I sure miss building customs...out of all sorts of bikes

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
I'm a little envious of my bro (losing his shop,that bro) he brought home another project to mess with in what could be his early forced retirement. Anyways,it takes me back to a time when I used to build customs for people and for myself.
You guys ever build anything cool? Got pics?
He's going to funk up an old XS650. Kind of a cool bike that I think Yammie "borrowed" some designs from Trumpet. The side X side twin is a classic.
Triumph...
300px-Triumph_Bonneville_IMG_2733.jpg

and Yammie's borrowed design

Yamaha_img_2227.jpg

fairly close right. So now you have a platform,the sky is the limit,the world is your oyster. Only limited imagination can hold you back.
I guess he has some idea's.

20201102_081452_Burst01.jpg

Modern inverted forks...

20201102_081416_Burst01.jpg

rear shocks that look cool and will actually work (better than yammie or trumpet)

20201102_081402_Burst01.jpg

Customizing can be a blast. I might say lose the air box and side covers all together...

20201102_081452_Burst01.jpg

throw on some K & N's and some hot rear sets,maybe color matched to the tins...

chop.jpg

Just qwik goofin,excuse my lack of computer grafic design...but you get the idea.
Do whatever you want. make it unique.
Front fender...these look cool

cf f.jpg

Thing about going glass or plastic is they are qwik and easy to work with. When I did Harley tins yer cutting,welding,bodyworkin for hours. With aftermarket stuff you can buy what fits,like what will fit a 17,18,19 inch wheel and fit between the forks.
I built an XV750 to somewhat resemble an HD softail using a fat bob tank and rear fender and an old Goldwing front fender. Just chopped an inch down the center and joined the 2 halves back together to squeeze between the tubes.
On this chop you could go so many ways. With those rear shocks on that angle a shorty HD rear fender might look cool.Solo seat.

hrf.jpg

Chop all that rear frame off. Or go long...stretch it out cafe style. looks like Jim has chosen a 2 into 1 header...but I'd go long,maybe a stretched tank too

stretch.jpg

That with a cafe seat and rear hump. Hey,whatever right. Tons of bar ops,looks like he's going motoX or something

20201102_081332_Burst01.jpg

I always liked zed bars and used them alot. Could go standard clip-ons,change out the top clamp...but zed bars rock

bars.jpg

Yer fuel cell is really the heart and soul of a chop. Its the first eye catcher usually. I employed the theory a few times that the smaller the tank is,the bigger the motor looks. This HD peanut tank might not work on this bike,but I love the fuel gauge...

tank.jpg

Anyway,just miss them days. Anybody messin' with project bike? I'd love to see it,bounce idea's,etc. I may grab something to goof with ultra slow, 50 bucks here and there. I have an' GF who likes the Jap cruisers and I have access to an' old Zook intruder I could probably get for free...IDK. Couple other ladies I know have expressed an interest in having something built.One would like an old HD Ironhead. I've got some idea's on that. Rigid springer.

t.jpg

Boring I know,everybody does them,but bare bones really rocks I think.

She's thinking more old meets new,like that warbird stuff...

u.jpg

Anyway...share up what you've built or wanna build.
Rubb.

triumph-bonneville-motorcycle-engine-.jpg

20201102_081430_Burst01.jpg

Ever ride a xs650? It's like holding on to a paint shaker. A friend had one he had heavy bar weights and the bars were filled with lead shot. LOL

cheers
ken

Ever ride a xs650? It's like holding on to a paint shaker. A friend had one he had heavy bar weights and the bars were filled with lead shot. LOL

cheers
ken
:laugh: Ya they come right from the factory with bar end weights.(6" tubes of steel inside them)
I was building one years back,got it all mint,just doing the final tune on it when I gave the throttle a twist...
bike was up on its center stand in the middle of my shop,I twisted the throttle and the thing vibrated so bad it literally travelled backwards about 10 feet across the floor and slammed the tail light into my bench.
Funny stuff. Some twin motors are the worst designed things ever imagined. A triple or in-line four balances naturally on its own as with say a busa motor. Cyl's 1 and 4 reach TDC then 2 n' 3.
When a twin fires like on an' HD motor the first cyl fires then the next at 315 degrees,then there is a huge gap of 405 degrees. Motor designs like this essentially shake and vibrate themselves to death. A one pin crank design just isn't good if you ask me.Riding sideXside twins can leave your hands and feet numb from vibration...but they can look cool.
Sometimes people design things that catch on...so companies just keep building them as long as they sell.
I think your most durable and reliable bike motors are your in-line 4's,yer V-4's and yer Honda pancake 6.
Building a chopper for creature comforts in not what most customizers have in mind when the start out. The use of hardtail frames,lousy brakes,awkward seating positions,on board fuel capacities of 2 gallons,steering geometries with rake/trail making it nearly impossible to corner are the norm. If you actually want to enjoy countless hours of comfy plush riding...
you dont build something like this...

t.jpg

...but they are cool to look at.
I just love the idea's guys come up with,good/bad/ugly. If I won the lottery I would build a state-of-the-art shop and just build bikes all day.
I turned out quite a few Jap choppers that guys still talk about to this day. They were recognized. I had a few trade marks that most of them got including flat black paint jobs that are so popular today even on new cars n' trucks.
I just cant relate to guys who think what they ride is the one only bike to have. They turn their noses up at everything that doesn't fit into their mind set. Sportbikes guys hate HD usually,HD guys have various nick names for us. BMW,Ducati,MV,etc riders think that everything else is is below them tech wise.
Had a guy look my bike over the other day...then he say's in a big ol tuff voice..."I'll ride harley or nothin' " So I said to the big gorilla..."So what do you ride" He says "Well nothin' right now" So I snapped back at him..."So you ride the fuggin bus eh?" :laugh: Thought I was gonna get punched in the face.
I'll walk up on a line of sportbikes or HD's and see one that's different. I'll check out the Honda750-four in the hardtail frame first. The owner is likely to be more entertaining anyway.
Party on Ken...:super:
Rubb.

Back