I Really Want This Helmet But...

Longstone

Registered

I love the look of this helmet. It has the pull down sun visor, and Integrated Bluetooth which are the two main features I'm looking for in my next helmet. It's only $168 shipped. So even if I completely hate it, it's not like I'm out $350 (like I would be if I bought the Scorpion Evo 1k).

Now I've found a company that will ship it to the US. The problem? It's a European manufacturer therefore it's not DOT approved...at least not from what I've been able to find. I'm from Fla. so we don't have a helmet law, but if I do wear a helmet it has to be DOT approved....weird I know.

Anyway, does anyone know anything about Viper helmets that can provide more information? Like rather they like them, what the bluetooth quality is like, airflow, fit and rather or not it is or is not DOT approved?

I have no clue (obviously)...but I wonder if you can take a helmet like that some where to have it tested and given a sticker?

I don't know about the testing. I think the way they test them is by taking a few of the helmets at random from a batch and preform the tests. The tests actually compromise the integrity of the helmets tested. If the few tested pass the DOT certification process, that batch (minus the ones pulled for testing) is then passed on for sale.

If it can be tested and provided a DOT certification then great! I've just never heard of it.

Can anyone provide information regarding the helmet? Or helmets which are DOT certified that have the features the one in my original post have?

HERE is a good read if you want to know the differences. I believe the BSI is a higher standard than DOT. It's been a while since I read this so I'm going to read it again.

ECE 22.05 Motorcycle Helmet Standard - webBikeWorld

Looks pretty good for you... I would certainly not worry about the helmet itself.. the standard appears to be higher than SNELL or DOT.. AMA events accept the rating for racing :) May get cited for no DOT sticker all the same but sure looks like the safety of the lid is not at issue (most important) If you get this lid, I would like to hear how the bluetooth works..

I would be careful about buying a helmet that getting PARTS for is a pain....i made that mistake won't do it again...

ive never had a helmet checked by an officer personally and like someone else has said the bsi ratings are higher than the dot

Per Mike @ cyclenet this helmet is not DOT approved.
but DOT helmets do not meet the Euro standard in many cases..

the Euro standard is tougher than DOT from what I could find.. may be incorrect but I also find the "Snell" system archaic and seriously deficient in real world benefit..

Correct as I stated earlier, but if it is not DOT approved they may not be able to ship it to the US. I'm waiting on a response.

I've already contacted them, they don't have a problem shipping it to the US. Your right about the parts, even if I wanted a different visor it could be a pain to get.

I'm starting to think I shouldn't just save for the Scorpion EXO 1000 and by a Motorola Mini H9.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Last edited:
Just gently pull the DOT/ Snell sticker off one of your other helmets and apply to this one...:laugh:

If the standards are indeed higher on that helmet than our DOT/Snell ratings, I'd do that in a heartbeat---no one would ever know...:whistle:

Just gently pull the DOT/ Snell sticker off one of your other helmets and apply to this one...:laugh:

If the standards are indeed higher on that helmet than our DOT/Snell ratings, I'd do that in a heartbeat---no one would ever know...:whistle:

or go to your local Harley shop that carries the stickers they put ALL over their skull caps. Most have DOT stickers for the guys that ride with novelty caps. They will not pass close scrutiny but from a distance will get you by.

I tried this helmet on last week.... I thought the quality fit the price point. (Low) The flip down visor doesn't cover the same way a full tint visor does, and would be awkward with gloves on.

DOT does not actually test helments. They only provide the standard. The manufacture basically self certifies. DOT only looks into complaints. The ECE actually tests each production run.

The bottom line is that DOT certified means and guarantees nothing. It'a another example of our feel good legislation.

Back