With The CCT & Top Damper In Place) let'er click outwards and "then" re-inspect timing positions.

2. USE AN INSPECTION MIRROR: on your intake cam sprocket to make certain the arrow is aligned straight up as i found it extremely easy to parallex by one tooth when looking at it from the side as you would have to with the frame spar blocking any straight on view.

3. "YES": there will be valve spring tension against the cams as you re-assy...(this is where i fugged up big as that's exactly what "the initial almosy violent jump was about) at the initial dis-assy..that an extra zip-tie on my exhaust cam would've prevented and started all this shid.
sad.gif

4. TRYING TO RE-ASSY WITH TOO MUCH CAM CHAIN SLACK: will give you that "1/2 Tooth Off" condition..and you can't be certain your arrows are gonna line up correctly UNTIL TENSION IS PLACED ON THE CAM CHAIN via the CCT, Top Damper annnnnd?...Manually rotating the engine a few times..."THEN"...and only then..if the marks still line up?..ya got it.
biggrin.gif

so...yes...i'm disgusted with my own stupidity...but i managed to wade through my own ignorance and get'er done!
biggrin.gif

and i did it so many times now?..i finaly got it...with practice!
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

laugh.gif

sad.gif

biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

Congrats on getting her fixed up! I'm glad you posted about it again, wondering what was causing it was bugging me before.

Jinks, you could have written that in Japanese and I would have understood about as much
laugh.gif
That's why I aways appreciate your annotated pictures ... and, believe it or not, I not only find them interesting, but I actually learn something in the process.

Awesome that you figured it out, though!
beerchug.gif

(Relsek @ Jun. 21 2007,14:flamethrowing:) I was right.  
wow.gif
yeah...ya were...even if it was in a....

"just like the guy who picked the winning lotto numbers"

...sorta way.
laugh.gif

Perserverance pays off!!! Congratulations!

(Since I plan on learning from your experience, I'm gonna .pdf that whole thread and this one too!)

beerchug.gif

Thats great, Bill,, i dont think you'll be adjusting valves any time soon!

Nothin left to do but finish her up and ride! Good for you. Raydog

(GIXERHP @ Jun. 21 2007,16:04) Thats great, Bill,, i dont think you'll be adjusting valves any time soon!
why not?...i'm an expert now as...i know alllll of the symptoms of anything that could possibly go wrong!
laugh.gif

working your way through any and every mistake possible has it benefits...cause now not only do i know first hand all the easy mistakes?..but now?...i can simply listen to a busa and tell ya if it's the exhaust or intake cam that's a tooth off...and?....for bonus points?...i've picked up a lot of speed pulling valve covers...via lotsa repetition!
laugh.gif

I didn't screw anything up and i learned a lot...to me?...even though it was a comedy of errors?..i'm calling it a win/win.
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

laugh.gif

(JINKSTER @ Jun. 21 2007,20:40)
(GIXERHP @ Jun. 21 2007,16:04) Thats great, Bill,, i dont think you'll be adjusting valves any time soon!
why not?...i'm an expert now as...i know alllll of the symptoms of anything that could possibly go wrong!
laugh.gif

working your way through any and every mistake possible has it benefits...cause now not only do i know first hand all the easy mistakes?..but now?...i can simply listen to a busa and tell ya if it's the exhaust or intake cam that's a tooth off...and?....for bonus points?...i've picked up a lot of speed pulling valve covers...via lotsa repetition!
laugh.gif

I didn't screw anything up and i learned a lot...to me?...even though it was a comedy of errors?..i'm calling it a win/win.
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
It seem you have a good temper, i would have pulled my hair out!
pissed.gif

laugh.gif

I admire your perserverance in getting to the root cause of this Jinks. Lost of folks would have given up and taken it in to the shop. (me included)

Well done and thanks for passing on the knowlege
cool.gif

Back