I now know how low "too" low is :(

dx3

Registered
Well guys,

Picked up an 07 Busa a couple of days ago lowered with the Soupys kit. Apparently, it sits a little too low. Riding hom from work today I went over a dip in the road, heard a noise, and knew something bad had happened. When I got off the highway I noticed the bike sounded more like a Harley than a Busa. I drove home and looked underneath the bike to find a huge gash in the right side of the section where the headers go from 4 into 2 (lowet part of the exhaust piping). So, I now have a huge gash in it and am not sure if it can be welded. Even if it can, it has now lost diameter in the piping. I should mention it is a stock exhaust.

As luck would have it, I just won a set of Yosh cans on ebay that were shipped to me this morning. I really wasn't planning on putting anymore money into the bike, but am now left with some choices.

1. Try and have the hole welded and suffer weak performance until I decide to pony up for a full exhaust system, and then sell the cans I just bought.
2. Buy a set of used stock headers and install them.
3. Buy a Yosh full system and then sell the cans I just bought.

I also have some other questions:

I have a rear stand but not a front stand. I really don't want to buy a front stand right now. How long/difficult it is to replace the exhaust system from headers back? Is it worth it to go to the trouble of replacing stock with stock, considering the time and what it would cost me to buy stock headers?

Confused and mad :banghead: Advice appreciated,
Jonny

Sell or trade the cans for a full system:thumbsup: Oh yeah and maybe raise the bike a tad:whistle:

:rofl:

Sorry for laughing but when you said 'I really didn't plan on putting more money into the bike' it made me chuckle. Modding is a disease not easily quit.

It's not too diff to replace headers on a bike just time consuming and attn to detail is called for.
I'd put the yosh cans on with a Vance and Hines header. Ive heard it will work.

Yes it can be welded. The rashed/bent part can be replaced with new tubing or sheetmetal to retain the proper shape. I would do that myself personally, but I own a welder and wouldn't have to pay the labor. The labor would probably cost more than a used factory header though. Especially if someone has to/will do the work with your header still mounted to the bike.

You shouldn't need a front stand to change the headers. There are some variations, but mainly you take off the fairings, loosen the radiator so that there is more room to pull the header, and unscrew the header bolts. The process usually takes between 2-4 hours on average from my experience, maybe 6 if you need plenty of beer breaks and you're not too mechanically apt :beerchug:

A suggestion I would offer is that you'll be needing a tune to go with those cams, and you'll need a tune for a full system if you ever decide to get one. It would save money and time overall to install a full system at the same time as the cams and just get the one tune done. If you don't want to spend the cash on a full system, buy a used header and spend an evening replacing it.

I have a set of oem headers you can have for shipping. They came off my 06.

I will be out of town for the next several days, but can ship them in about a week.

pm me if interested

Try a thread first asking if someone has some stock headers they are willingto part with. A lot of people here have upgraded and moved on to full exhaust so you may find someone to let theres go cheap then go from there with other options

There's some great offers being posted! This place is awesome, that's for sure!! But we all know that already....

I have one in the shed too that was for a project I never finished. Pay shipping and its yours. Just shoot me a pm if interested.:beerchug:

Let me know how much you wanna sell your Yosh cans for if you decide to go that route. Which Yosh cans are they?

if you can get the hole patched up I would leave it if you dont want to spend more $. unless the tube is completely flat it will not hurt the performance as much as you think and has been proven here many times. I think most of us here with lowered bikes have smashed in header tubes

Guys,

Firstly I wanted to thank everyone here for your amazing generosity. This place truly is like a family :bowdown:

Does anyone know if the Gen II headers fit on a Gen I? There is a guy "somewhat" local who will sell me some for cheap. He said they will fit, but I didn't think they would...?

If not, Pcosho I will shoot you a PM now. And BlueHaya, thank you for your very kind offer. I'm thankful to have you guys around. :beerchug:

I almost want to say screw it and just order the full Yosh system, but I'm trying to be strong ;)

Thanks again folks.

Also, can anyone point me to a good thread for removing the headers? I have the general idea but am not 100% One final, although lame question. I have the Soupy adjustable links on the bike. I tried to raise them last night, but I don't know what I have on the front in terms of lowering. I raised the Soupy's as much as I could and it really didn't make much difference on the place where the damage occured...

Kindest regards,
Jonny

Oh yeah, here is the carnage

62659f10.jpg

d6e2a615.jpg

Jonny

Man....that hit was close to being a MUCH bigger problem! LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY!!!

As for the front end lowering....show us a pic of the front end...from the top, as you sit on the bike. I suspect your forks were lowered through the tree, but there are a few ways to lower.

Back