I need the board's input.

you buying a new one Chris?
rock.gif

I'd say get a ride on them and see whats up.  The RC51s are nice, I rode my buddies before he wrecked it, damn thing was a blast
cool.gif
Thanks Brian,

Yea, I thought I was going to do it last season too. This year it's a for sure. I was thinking about going with the 08busa for a while, but what would I do with two of em.

I wish I could find a dealer somewhere who would let me take a few different models for a spin. That would make my decision a bit easier.

To tell the truth, It's a bit daunting to base one's buying choice only on magazines and sitting on em at dealerships. Kind of like buying a mail order wife without ever having a first date. Hence, I figured I could get some real world info from the Board.

BTW, any interest in doing a track day or two this year. (if your around long enough
smile.gif
)

you buying a new one Chris?
rock.gif

I'd say get a ride on them and see whats up. The RC51s are nice, I rode my buddies before he wrecked it, damn thing was a blast
cool.gif
Thanks Brian,

Yea, I thought I was going to do it last season too. This year it's a for sure. I was thinking about going with the 08busa for a while, but what would I do with two of em.

I wish I could find a dealer somewhere who would let me take a few different models for a spin. That would make my decision a bit easier.

To tell the truth, It's a bit daunting to base one's buying choice only on magazines and sitting on em at dealerships. Kind of like buying a mail order wife without ever having a first date. Hence, I figured I could get some real world info from the Board.

BTW, any interest in doing a track day or two this year. (if your around long enough
smile.gif
)
I think you got just that from Vman ...
beerchug.gif

Chris,

I have ridden them all. All are so close in performance, so that is really not the issue. As for availability of parts, same way all have spares a plenty.

My suggestion, get thee to a local dealer and see which one you fit on better. We are close to the same weight, however you are a bit taller. The R1 fit me better than any of the others.

You are more than welcome to give mine a try in April....
Kevin, Thanks, your advice is always welcome. The bash is kind of my deadline to have one. I figure the THP won't have the place locked down by April. I really want to feel the difference at the gap with a lighter bike (not counting the trip I took the DR-Z).

I take it you got your R1 back up to speed after your low side?

At any rate, Can't wait to see everyone at the bash.

I have an '07 750. One of the best things about gsxrs is they're easier to work on. And many of the same tools/parts are used with the busa and the gsxrs. For example, my 750's oil filter is the same as my busa's.

If you don't work on your own bike, then I would go with comfort first.

get a gsxr 600 or a cbr 600, they have the best aftermarket, its to bad we live far apart my friend has a 2004/5 cbr 600RR set-up for track use and its in very good condition and has the best of everything and to top it off he'd make somebody a great deal
thanks.  I've thought about getting a 600.  There is a plus with a 600, in that if/when I wad it up on the track I wouldn't be crying about the loss of $.  

However, my main concern with the 600's is my weight.  

On the track I'm probably faster than about 3/4 of the riders in my group.  I would hate to bust my rear working my way through the "train" in the tight stuff, only to be blown by on the straight by more motor.  I't trying to avoid any additional frustration.
ya i know what you mean i'm a big guy myself, this particular cbr 600 is sprung for a heavy rider

First of all, comfort is not an option when doing track days, so why even bother.  Any SS bike will feel cramped with your size.

Liters bikes in the hands of anyone other than a seasoned racer is a no-no, if you are truly fast that is.  Because of the power they will be more prone to high-sides, low-sides by corner entries exceeding your capabilities, and they also eat up tires like a mofo.  You can easily destroy a set of tires in ONE DAY on a liter bike if you ride hard.  

600's are not slow even with your weight.  You'll be a better rider if you buy one and stick to it.  Plus, it'll give you incentive to loose weight.

750's don't have different parts than 600's or 1000's, so part availability is a stupid reason not to buy a 750.

I went with an 01 750 for a track bike.  Got a mint street bike with 4k miles for $4,500.  Sold off all my street parts, put the money in suspension, brakes, pipe/pc, and some crap used sharkskinz (broke even in cost).  After a few days I was running race pace on a bike with less than 5K into it (1.13's at Putnam Park, 1.10's at Gateway).  

My 750 with a whopping 125rwhp would destroy a set of Michelin Pilot Race tires in one hard day at the track, two days if the pace was a little slower.  It would routinely spin the tire coming out of corners in 3rd gear (I believe 17/42 gearing) and I could hang with 1000's on the straights all day long with my weight of 210lbs in street clothes.  At 120mph the liter bikes would start to pass but that was about top speed on most straights.

I would buy a used race ready 600 and go from there.  They are a dime a dozen, you won't loose money if you decide to sell it and you won't be sobbing in the pits when you wreck it (not being mean but if you are fast you will wreck)!  

beerchug.gif

On the track I'm probably faster than about 3/4 of the riders in my group.  I would hate to bust my rear working my way through the "train" in the tight stuff, only to be blown by on the straight by more motor.  I't trying to avoid any additional frustration.
If you truly learn how to ride a 600, even a decent rider on a liter WONT get past you even on the straight. It's all about corner speed and a hard drive out of the corners that dictate your top end speed on the straights. I've seen many 600's with 1.5 to 2 seconds within the WSMC Formula 1 class (the unlimited superbike class). Sure, they may have some "mild" mods, but they are testiment to good riding skills.

Chris,

I have ridden them all. All are so close in performance, so that is really not the issue. As for availability of parts, same way all have spares a plenty.

My suggestion, get thee to a local dealer and see which one you fit on better. We are close to the same weight, however you are a bit taller. The R1 fit me better than any of the others.

You are more than welcome to give mine a try in April....
Kevin, Thanks, your advice is always welcome. The bash is kind of my deadline to have one. I figure the THP won't have the place locked down by April. I really want to feel the difference at the gap with a lighter bike (not counting the trip I took the DR-Z).

I take it you got your R1 back up to speed after your low side?

At any rate, Can't wait to see everyone at the bash.
Yeah man, she is all ready to go for this season. I even have a projection beam HL and some LED tail lights just for some Gap action.

I road a 2006 Gixxer 1k on the track ...over 25000 miles most of the miles are track miles..never a problem...great bike, easy to work on (mods), handles great...After I put my full exhaust on it I was only 6lbs heavier then an R6...then changing sprockets and chain to 520 conversion took another 7lbs off...and if you like power...wich I'm sure you do if you own a busa...you want be disapointed...good luck

Here is some pics of my Gixxer edge2edgeracing

Ok, I'm probably going to get the (well a) bike in the next few days.

Simple question?

Is there a better 600 than the 2008 GSXR600? (Just don't reply "Kawi" anything please
smile.gif
)

I really REALLY want a 08 GSXR 1k. I mean the kind of want that yearns at your very soul. I find myself staring at pictures of the Suzuki AMA team bikes. Sick right? My wife thinks I have a thing for Maladin, Hmmm.

Grtpimp76. I've followed your exploits for years around here. You are now doubt a "rider" and I take your comments to heart. I think I'm leaning more towards your way of thinking. So even though I can have my "pick of the litter" so to speak, I'm thinking smart.

I figure a high side means missing work. The only question I have is which bike is that more likely to occur. Probably the 1k. Right?

Again I really do apprecieate the boards help with this.

Chris

Hmmmm no mention of the Yam R6 here? I see those on our track here a LOT. Spec and track feel-wise, if I were to buy a track weapon RIGHT NOW, I would get the Yamaha R6 for track only use. The GOOD RIDERS at our tracks use them, magazines say they are much more track oriented than the others. definitely go 600 class for a long time first. most of the 600 riders I know rip faster times on a 600 than 1000 - and they ride both

If I were getting a track bike that doubled as a STREET BIKE, I would get the Suzuki GSXR600 without hesitation. great feel and numbers with STREET adaptability also.

my 138 cents

Ok, I'm probably going to get the (well a) bike in the next few days.

Simple question?

Is there a better 600 than the 2008 GSXR600?  (Just don't reply "Kawi" anything please
smile.gif
)

I really REALLY want a 08 GSXR 1k.  I mean the kind of want that yearns at your very soul.  I find myself staring at pictures of the Suzuki AMA team bikes.  Sick right?  My wife thinks I have a thing for Maladin, Hmmm.  

Grtpimp76.  I've followed your exploits for years around here.  You are now doubt a "rider" and I take your comments to heart.  I think I'm leaning more towards your way of thinking.  So even though I can have my "pick of the litter" so to speak, I'm thinking smart.  

I figure a high side means missing work.  The only question I have is which bike is that more likely to occur.  Probably the 1k.  Right?  

Again I really do apprecieate the boards help with this.

Chris
Whateva you decide to go with, I'm sure it'll be the right decision for you.

600's: I haven't ridden them a lot, but the impressions I got from the ones I did get to test out last year at Fontana were Yamaha R6 and the CBR600RR, aside from the one I owned way back when (GSXR600).

R6-Man! great ride, feel, handling. Oh, did I mention handling?  
laugh.gif
 The geometry definitely has one of the smallest wheelbases and less raked than the other 6's.  Turn in was effortless. The slightest amount of input already had me dragging knees, and almost elbows if I tried, especially through Turns 5/6 Fontana. It does feel like the "smallest, lightest" of the bunch, which is very advantageous for late braking/trail braking scenarios. My only gripe was the lack of steering damper (sportbikerentals.com did use a GPR however with the test units) for stock units. That can be scary for a bike like this b/c it had the tendency to wanna "tuck" the front when going into the corners really hot. My other gripe is....it's a SMALL BIKE. I'm 6'0, and at that time 230lbs, and getting completely under the windscreen was hard. I like to have the chin of my helmet on the gas tank when tucked. Although it takes corners at crazy speeds, it felt "nervous" at mid-corner, but subsided with acceleration out of the corners that  stabilized the rear end a little more.

CBR600: in my opinion at the same track, had the total package. It was light, nimble, powerful, and had a nice predictable powerband. Not as nimble as the R6 (although it was probably even negligible as far as differences), it had quite a bit more corner stability and hard braking stability. That may also have to do with the slightly stiffer frame and swingarm angles. I also loved the way I could feel what the front end is doing under braking and cornering. I would buy the CBR just for that feature if I could. The 600 had better ergos for me, but still felt like a pretty small bike.

I do plan on getting a 600 in a couple of years b/c that would double the amount of classes I could race in at the club level. There are only so many Superstock, superbike, heavyweight, and unlimited displacement liter bike classes. But with a 600, you can enter just about anything, just short of the 250, 500, and motard classes. And you can race "up" against the 750's and liters if you so desire.

I hope this little tidbit helped too and thanx for following some of my track excursions thru the years.  
thumb_up.gif

beerchug.gif

BTW-an 08 Gixx1K is NOT a bad choice either...If you really wanna track something that new and pretty. check the WERA bbs boards nullWERA homepage too. Some club racers actually go through a new bike every 1 to 2 seasons. There are some spanking good deals that are to be had.

The best way to figure it out is
1. Book a track day.
2. There will be a rent a ride per session, usually $150 per session and they will have different makes of track bikes complete with new race rubber and set up for the TRACK not set up for street riding. Spend the $$ and make a serious coparison don't just take someone elses word. So two bikes test ride will cost you $300 + the $200(average) track day session. I never said it would be cheap but this is a way to answer your questions once and for all.
3. My .02 on your two choices is if it is to be a track day "ONLY" bike then Gixxer all the way. If it will be a street/track bike the Honda will have better ergonomics.
4. Forget about comfort, you probably will not spend "touring time" on the bike anyway.
5. If you look at the yami R's you might forget all about the Honda, then you get to have the GiXXER vs R6 choice to keep you up at night.

BTW-an 08 Gixx1K is NOT a bad choice either...If you really wanna track something that new and pretty.
OK, Thanks for the comments and bearing with my indecision.

I've looked at several bikes over the past few weeks. All the bikes that seem to be priced right have been stunted to death or otherwise abused. The "pristine" bikes are all overpriced and are only about a grand less than a brand spanking new one.

I have located my dream bike, 08 1k at a dealership near the Rock. Priced at $10,500 out-the-door. That doesn't sound too bad, does it? I'll be going tomorrow to look and hopefully pick up. Insurance will only go up $25 a month for liability and comprehensive.

Please comment, otherwise I'll post tomorrow to let everyone know what happened.

Chris

Back