I should have taken the BUS

Dougyp333

Registered
This thread is intended to be an on going thing as I update and ride my bike. It's just easier for me that way, everything in one spot.
Some of this info has already been covered in other threads so please bear with me.
small image.jpg

I purchased my 2003 Busa out of Arizona in November sight unseen and the seller dropped it off at my parents place. They parked it in the garage until Christmas when I was able to go down south and ride it a bit before I dropped it off at a local dealer to have it shipped back to me in Iowa. The Bike has 29,000 miles and only a few mods. They consist of:
Yoshi slip on mufflers,
Windshield,
Center stand,
Clear turn signal lenses,
Tank Bra,
Throttle Miester.

I took delivery on MLK day. 15 Degrees F bright sun and 40 MPH winds with blowing snow:lol: not really riding weather but I got her put up and the battery pulled. Only had to push it through a couple of snow drifts.:banghead:

Yesterday I pulled the ECU and dropped it in the mail to Frank over at Powerhouse so he can flash it.

Now to a couple of questions. I am having issues with the center stand. It's a major 3!tch to get it on the stand. The main problem is there isn't a good spot to grab the bike. The entire back end of the thing is plastic. What am I missing or should I just put the grab handle on and be done with it?

Also I have a few mods on the short list but the budget is tight due to another major project that I have this summer that is sucking up all my time and money (more on that later), so I was hoping for a little help on the list order. Kind of a need VS want evaluation.

The short list includes:
Radiator protection screen
Pair valve block off/ removal
upgrade brake lines, is the MC needed as well for significant improvement?
Oil pump gear
Mofset regulator, not doing the stator as I don't need the extra juice
LED lights all around, maybe a projector for the headlight but I don't do much night riding so....
Crankcase breather mod/relocation
Am I missing anything and what would you do first?
Thanks

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/threads/let-those-unused-parts-go.195722/page-2

Block off plates if no one has jumped on yet.

Have read different things on oil pump gear. Is that a mod people do on a stock bike?

Another post text about crank case breather. My opinion not needed for anything stock. But indonalotnof things not needed on my bike also.

But good break pads is a good improvement if it don’t have something good on it already.

Last edited:
Now to a couple of questions. I am having issues with the center stand. It's a major 3!tch to get it on the stand. The main problem is there isn't a good spot to grab the bike. The entire back end of the thing is plastic. What am I missing or should I just put the grab handle on and be done with it?

Also I have a few mods on the short list but the budget is tight due to another major project that I have this summer that is sucking up all my time and money (more on that later), so I was hoping for a little help on the list order. Kind of a need VS want evaluation.

The short list includes:
Radiator protection screen
Pair valve block off/ removal
upgrade brake lines, is the MC needed as well for significant improvement?
Oil pump gear
Mofset regulator, not doing the stator as I don't need the extra juice
LED lights all around, maybe a projector for the headlight but I don't do much night riding so....
Crankcase breather mod/relocation
Am I missing anything and what would you do first?
Thanks
Yes hard to balance bike & lift onto stand while pushing down on stand peddle. Leave kick stand out push down on small peddle while lifting up on left passenger peg hanger. Sill sucks but will work.

Passenger peg hanger. I will try that. Thanks Nastee.

202, Pair valve block off plates are only 30 bucks so I will spend the cash for the clean look when I get too it. Even if you can't see them:beerchug:

Mathew, Frank recommended the oil pump gear and I can't see more oil movement through the engine as a bad thing. I was unsure about the breather and will leave it off the list unless I hear a persuasive argument otherwise. The brake pads are good. The guy I bought the bike from really took care of it but it still has rubber lines.

This thread is intended to be an on going thing as I update and ride my bike. It's just easier for me that way, everything in one spot.
Some of this info has already been covered in other threads so please bear with me.
View attachment 1593910

I purchased my 2003 Busa out of Arizona in November sight unseen and the seller dropped it off at my parents place. They parked it in the garage until Christmas when I was able to go down south and ride it a bit before I dropped it off at a local dealer to have it shipped back to me in Iowa. The Bike has 29,000 miles and only a few mods. They consist of:
Yoshi slip on mufflers,
Windshield,
Center stand,
Clear turn signal lenses,
Tank Bra,
Throttle Miester.

I took delivery on MLK day. 15 Degrees F bright sun and 40 MPH winds with blowing snow:lol: not really riding weather but I got her put up and the battery pulled. Only had to push it through a couple of snow drifts.:banghead:

Yesterday I pulled the ECU and dropped it in the mail to Frank over at Powerhouse so he can flash it.
But your lenses look clear already ?
Are you meaning rears or are your fronts smoked?

202, Pair valve block off plates are only 30 bucks so I will spend the cash for the clean look when I get too it. Even if you can't see them:beerchug:

Mathew, Frank recommended the oil pump gear and I can't see more oil movement through the engine as a bad thing. I was unsure about the breather and will leave it off the list unless I hear a persuasive argument otherwise. The brake pads are good. The guy I bought the bike from really took care of it but it still has rubber lines.
The pair block off plates drop unnecessary weight of system & add back lst performance the system robbed to begin with. The breather lets crank case vent without putting those gases into the air box. Air intake is cleaner so better HP 3-4. Not sure about oil gear jury out on that one. Moves oil away from areas possibly & oil volume is still restricted by other areas of oiling system. Sounds great but may not actually supply more oil & may be a negative oil wise to bottom end of motor. Think the regulator still limits the oil flow so oil gets moved but doesn't do what is advertised.

I remember reading this thread itbis about turbos. I’m no expert or claim to be. If frank recommends i would ingnore everyone.
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/thre...th-my-turbo-build-thread.178498/#post-3077598

Red05, I will look for that "slot" thanks.

Mathew, Excellent read about the oil gear. I didn't see that one in my poking around.

Jeff...24, The lenses are clear but they have standard (colored) bulbs in them. I want to switch to LED in the front and back with the rear turn signals integrated into the tail light as well. I also am going to add some extra lighting so I will be better seen on the road.

Red05, I will look for that "slot" thanks.

Mathew, Excellent read about the oil gear. I didn't see that one in my poking around.

Jeff...24, The lenses are clear but they have standard (colored) bulbs in them. I want to switch to LED in the front and back with the rear turn signals integrated into the tail light as well. I also am going to add some extra lighting so I will be better seen on the road.

If you want to be better seen, consider an led tail light. They are more eye catching than stock, and can help the idiot that's about to run you over to see you.

I have a set of Galfer clear/silver stainless steel brake lines if you're interested. Brand new in the package. I can get a clutch & rear brake made if you want a matched set. IMO stainless steel brake lines are the best mod you can do to this bike for the cost, stock rubber lines on both Gens are terrible. PM me if interested.

Nice bike!
In the slot in the plastic below the hump on the left side is a solid subframe handhold. I use it putting mine on a rear stand.

BINGO! Built in handle already in the plastics... ;)

I'd recommend a full exhaust pipe, PAIR-mod, airbox mod/ram air seals, and a tune just to start.

Then start reading, this entire forum has thousands of options for mods. If you need more power, look into a ported head/cams package to get you started.

OK finally made it out to where the bike is stored this winter a couple days ago, got the ECU pulled and it's at Powerhouse getting flashed. Also found the grab slot to lift the bike up for the center stand. I need to work on my technique :banana::banana:. What pig she was to get up on the center stand. Looking forward to warm weather with no patience what so ever.

OK finally made it out to where the bike is stored this winter a couple days ago, got the ECU pulled and it's at Powerhouse getting flashed. Also found the grab slot to lift the bike up for the center stand. I need to work on my technique :banana::banana:. What pig she was to get up on the center stand. Looking forward to warm weather with no patience what so ever.
Well this 3-5 inches of snow today should help. With practicing the patience.

Back