I saw this on yahoo news

MoNoXiDe

Registered
Thirty-three criminals ranging from age 20 to 46 with nicknames like "Scrap," "Moron" and "Yardy" were part of an organized group busted for swiping more than 60 high-end motorcycles valued at a half-a-million dollars off New York streets, police said.

Officers using wiretaps discovered "steal teams" would use stolen mini-vans with the backseats ripped out to snatch specific makes and models of motorcycles from wealthy neighborhoods -- sometimes in just 30 seconds, according to police. Other gang members would serve as retailers who would sell the bikes locally and internationally across the Caribbean, according to authorities.

On average, each motorcycle was valued at about $7,000 but was sold for $2,000 a piece, according to police, who announced the bust last July. In an embarrassing twist, one month after the arrests, seven of the bikes were stolen from an NYPD lot where they were being stored. Weeks later, two men from the Bronx were arrested for stealing the bikes, according to the NYPD.

wow. sounds like a new movie gone in 30 seconds :laugh:

I bet most of theses were Busas because they used the term High-end :thumbsup:

that is the risk of leaving a bike in public...2 guys can throw one in a box truck or van...they steal them from drag strips in the pits...racers are all around watching other people bikes / cars / kids...whatever... yet it stills occurs..it is nice to hear that somebody gets caught

Thirty-three criminals ranging from age 20 to 46 with nicknames like "Scrap," "Moron" and "Yardy" were part of an organized group busted for swiping more than 60 high-end motorcycles valued at a half-a-million dollars off New York streets, police said.

Officers using wiretaps discovered "steal teams" would use stolen mini-vans with the backseats ripped out to snatch specific makes and models of motorcycles from wealthy neighborhoods -- sometimes in just 30 seconds, according to police. Other gang members would serve as retailers who would sell the bikes locally and internationally across the Caribbean, according to authorities.

On average, each motorcycle was valued at about $7,000 but was sold for $2,000 a piece, according to police, who announced the bust last July. In an embarrassing twist, one month after the arrests, seven of the bikes were stolen from an NYPD lot where they were being stored. Weeks later, two men from the Bronx were arrested for stealing the bikes, according to the NYPD.

These guys would send out scouts who would walk around a nightime bike hangout holding their cell phones below their waists, while they took pictures of the license plates of the bikes they wanted. Then they would go to their other pal who worked at an insurance company, where they would run plate numbers and get addresses. After that, they would break into your garage and steal your bike. My store manager lost his turbo Busa like this. He regrets not going outside when he heard his two large Akitas barking - his 9 with the 18 round clip was right on the night table, and I am sure he would have fired twice, once in the air.:whistle: At least some of them were prosecuted and did time, and it is nice to know that one of them who was caught and paid his debt to society is now working at a bike shop while on parole.:poke:

Come and try to jack my bike.. I have enough bullets and guns to stop more than a few thief's. My bike has a Alarm and is locked in my garage what is attached to my house. the door's are all locked as well as the garage. my bedroom is above the garage so I hear any noise im down there.. 2nd I live in a dead end all the way on the end so ppl wanna fallow me home you cant do just a drive by and see where i live.. and here In Wi we have Concealed Carry.. and Im a proud carrying member.. Im having a tether added to my bike so knock me off to jack it bike shuts down and im reaching for my Glock .45.. and the Alarm has a disable. so I can shut the bike down. it has a 1/2 mile range.

Back