I rode on my first Poker Run

NCBusa2001

Registered
I attempted to go on my first extended ride since my surgery. (see update post https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/random-thoughts/115015-stopping-say-howdy-been-while.html#post2102184) I had a great time and am compelled to share.

I was invited to go with a friend (in pic) to a 26th annual ride at a black motorcycle club (Brotherhood of the horizion) in Robbins, NC. I was a bit skeptecial of attending a Hardley rally in the August heat, but I geared up and went anyway. Showing up on the only sportbike and the only "fool" wearing gear, I felt a bit out of place. The ride (poker run) was about 130 miles and consisted of about 100-150 bikes. I stayed in the back and have to admit I had a great time. I only gave into temptation one time (on a 65mph interstate) due to a buddy (in picture) talking about "how fast" his v-rod is (was).

The evening was filled with good old redneck fun, food and beer. The food (fried fish and chicken) was out of this world good. There was not one fight, problem or disturbance (which I would have bet against before attending). Even the friendly ribbing about my leathers subsided after a bit of education (though they still thought I was crazy in the 98degree heat).

I did sadly realize (after the ride) that sportbikes may not be in the picture anymore. After 22 years of riding "rockets" I may have to admit defeat. I'm getting the real urge to trade on a St1300 or a Kawi Concourse (sp), but that's for another post.

Cheers,
Chris

Img_0003.jpg

I did sadly realize (after the ride) that sportbikes may not be in the picture anymore. After 22 years of riding "rockets" I may have to admit defeat. I'm getting the real urge to trade on a St1300 or a Kawi Concourse (sp), but that's for another post.

Don't give in to pear pressure :laugh: Oh you said the Kawi Concourse... that's a really nice bike :thumbsup: i thought you were going to get a vibration special :whistle: I prefer metric iron:thumbsup:

Funny I ride with cruisers mostly an we had a guy on a V Rod pounding on his chest like a gorilla at me too...... He really didn't know what a Busa was guess he believed everything the sales man was shoveling at him to buy it:laugh: He is now on Kawi Concourse:laugh:

Last edited:

I think my next bike could be the Honda ST if they put the new 1200 in it.

Thats cool Chris. I to am think about my next bike being a Concourse, It would have been nice on the 700 mile trip i took saturday. I hope all is well with you and the family. Hope to see you at the bash. :)

Thats cool Chris. I to am think about my next bike being a Concourse, It would have been nice on the 700 mile trip i took saturday. I hope all is well with you and the family. Hope to see you at the bash. :)

Thanks everyone. Sorry for the late post.

Tim, I plan on making it to the bash if at all possible. God, I'm hoping to be able to do it. Hope all is well.

Chris

Back