I need your honest opinion on Trailer tie down

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
Ok folks, with a new trailer and and all the prep work that goes into making sure your baby doesnt get into the wall or the other bike in there with her, I have built a stand for the rear end. I guess I am going to have to use straps anyway, but I was trying to get away from that. Please look at this and tell me what you think, no feelings will be hurt, I want this to be safe. As you can see I have a 5/8 steel rod run through the axle. It fits snug on the right side, not so on the left, you will see what I mean in a minute. It pins to the floor so I can take it out in a matter of seconds. Keep in mind, if this works I will clean it up and paint it.

Stand_003.jpg

It is rock solid pinned to the floor, that movement comes from the play in the axle rod on the left side.

Stand_005.jpg

Axle rod, I need a bushing of some sort to make this fit better, any ideas?

Stand_004.jpg

something along this line should do the job: rubber bushings

i would go to the local co-op or tractor/farm supply store and see what they had that would work
beerchug.gif

Good idea Semi, I will have to check out the local farm and tractor supply. Here is what I got done today. Recessed d-rings installed, compressor mounted, and I need one more longer allen head bolt to mount the rear stand. Its tight, but the bikes are rock solid with straps and the harbor freight wheel chocks.

Stand_006.jpg

Lookin' good, James. Would a regular rear stand not have worked?

Yep Yep I think your on the right track for shore..
bowdown.gif

Looks good James.

One of the guys posted a pic of his tied down with using the rear stand. I guess it would be ok if you didnt really crank the straps down. I am going to expirement both ways. I had the steel and I can weld, so I just wanted to see what I could come up with. I was going for the strapless tie downs, but there is too much play in it.

One of the guys posted a pic of his tied down with using the rear stand. I guess it would be ok if you didnt really crank the straps down. I am going to expirement both ways. I had the steel and I can weld, so I just wanted to see what I could come up with. I was going for the strapless tie downs, but there is too much play in it.
Trailer looks great! I guess I don't understand the need for any stand in the rear other than trying to go for the no strap deal. I would think the busa would be much more secure with just the straps rather than up on the spools.

It would have to be secured in the spools or it would bounce out during transport correct?

Back